Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

The strangest thing I remember growing up was how nobody drank water. Like ever. Kids drank juice or soda and milk when they were at school. Adults drank sweet tea and diet soda. Maybe Gatorade if they were working in the yard. My mom tried to fight this at home but she lost. Fast forward a couple of decades and with the advent of bottled water and at home water filters it turned out the tap water in our area just tasted really bad. A glass of filtered tap water seems to be the default in my old home town now.

So there's my suggestion to combat obesity for Americans. Make the tap water good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009

Ardennes posted:

I don’t have a problem with that either, if you are going to draw a line, make it economically and functionally sustainable. If you want to feed the maximum number of people with the least reasonable amount of dysfunction it makes a lot more to sense to have dairy and eggs in the mix than it doesn’t especially with technology limits.

In addition, if you want to offer people a diet, it just goes a long way to make it tastier/healthier. It doesn’t mean you can’t have alternatives either.

plants are already more efficient and sustainable. calories are wasted anytime you move up a trophic level. anything saying otherwise is meat industry BS. if you want the most efficient system then we should all eat algae paste which is x10000 more efficient than even plants.

but this doesn’t even matter because we already grow way more food than we actually need even with 80% of farm land being wasted on animal agriculture. we need to eliminate capitalism not double down on animal torture

as far as taste why not just come clean and admit you’re addicted to high calories foods like meat and cheese? that would at least be understandable and honest—though not excuse to kill and torture animals

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 94 days!
take it to pet island

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

The strangest thing I remember growing up was how nobody drank water. Like ever. Kids drank juice or soda and milk when they were at school. Adults drank sweet tea and diet soda. Maybe Gatorade if they were working in the yard. My mom tried to fight this at home but she lost. Fast forward a couple of decades and with the advent of bottled water and at home water filters it turned out the tap water in our area just tasted really bad. A glass of filtered tap water seems to be the default in my old home town now.

So there's my suggestion to combat obesity for Americans. Make the tap water good.

Growing up tap water was really the only thing we ever had to drink at home and it got ingrained enough into me that I carried it into adulthood. It’s nuts how all over the place tap water is but there’s a lot to be said for it just being better in places where it comes out of the tap cold instead of lukewarm.

The tap water in San Diego is about the worst of anywhere in the US, right up there with New Orleans. On the other hand the tap water in Portland is great. Those are the poles, everything else is somewhere in the middle and sometimes seasonally varied. I remember the tap water in western Ohio being pretty solid but I haven’t been there since my grandparents died 20+ years ago so who knows if that still holds true

I’ve never had good tap water anywhere in Florida but it’s not San Diego or New Orleans bad

When I visit people in Atlanta area the tap water seems on the better side of okay but the people I visit are all a good hour Northwest of the city and might be on different water systems or even wells so idk

NY isn’t very good unless they’ve fixed it in the last five or six years

Most places it’s fine though, like I said the colder the better

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It’s nuts how all over the place tap water is but there’s a lot to be said for it just being better in places where it comes out of the tap cold instead of lukewarm.

That's because chilling a drink mellows out any flavors that are there. So if the water has a slightly off taste chilling it will mask that. Good water will taste "fine" at room temp.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

FacelessVoid posted:

plants are already more efficient and sustainable. calories are wasted anytime you move up a trophic level. anything saying otherwise is meat industry BS. if you want the most efficient system then we should all eat algae paste which is x10000 more efficient than even plants.

but this doesn’t even matter because we already grow way more food than we actually need even with 80% of farm land being wasted on animal agriculture. we need to eliminate capitalism not double down on animal torture

as far as taste why not just come clean and admit you’re addicted to high calories foods like meat and cheese? that would at least be understandable and honest—though not excuse to kill and torture animals

Almost the entire world is “addicted,” that is the point, it would be far easier to acknowledge this then force an hardline position that honestly doesn’t response to needs and wants, at least not now.

The problem is indeed distribution to an extent but that is also just a bunch broader issue.

Anyway, I don’t want to hold up the thread.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:44 on May 10, 2023

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

McCracAttack posted:

That's because chilling a drink mellows out any flavors that are there. So if the water has a slightly off taste chilling it will mask that. Good water will taste "fine" at room temp.

my girlfriend says it’s low class to drink cold water for this reason lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Wow nice cold water. Must be filthy and stinky. Too poor to drink room temp water?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
the water in Shreveport, LA tastes like dirt and it’s so bad, you usually have to order a soda at restaurants because coffee and tea brewed there will also taste like dirt. if the town gets any sort of rain, the dirt taste is multiplied. infrastructure in Louisiana is terrible though so I would imagine the person in charge of water is just a buddy of the parish president or something and just drinks bottled water and collects a paycheck for nothing.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Smythe posted:

Well that seems like a bit much.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

in houston during the summer the tap water comes out really hot, which is unpleasant. thankfully the fridge water is nice and cool.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Smythe posted:

shes right

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 94 days!

Smythe posted:

lmfao

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Cold water? Tsk tsk… were you raised on a municipal water system *chortles*

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
nothing better than waking up in the middle of the night thirsty and chugging water from a jug that's been sitting in the fridge

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

They should serve beer at taco bell. If you're going to be a corporate rip off version of the local taqueria at least do it properly :colbert:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Koishi Komeiji posted:

They should serve beer at taco bell. If you're going to be a corporate rip off version of the local taqueria at least do it properly :colbert:

they do at the Cantina locations, along with frozen margs and poo poo

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Any Taco Bell can turn into a margarita bar if you bring in a pint in your back pocket

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Crusty Nutsack posted:

they do at the Cantina locations, along with frozen margs and poo poo

you can also get married at the one in vegas lol

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I thought the point of Taco Bell was that they only severed the Yum! Brands, Inc. family of products.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

McCracAttack posted:

I thought the point of Taco Bell was that they only severed the Yum! Brands, Inc. family of products.

Yum! corp. is like a food amoeba they could easily absorb some beer company and call it Yum! beer.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Honestly if you told me they had acquired someone like Coors in the last 10 years I'd believe you.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Yum! corp. is like a food amoeba they could easily absorb some beer company and call it Yum! beer.

It is kind of funny that Yum China which split off from the core brand, now has 11 times+ as many employees as the original company.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

only disgusting proles drink wwater

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

i live in an apartment

Just grow chickens in your apartment clearly you aren't even trying to be self sufficient...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fluoridated tap water was my dental plan for decades

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

only disgusting proles drink wwater

what do you drink

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

only drink soda, spakrlling waterm, and kombucha

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 94 days!
nothing but coffee and bourbon here. my piss is pitch black

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

only tears of libs for me

:smuggo:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

feminist dying of salt-induced dehydration after only drinking male tears

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

only drink soda, spakrlling waterm, and kombucha

Good luck with your kidney stones

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
I ate free lunch + daily milk at USA public school K-12 because poor. My parents are both 5'7" and I'm 6'4" and I give full credit to whatever hormones are in that slop.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Good luck with your kidney stones

thats not my problem, thats the doctors problem

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

spakrlling waterm

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

thats not my problem, thats the doctors problem

thinking of an aristocrat getting a whipping boy for his dickpain

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Here in NZ some people are making a milk substitute by extracting all the nutrients out of pasture and concentrating them.
Drinking water from a national park at the moment, it's pretty good but my old house had a better spring.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
drinking a bud light tall boy

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Koishi Komeiji posted:

that time tech bros tried to replace eating with soylent

Thinking about when the guy that created soylent got sulfur deficiency from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Ardennes posted:

I am also going to do a hot-take but I think egg/milk/honey consumption is defensibly ethical, and I don't really get the reasoning behind being a "full" vegan. I mean people can do anything they want and that is great, but it seems that the cultures that are vegetarian (like certain groups in India) usually still use milk products (especially cheese) and eggs because they are a very good source of protein and certain key metals/vitamins.

In addition, egg/milk production is more defensible than meat production, especially of beef.

… have you ever seen the conditions in which dairy or eggs are produced?