Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

… have you ever seen the conditions in which dairy or eggs are produced?

But is that an argue against milk/egg consumption or its reform?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

… have you ever seen the conditions in which dairy or eggs are produced?

That could just as well be an argument for humane and ethical treatment of farm animals.

... though I don't know how you meet the current demand with just pasture raised cows and chickens.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

if there were an ethical way to consume milk/eggs/etc. it would still involve a massive voluntary cutback of our current intake of those things

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Plus the farm lobbies and industry groups would fight it tooth and nail. They're the reason the US stuffs corn into every type of food. Hell, I was looking at a bottle of tonic water last night and there's corn in that too.

Edit: lol

wash bucket has issued a correction as of 13:29 on May 11, 2023

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 94 days!
theres CORN in the TONIC WATER

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

everyone is talking about microplastics. when are we going to talk about microcorns?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Obviously there are worse food additives than corn. But if you want to talk about squirrelly things we do to food for the sake of profit then I feel like "corn: it's everything" is a prime example.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

McCracAttack posted:

That could just as well be an argument for humane and ethical treatment of farm animals.

... though I don't know how you meet the current demand with just pasture raised cows and chickens.

Eggs would be an issue but the US actually massively overproduces milk and US government continues to storage in cheese blocs in cave (I am serious). The issue isn't supply as much as price.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Yum! corp. is like a food amoeba they could easily absorb some beer company and call it Yum! beer.

They have TBs with liquor licences, they're called Taco Bell Cantinas and NIMBYs in my region vetoed it bc it was too close to the movie theater.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Smythe posted:

drinking a bud light tall boy

smythe has gone woke

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Tall boys are the regional flavor of this country. Sure, you can find bud light or PBR or icehouse anywhere, of course. But when it comes to the cheap ones? Up here we have Rainer and Hamms but when I go to the southeast they don’t have either, just stuff like Milwaukee’s best and old Milwaukee. And what about that beer from jaws, the New England one that starts with an N that I don’t feel like looking up. Universally I only see that swill on sale at beach towns

In a true workers paradise we’d have consistent national supply of all the different regional lovely tall boys. I can dream

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Tall boys are the regional flavor of this country. Sure, you can find bud light or PBR or icehouse anywhere, of course. But when it comes to the cheap ones? Up here we have Rainer and Hamms but when I go to the southeast they don’t have either, just stuff like Milwaukee’s best and old Milwaukee. And what about that beer from jaws, the New England one that starts with an N that I don’t feel like looking up. Universally I only see that swill on sale at beach towns

In a true workers paradise we’d have consistent national supply of all the different regional lovely tall boys. I can dream

the N one is 'gansett, and it kinda sucks. they made a fantastic oktoberfest though

lone star continues to be the best cheap beer

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

PBR ME ASAP

(you know a beer has reached peak capitalism when you can sing the jingle forever)

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Old German, the world knows no finer

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
Going to name drop Marion Nestle here. She has written a lot of really good books if you’re interested in food politics. She just had a recent article on how tech startups are inserting animal genes into crops but disregarding allergens.

https://www.foodpolitics.com/

quote:

The FDA warns molecular farming companies to watch out for food allergens

I was fascinated to see this article in Ag Funder News (to which I am now subscribing): FDA warns molecular farming startups of risks if food allergens are not properly managed.

If companies are putting the genes for animal proteins into crops, they need to be super careful not to introduce proteins known or likely to be allergenic.

The FDA’s warning letter reminds companies to:

Consider the food safety risks posed by allergens
Plan early in development to manage the risks
Label products properly
Pay attention to legal requirements and food safety responsibilities
This took me right back to 1996 when I wrote an editorial for the New England Journal of Medicine about one such incident (scroll down to the third editorial in the pdf).

Investigators thought it would be clever to add a Brazil nut protein to soybeans to enrich the beans—used for chicken feed—in sulfur-containing amino acids especially needed by chickens for feather formation. Unfortunately, some people are allergic to that protein.

The investigators were especially diligent about checking the allergenicity of the transferred protein. By a truly remarkable coincidence, everything they needed to establish allergenicity was available. The soybeans were withdrawn from the market, but all of this was somewhat of a miracle.

As I concluded,

This situation illustrates the pressing need to expand basic and clinical research on food allergies. More information about incidence, prevalence, dietary exposure, antigenicity, immune responses, diagnosis, and treatment would help researchers, regulators, and biotechnology companies predict whether transgenic proteins are likely to cause harm. In the special case of transgenic soybeans, the donor species was known to be allergenic, serum samples from persons allergic to the donor species were available for testing, and the product was withdrawn. The next case could be less ideal, and the public less fortunate. It is in everyone’s best interest to develop regulatory policies for transgenic foods that include premarketing notification and labeling. Industry benefits when the public is convinced that transgenic foods are safe, and stronger federal regulations would encourage such public confidence.

That was in 1996. I could have written it yesterday. No wonder the FDA is worried.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

if there were an ethical way to consume milk/eggs/etc. it would still involve a massive voluntary cutback of our current intake of those things

grazing livestock serve an important ecological function (a lot of species are reliant on the open landscapes they create) so low-intensity keeping where the local lands provide enough to feed them without needing to import massive amounts of soy beans and such would be ethical from an enviromental perspective

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

everyone is talking about microplastics. when are we going to talk about microcorns?

I never eat the microcorns when I get chinese takeout I hate those things

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

that’s a thing and it’s called woody breasts

last I remember looking no one knew why it happened in some chickens and not others, though it’s certainly caused by disgusting factory farming bullshit

I avoid the problem by buying the fancy chicken brands and paying a lot more, but that’s ok because we eat way less meat than we used to

https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/why-does-woody-breast-still-have-the-industry-stumped

quote:

Studying woody breasts under a microscope, the Aviagen team has found muscle-fibre degeneration and active repair, an increased deposition of connective tissue and fat and an infiltration of immune cells – which are involved in both removing the degraded muscle cells and stimulating muscle repair. These changes indicate reduced oxygen levels in the muscles, which causes them undergo oxidative stress. This in turn results in insufficient levels of antioxidants in the chickens’ breast tissue. Understanding the factors that impact oxygen and antioxidant levels in the muscle has been key to Aviagen’s research, says Santiago Avendano, global director of genetics for the Aviagen Group. Everything from the birds’ environment to vaccinations are being studied as possible causes and contributing factors.

The cardiovascular system of a chicken cannot support the enormous muscle tissue we've selected them to grow.

We have ruined chickens.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Science has ruined breast enlargement

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

croup coughfield posted:

theres CORN in the TONIC WATER

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/why-does-woody-breast-still-have-the-industry-stumped

The cardiovascular system of a chicken cannot support the enormous muscle tissue we've selected them to grow.

We have ruined chickens.

lmao

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

i say swears online posted:

ortolan. i went bald early because of the napkin

god saw what you did and smote you for it

Aug 12, 2023

Aug 12, 2023

quote:

how's the food?

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Marion Nestle is ftw and it's hilarious that she has that name

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Caught up with the thread and Portland does indeed have the best water. I force carbonate a keg so I have sparkling water on tap, so simple and so decadent

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

War and Pieces posted:

Abolish private kitchens and mandate cafeterias in all apartments and work places

this, but also for bathrooms. Just have like six little toilet/shower/sinks/full body dryers per floor or whatever

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Every second a toilet doesn't have poo poo in it is a second wasted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sep 1, 2023
a burger & a beer, steak, animal based food, caeser salad, french fries, etc. basically all 5 things on the menu at contemporary restaurants are extremely old and reflective of a very bygone era