Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Riot Bimbo posted:

i deleted most of the apps on my phone that let me interface with people needlessly and it has been pretty good for my brain OP

im reading way more books and generally using my time better & my brain works better

posting is brain poison

I took FB off of my phone years ago and haven't missed it. Should probably take SA/IG/Discord off as well but those at least can sometimes be useful on the go. I'm glad that I had the good sense to never sign up for Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I don't think social media is inherently unhealthy

The "infinite scroll" that all social media implements has been studied and it's really mentally unhealthy

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Does anybody here try to limit their screen time and has noticed mental health stuff from being on the computer or phone a lot?

I've been trying to limit my time on TikTok, it's really bad/good for wasting time. I definitely feel like poo poo when I spend a couple hours looking at TikTok, not just because I realize the time I've lost but also because the algorithm knows I'm a sad boy so it keeps feeding me sad content and #corecore videos

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Everyone talks up the Tiktok algorithm but it has the same problem as The Algorithm where you watch one squirrel vid and suddenly your feed is full of the fuckers and you just have to suffer through it until Algorithm runs out of squirrel content

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
TikTok's algorithm is a lot more aggressive than other sites. You don't need to like a video, just watch it for too long and it will start feeding you more of that content.

I have an alt account that's just cat videos.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

All the ones I frequented are dead, it's so awful dude. Everything's moved to Discord or Reddit/Twitter

mtgthesource and themanadrain are still chugging for MTG, it owns

just a few old guys rambling abotu the good old days

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Marx Headroom posted:

Everyone talks up the Tiktok algorithm but it has the same problem as The Algorithm where you watch one squirrel vid and suddenly your feed is full of the fuckers and you just have to suffer through it until Algorithm runs out of squirrel content

This seems generally fine for cute animal videos but it can pretty easily be gamed so if you look at anything vaguely political your feed is suddenly full of debate bro clips and guys who give their opinion about whatever's in the news right now and there's no end to any of that poo poo and you basically have to be vigilant about telling the algorithm to stop showing you that bullshit

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

If anybody here has had sex before, I wonder what sort of things you notice about your kids or their friends' social media habits that seems hosed up in particular?

Like we all have seen what social media has done to the brains of our parents since they were mostly just dumped right into it all without any sort of web 1.0 buildup like we experienced where we could see and experience the rise of social media from the ashes of the DotCom bubble, but that can't possibly be as horrifying as, like, being 10 years old and not knowing a world before the most insidious forms of social media

I know some middle school age kids who talk almost entirely in memes. They watched a lot of youtube meme compilations and by their parents own admission they have almost unlimited access to youtube. I don't know if that's the only reason they talk like that, and they might grow out of it, but it is something I noticed.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Greg Legg posted:

I know some middle school age kids who talk almost entirely in memes. They watched a lot of youtube meme compilations and by their parents own admission they have almost unlimited access to youtube. I don't know if that's the only reason they talk like that, and they might grow out of it, but it is something I noticed.

We constantly have to translate what my boss's nephew says to a language my boss can understand.

It's just weird kid things, I think most will (hopefully) grow out of it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

We constantly have to translate what my boss's nephew says to a language my boss can understand.

It's just weird kid things, I think most will (hopefully) grow out of it.

Yeah, as a kid for some reason I would say "Uzab Raeb" a lot, which is "Bazu Bear" backwards. Really got a kick out of it.

That was normal!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Greg Legg posted:

however, that was also my dumb high school pals and my dumb self in 2004-2007 +also many other nerdos so like, maybe that's just kids? I don't know.

schfifty five.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

my spoon is too big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Lampsacus posted:

however, that was also my dumb high school pals and my dumb self in 2004-2007 +also many other nerdos so like, maybe that's just kids? I don't know.

schfifty five.

think I started doing that with flash videos around 2004, before that I just quoted The Simpsons all the time