Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
copying my post from the lunch thread,

the best hibachi i have ever had by far was a little joint in the mall with a huge flat top and an array of ok Chinese glistening chicken dishes i never ordered again. the hibachi chicken and fried rice were made right then and there and absolutely delicious, with fried rice by default and unlimited shrimp sauce. $6 and filled to the point you couldnt close the styrofoam container. was open for maybe 6 months but they overlapped with my working as a shoe salesman in that mall.

what stuff have do you miss eating that no longer exists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

That funky ketchup

And

Double D downs.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

PB Crisps. Lord in the heavens I would do some unsavory poo poo for a pack of PB Crisps again.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Lead flavored asbestos :sigh:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Came here to post these :(

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
the original canadian mcdonalds BBQ sauce.

they changed it to be closer to the US one at one point, kind of more smoky and viscous, it was poo poo (seriously us mcdonalds bbq sauce is so poo poo) so they changed it back but it's not quite the same.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Michelina's used to make off brand hot pockets in a chicken caesar flavor. they were very different, crust wise, more like a big hollow bread stick. this was circa 2003. i can't even find a picture of them on the internet anymore

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Arby's used to have onion petals back when I was in high school, and they were even better than the curly fries. I'm not sure exactly when they disappeared from the menus around here, but I wish they'd come back.

There used to be a sub place near my parent's house that was absolutely delicious and dirt cheap. They ended up making a second location and ended up going bankrupt because of it, then a new owner bought both locations, changed the menus, and the subs are just a shell of their former selves now.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Howard Johnson brand Orange Toastees

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

A Fancy Hat posted:

Arby's used to have onion petals back when I was in high school, and they were even better than the curly fries. I'm not sure exactly when they disappeared from the menus around here, but I wish they'd come back.

these were so loving good. It sucks so hard that no one has this as a standard side. It exists as a frozen wholesale item so little dairy shacks sometimes have them, how come no chain does??? outback being the exception but come on

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
hmm 46 bucks and i can order 10 pounds of them ........

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Speaking of Chinese food, there used to be a Chinese market near my folk’s house that my parents knew the owners for decades. The owners opened a Chinese restaurant next door to the little market in 1984 and operated both. It was my absolute favorite place to eat for many years as a kid and teen because they had a buffet and teenage Elf could easily put away four to five plates of food with his teenage metabolism. So freaking delicious.

The market closed in 1993, but the restaurant stayed a happening place for thirty years until another cheaper Chinese buffet opened up nearby and they couldn’t compete. It was a shame to see the once busting restaurant become a ghost town at dinner, and the two brothers that were running the place near the end sold it to another family who fumbled the ball and permanently closed the place a year later. It’s now a Mexican restaurant and the OG market is an O’Reilly Auto Parts.

If time machines existed, I would definitely steal one just to go back to that restaurant in its heyday and get me some glazed ribs, egg drop soup, potstickers, and green tea ice cream.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
rock hard dick. thanks a lot microplastics

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
technically some of it still exists (he has many restaurants) but my family lived by one of Peter Chang's early restaurants back before he had a wikipedia page and that guys Sichuan food is so insanely good that nothing else compares.

several dishes he had haven't been on the menu when I've gone to his newer restaurants -

crispy honey cucumber chicken
crispy beef
hot and spicy beef roll (cilantro, cabbage, beef, tossed in a chili oil mix, rolled in a tortilla of some kind, sliced and served cold)

those three things are all top 20 best meals of my life easily along with several he still serves that are top 5. :allears:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Cinnamon spread. It was basically a ton of cinnamon flavour in margarine. The kind of thing only the Canadian maritimes could come up with. And then one day it was just gone.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Probably a local thing, but these:

Far and away the best gummy kind of candy I ever had. But then at some point the people making them decided to make all their products vegetarian or vegan, and the new vegetarian version of these just kinda sucked poo poo. A short while later they were discontinued entirely. Apart from that, mark me down as well for "great Chinese place that's not around/close by anymore". They had an amazing Mongolian grill where they'd fry up your meat with a sauce of your choice right there, and it was so good every time.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 10, 2023

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
tasty kake, before hfcs :sigh:

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

You Are A Elf posted:

PB Crisps. Lord in the heavens I would do some unsavory poo poo for a pack of PB Crisps again.

Fuckin 3 posts in

Like, how does Hormel/Planters not get that they can make mad bank off people like me who will buy a whole rear end case off the shelf if they ever come back

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

ElectricSheep posted:

Fuckin 3 posts in

Like, how does Hormel/Planters not get that they can make mad bank off people like me who will buy a whole rear end case off the shelf if they ever come back

I mean, they brought back the Planters Cheez Balls in the OG can with the OG graphics (which rules cuz they rule). Doritos for some reason still has the taco flavored chips in a retro ‘80s bag.

It’s only justifiable that Planters bring back PB Crisps in the OG ‘90s graphics and I would gladly buy a case to inhale.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Came to post this, was beaten, thread ends here.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Mammoth ribs

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

AARD VARKMAN posted:

technically some of it still exists (he has many restaurants) but my family lived by one of Peter Chang's early restaurants back before he had a wikipedia page and that guys Sichuan food is so insanely good that nothing else compares.

several dishes he had haven't been on the menu when I've gone to his newer restaurants -

crispy honey cucumber chicken
crispy beef
hot and spicy beef roll (cilantro, cabbage, beef, tossed in a chili oil mix, rolled in a tortilla of some kind, sliced and served cold)

those three things are all top 20 best meals of my life easily along with several he still serves that are top 5. :allears:

It’s crazy how much better Peter Changs is compared to every other Chinese place I’ve tried in Richmond. I guess nobody else even tries to compete?
Chin’s in Glen Allen is pretty good though for being cheaper and less busy.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I got blessed twice because my tiny hometown randomly has a chef who trained under Peter Chang and serves his greatest hits his way. My town's school has a sister school in China and a huge exchange program which has sustained the restaurant for over a decade now :discourse:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Nooner posted:

Lead flavored asbestos :sigh:

Snack hack: you just need a sledgehammer!

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

why are they Bs

zone
Dec 6, 2016
There was a wonderful mom and pop restaurant near my neighborhood that served some of the most delicious Indian and Chinese-inspired food I'd ever had. For the equivalent of 8-10 dollars you could feed a family of four to bursting there, and there was nothing on the menu that wasn't superb. Some of my favorites were their butter chicken, chicken cutlets the size of my head that came two to an order, the most heavenly ceylon chicken and egg parotta I've had pretty much anywhere, and their lamb biryani was to die for. Sadly the owner retired and closed the place down, but the chef was a firm friend of my dad's and left him his recipes. We can still make them at home, and they're still really delicious, but they lack the same touch the old guy could put into his dishes. I still think of it fondly, given we used to go there twice a week or more.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Those are just Alpha-bits cereal.

However, there's another cereal from that period that I can't find a modern version of. The old Pac-man cereal. I can taste it in my mind but I can't find anything like it. From looking at pictures of it on line, I know it looks like Kix with marshmallows, but I swear to god the cereal bits had a different flavor than Kix.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

The thing I'm most nostalgic for and crave often still exists, i just can't get them where i live. That thing is San Diego-style carne asada burrito.

As for things that don't exist:

Jell-o pudding pops i miss you and i love you

Welch's grape soda, which apparently still exists but is very hard to find

I wanted to say Planters Cheez Balls but they're back?

Michelina's has a line of frozen dinners called Budget Gourmet, but in the long-ago Budget Gourmet belonged to Heinz and they made a frozen meal that was simply called Chicken and Egg Noodles. As a 12-year-old I was crazy for them.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Michelina's used to make off brand hot pockets in a chicken caesar flavor. they were very different, crust wise, more like a big hollow bread stick. this was circa 2003. i can't even find a picture of them on the internet anymore

I remember something similar to this from the mid 90's. The label said "Pierog80'si" on it and it was similar to a hot pocket but 100x better. Soft, pillowy, more flavorful than a Hot Pocket stuffed in 2003-era Beyonce's rear end.

I don't know if there are more than one type of pierogi or if that was a brand name but i was extremely confused the first time i ever had real pierogis. I was expecting some sort of big, soft, baked, and savory turnover and what i got was some little dumplings.

Certs has passed away? That sucks, I really liked the wintergreen ones.

E: Clam dip

2ndworthlessacct1
May 10, 2023

by vyelkin
buffalo wings

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

So good!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REpiQnnp6p8

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Josta cola

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Miami Grill is a franchise restaurant that's just in Florida (and outside of Charlotte NC for some reason, too) these days. But when I was a kid, there was Miami Grill (called Miami Subs back then) about 15 minutes from my house.

I loved this place; the decor was this crazy neon beach thing and I remember the food being insanely good. I'm sure a lot of it is nostalgia but I miss the place a lot; I remember getting chicken strips and curly fries which were better than any I'd ever had before, and pink lemonade that had a distinct flavor I've never been able to find anywhere else.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I love that

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL

Jose Oquendo posted:

Those are just Alpha-bits cereal.

No way, Alpha Bits has that weird frosting on them. C3-PO's didn't have that and had honey.

stephen_falken
Mar 28, 2023

by the sex ghost
They closed all California locations a couple years ago, and now they're strictly red-state except for one in New York I think. Here's 1800 calories of Man I Want Another One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
It's easy enough make, but Purplesarus Rex Kool-Aid.

Wendy's all you can eat salad bar.

The original Hostess fruit pies.