Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

When I was a kid, up until I think 2014 or so, there was a great local Chinese place in South Miami that had the absolute best egg drop soup. I ate that most of my life until one day the restaurant shut down without any real warning. The owner sold the property he had right in the middle of the main part of South Miami for what I'm sure was many millions of dollars and that was it. I would do the absolute worst things for that soup recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Hollismason posted:

Chicken Cordon Bleu from Arby's circa 1994.
Ah poo poo, Hardee's Frisco Chicken :gonk: I thought I was finally free from the traumatic loss of my favorite fast-food sandwich but now it has all come rushing back

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Arivia posted:

Cinnamon spread. It was basically a ton of cinnamon flavour in margarine. The kind of thing only the Canadian maritimes could come up with. And then one day it was just gone.

Give this a shot if you ever come across it.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
Those deep-fried apple pies from McDonald's. I mourn the grilled stuft steak burrito as well.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

PureEvil6_13 posted:

Crispy Wheats and Raisins
Buckwheats
Apple Raisin Crisp

I love cereal

Buc-Wheats were my favorite. Always reminds me of my grandmother’s kitchen. Watching my grandfather eat his stewed prunes, and wondering why he didn’t prefer a full of wheat flakes with maple glaze.

pacerwpg
Apr 18, 2023

Dr. Quarex posted:

Ah poo poo, Hardee's Frisco Chicken :gonk: I thought I was finally free from the traumatic loss of my favorite fast-food sandwich but now it has all come rushing back

Hardee's Peach Cobbler was great.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
It's absolute bullshit that Arby's got rid of its best products.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Arby's was absolutely king of the fast food world in the 90's. I don't think any other has fallen from grace as far as they have.

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

Marathon bars. And my granny's bologna sandwiches.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
To those saying Surge, they literally brought it back again not that long ago and it was available again for like five years. It was "small batch" and according to my contact at a coke distributor they retired it again 😞

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Pussy

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Szyznyk posted:

All flavors of Toasties. Publix had some overpriced muffin top things that were a poor approximation of blueberry Toasties that bummed me out.

Blueberry was indeed legit, especially just a little extra toasted to crisp up the edges.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Rainforest Crunch

Yesterdays Latte
Nov 14, 2021

This stuff was basically an apple pie in a bottle and it was fantastic. You can occasionally find it in places with old stock, but it's no longer on their site and doesn't seem to be made anymore. They made a similar soda as a limited-edition fall thing, but it only saw a release through a handful of stores, none of which I live near. Luckily I got a couple ($5 a piece!) bottles of the new stuff through a friend, but promptly discovered that they put pumpkin in it for some asinine reason :mad:

Also I really liked the Taco Bell Dorito-shell tacos that were Cool Ranch flavored. The Nacho Cheese flavored ones aren't bad, but the Cool Ranch just worked.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Local, but the old burgers from Blake's Lotaburger before the owner died and his kid took over and totally ruined the quality and the size of the patty :(

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sSp92lYEJM

There are only 1 or 2 Quincy's locations left. Probably the nostalgia talking, but I remember it being a very fine yeast roll.

Wavy Lays au gratin chips are up there with the Pizzarias for me.

Trix before it went to the fruit shapes tasted better. More sugary.

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
Silphium

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
Ben and Jerry's Willie Nelson's peach cobbler ice cream

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
In addition to most of the stuff in here, I liked the graham chex cereal and team cheerios. I don't really eat sugar cereal (or any for that matter) much anymore but I'd buy these in a heartbeat.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

el monterey bean three cheese and jalapeno burritos

another victim of the covid pandemic

I could have sworn I saw these at the supermarket last night, but now that I think of it, they may have been the chimichanga version in the orange package.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
Back in the mid-80s they had these extra-thick chips called O'Grady's or something that they advertised as being kind of high class and I loved them even though they tore up the roof of my mouth.

Circa 2003 there was an Italian deli near my house that just made the best sandwiches I ever had. Not fancy and yuppiefied, but with really good meats, bread, and fixins. They shut down because they couple that owned it got divorced and I haven't had a ham and cheese hoagie since.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Hulk hogan shoe jerky

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Dr. Quarex posted:

My standard answer is PB Max, literally the best candy bar I ever had and so of course it was a victim of the Mars family head's infamous "peanut butter is gross lol I am a whiny baby who runs a candy company [which sounds like a good thing]." It is the only thing I think about that I used to eat all the time that I actually would return rather than just looking back on the food nostalgically.

Hell yes these. I miss PB Max so much - it had a thick blob of actual creamy peanut butter in the middle, not the usual crumbly-sweet peanut butter candy filling, and that was just so good with the little shortbread dots and everything. I kept buying those even after they went deep into deadstock and the chocolate coating was all bloomed and sad, and now they are gone.

Zero bars still exist, at least, but they got handed over to Hershey in the mid-90s and that doesn't bode well for the nostalgia taste. If I ever see one again (doubtful) I'll probably try it and regret it.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

I probably ate around 30 of these while they were available.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
A martini “just like James Bond”

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

MrQwerty posted:

Local, but the old burgers from Blake's Lotaburger before the owner died and his kid took over and totally ruined the quality and the size of the patty :(

When was this? Because we had Blake’s expand to Arizona several years ago and several people have told me “it sure was a burger :geno:” meaning nothing special that sets it apart from other fast food burgs.

Sounds average, at best (I haven’t tried them yet), but New Mexico transplants have told me they used to be god-tier burgs back home.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

You Are A Elf posted:

When was this? Because we had Blake’s expand to Arizona several years ago and several people have told me “it sure was a burger :geno:” meaning nothing special that sets it apart from other fast food burgs.

Sounds average, at best (I haven’t tried them yet), but New Mexico transplants have told me they used to be god-tier burgs back home.

They expanded out of NM post-founder-death

poo poo back in the day Jim Varney did Ernest ads for them

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Bring back the volcano and doritos tacos. I crave terrible food

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I can technically have it still if I customise a Quarter Pounder, but we had the McFeast from McDonald's. It was a quarter pounder but with lettuce and tomato and stuff. Just having some vegetables of any variety really cuts the feeling of eating bread, cheese and grease meat. It was a menu item but disappeared.

The dumbest part was it was often like 30c cheaper than just a quarter pounder lol

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

MrQwerty posted:

They expanded out of NM post-founder-death

poo poo back in the day Jim Varney did Ernest ads for them

Sounds about right. Founders die or sell their beloved restaurant, new people expand and cut costs for max profit while quality suffers. Sucks, man. I’m sure they really were god-tier burgs back in NM pre-expansion.

I remember eating at another NM chain in Las Cruces a long time ago: Burger Time. Looks like they went out of business, though :(

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

pacerwpg posted:

Hardee's Peach Cobbler was great.

Holy poo poo yes. Pretty sure that stuff took a few years off my life.

Nestle's Alpine Bar, white chocolate full of all kinds of chopped nuts, not too sweet and so good with that nut mix.

Hostess brand corn flakes were the best drat corn flakes I've ever had, and I only ever found them at the local Hostess store. A few years ago the store closed and they loving vanished. :argh:

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
Growing up in the Wichita area there were these little green bottles of fantastic stuff called Sour Schnapps. It didn't have any booze in it though, it was supposed to be used as a mixer but it tasted like a better Squirt. Pretty sure it was just a small Wichita thing because the internet doesn't even bring up much about it.

Mixes well. Tastes Swell

The bottles I remember were shorter though, like a Mickey's bottle.

PureEvil6_13 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 11, 2023

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Picayune posted:

Hell yes these. I miss PB Max so much - it had a thick blob of actual creamy peanut butter in the middle, not the usual crumbly-sweet peanut butter candy filling, and that was just so good with the little shortbread dots and everything. I kept buying those even after they went deep into deadstock and the chocolate coating was all bloomed and sad, and now they are gone.

Zero bars still exist, at least, but they got handed over to Hershey in the mid-90s and that doesn't bode well for the nostalgia taste. If I ever see one again (doubtful) I'll probably try it and regret it.
Somewhere out there someone has a PB Max at the back of their freezer and I am gonna eat it

Also I definitely had a Zero bar "recently" (like 2015 probably) and it was good but I also never had one until after Hershey bought them so who knows

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Dick Jones posted:

I could have sworn I saw these at the supermarket last night, but now that I think of it, they may have been the chimichanga version in the orange package.

They’ve been gone from all the stores around me since about mid 2021. They were my staple freezer food. They don’t even show up on their website anymore :(

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Dr. Quarex posted:

Somewhere out there someone has a PB Max at the back of their freezer and I am gonna eat it

Also I definitely had a Zero bar "recently" (like 2015 probably) and it was good but I also never had one until after Hershey bought them so who knows

Zero bars seem to fall into that category of "retro" or "specialty" food items you only find in touristy gift shops. Same places youll find Beech Nut gum, Necco wafers, sorghum hard candies and poo poo like that. Along with the other misfit candy bars like Zagnut, Charleston Chew, Clark bar, etc

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I can’t believe I forgot they discontinued Choco Tacos :negative:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Anne Whateley posted:

I can’t believe I forgot they discontinued Choco Tacos :negative:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Surprised nobody mentioned McDonald's Pizza yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Captain Yossarian posted:

To those saying Surge, they literally brought it back again not that long ago and it was available again for like five years. It was "small batch" and according to my contact at a coke distributor they retired it again 😞

It’s still available in a place nobody has visited in years. Burger King.