Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

New thread as old thread is archived

https://twitter.com/qotsa/status/1656640814943207427?s=20

quote:

Largely recorded and mixed at Joshua Homme’s Pink Duck Studios, In Times New Roman… was produced by the band and mixed by Mark Rankin. Boneface, a frequent collaborator of the band, designed the artwork and double album gatefold for the vinyl release.

In Times New Roman…:

01 Obscenery
02 Paper Machete
03 Negative Space
04 Time & Place
05 Made to Parade
06 Carnavoyeur
07 What the Peephole Say
08 Sicily
09 Emotion Sickness
10 Straight Jacket Fitting

Edit: Apologies forgot to put a “the” in the title

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

New single is good. Curious about when this got recorded, as I recall Pink Duck was sold a year or two back so it sounds like this one may have been done for a while.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
New single slaps. Exactly what I want out of QOTSA

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Honestly thought the single was pretty nondescript. I didn’t really love their last album tbh so my expectations are not super high. I’m glad his divorce and kid thing seems to be cleared up, tho

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
Diggin the new tune.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
that's a good name for an album

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
In Times New Roman…Like Clockwork

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Video for the single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkChW6WP0hU

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

In Times New Roman…Like Clockwork

I think Homme has said he views the previous two albums and this new one as a loose trilogy, so it'd be ...Like Clockwork Villains In Times New Roman...

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I haven’t listened to the single as Queens is a band I would buy blind. However, is Josh still a piece of poo poo? Last I heard, he and his wife were in some kind of Johnny Depp divorce situation.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Edit: Snipping this because below post covers it better but sheesh.

New single's alright if not weirdly pathetic hearing him croon about how he had to let her go. Like Clockwork was amazing but Villains didn't really do much for me and this seems like a middle ground between the two? Sounds promising and I think Villains was just a rare misstep.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 13, 2023

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

IUG posted:

I haven’t listened to the single as Queens is a band I would buy blind. However, is Josh still a piece of poo poo? Last I heard, he and his wife were in some kind of Johnny Depp divorce situation.

Here's the last I've heard on the subject:

https://pitchfork.com/news/joshua-homme-gets-new-restraining-order-against-brody-dalle-alleges-she-put-their-children-in-great-danger/

quote:

Joshua Homme’s publicity team has issued a statement on the Queens of the Stone Age frontman’s behalf concerning his long-running custody dispute with his ex-wife, the Distillers’ Brody Dalle. The statement follows the Los Angeles Family Court’s decision earlier this month to grant the Homme family, including the couple’s three children and Homme’s parents, a restraining order against Dalle for one year and 11 months, court records viewed by Pitchfork confirm.

The statement alleges that Dalle and her boyfriend, Gunner Foxx, “have not only caused the children emotional harm, but have also put them in great danger.” Pitchfork has reached out to Dalle’s representatives, as well as an attorney for Foxx, for comment. Read the full statement below.

In the past, Homme and Dalle’s custody dispute has resulted in restraining orders for both parties against each other. In September 2021, domestic violence restraining orders were filed against Homme on behalf of his two sons, alleging physically and verbally abusive behavior and drinking while driving. According to the statement today, Dalle testified that Foxx had forged her signatures on those filings, albeit with her knowledge.

In November 2021, Dalle was found guilty of misdemeanor contempt for withholding their youngest child from Homme’s court-mandated custodial time. (The two older children were judged to have chosen not to visit Homme of their own accord.) Dalle was sentenced to community service and handed a $1,000 fine. In March 2022, a court granted Homme sole legal custody of the couple’s three children until this fall. Five months later, Homme and his two sons, who are the younger of the three children, were granted a restraining order against Foxx, according to today’s statement.

quote:

Statement on behalf of Josh Homme:

Out of respect and concern for his minor children and their well-being, Joshua Homme has previously refrained from making public statements about his family to the media. In light of the continued falsehoods, the repeated invasions of the children’s privacy and the resulting emotional harm, it is time that the truth be told. Our hope is that this will end the enquiries and speculation and provide the family the privacy and consideration they deserve.

For more than a year after the conclusion of their divorce proceedings, Joshua Homme and Brody Dalle were able to amicably co-parent their three children in a healthy and functional way. The situation took a dark turn when Dalle violated the 50/50 custody agreement by withholding the children from seeing their father. Despite multiple orders by the Los Angeles Family Court to return the children, as well as being found in contempt of court, Dalle continued to violate the custody agreement. The situation was exacerbated by the inappropriate actions of her boyfriend Gunner Foxx.

In March 2022, the Los Angeles Family Court awarded Joshua Homme sole legal custody of all three children, and they are currently under the care of their father and paternal grandparents. Dalle was granted supervised visitation with their youngest child in the interim. Joshua Homme will remain the sole legal guardian of all minor children until a custody hearing in the fall of 2023, at which point a more permanent solution will be determined by the Los Angeles Family Court.

Recent actions by Brody Dalle and Gunner Foxx have not only caused the children emotional harm, but have also put them in great danger. As a result of these actions, on March 16, 2023 The Los Angeles Family Court ordered a permanent restraining order against Brody Dalle for a period of 1 year and 11 months. This Domestic Violence Restraining order was granted to protect (and on behalf of) the Homme family, including Joshua, his three children, and Joshua’s parents, Michael and Irene Homme.

It was reported in the fall of 2021 that Homme’s sons had filed a restraining order against their father and that it was signed by their mother. It has since been revealed in court proceedings that this restraining order was drafted and filed by Gunner Foxx, who forged Dalle’s signature on the document. Dalle later testified in court to having known at the time that Foxx had forged her signature, while doing nothing to set the record straight legally or in the media.

In August of 2022, Joshua Homme and his two sons were granted a restraining order protecting them from Gunner Foxx, preventing him from making any contact with them whatsoever for a period of five years. Foxx’s requests for a restraining order against Homme were denied by two separate courts.

It was reported that Homme’s daughter filed a restraining order against him. This was also filed by Gunner Foxx who took the minor child to court without the presence of either one of her parents. Prior to the hearing on this matter — at the child’s request and through her own counsel — the order was rescinded.

All allegations made against Joshua Homme by Brody Dalle and Gunner Foxx or on behalf of the Homme children have been repeatedly investigated by local law enforcement, Los Angeles DCFS and the Los Angeles County Courts. Additionally, the children are represented and their best interests are ensured by their own court-appointed legal counsel, DCFS and the Los Angeles Court system. It was subsequent to these investigations, as well as 24-hour, court-appointed monitoring (at both parents’ homes over many months) that the Los Angeles Family Court determined it is in the best interest of the children to remain in the care of their father.

The Homme family is grateful to the Los Angeles County Courts, minor’s counsel, local law enforcement, DCFS and court-ordered monitors for their time and continued attention and care. The goal of the Los Angeles Family Court System and Joshua Homme’s sincere hope is that the conclusion of this matter will result in the ability for both Homme and Dalle to co-parent their children peacefully.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Oh so this is where the discussion went.

I love the new song, it's got almost everything I want out of them right up front. Killer bass tone, unhinged riffs, weirdly catchy chorus. I'm only cautious because I liked the singles from Villains wayyyyyy more than the rest of the album. As long as they didn't concentrate all the cool stuff into one song and slack off everywhere else, this sounds really promising.

Re: the personal drama, currently it seems ambiguous enough that I'm content to ignore it, as long as the music affords me that ignorance. It sounds like two messed up people messing up together. Not trying to downplay the ramifications of it, but I guess my reasons for withholding support for an artist would typically be a clear pattern of unrepentant criminal behavior or the promotion of hateful ideas. Not just kind of failing at life.

(I do hope the dude swallows his pride and gets rehab/therapy, he clearly needs it. Honestly I'm more worried about seeing a headline of him dying at this point.)

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 14, 2023

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

The family court system is an incredible piece of poo poo and honestly, I'd take anything either side says with a huge grain of salt. They've got lawyers who's best personal interest is to prolong this as long as possible so they can keep collecting fees.

As far as the single goes, I like it a lot. I preordered the translucent blue vinyl. I'd fly just about anywhere in the states to see them ASAP but funny enough, the weekends fall on my time with my kids so I can't make either shows. I rather not see them at a festival and also, there's no mid-tier venue in Miami open right now for these guys. My best friends (all goons), haven't missed a tour show since the Era Vulgaris tour. I'm guessing Orlando or Tampa is where we'll have to catch them if we want local.

Ideally? I'd go to Denver for a show at the Red Rocks if it was announced. gently caress I love that venue.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Pre-ordered the CD as soon as I saw the announcement and heard the new track. The riffs make me miss driving, as I used to play this band while trying to avoid speeding tickets. Miss that car.

The video for this is awesome, too. :)

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I didn’t like the sound mix of Villains much at all.. felt kind of sparse and tinny.. thou I enjoyed the riffs and such themselves. Hoping this one is mixed with a little more oompf.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

DuhSal posted:

I didn’t like the sound mix of Villains much at all.. felt kind of sparse and tinny.. thou I enjoyed the riffs and such themselves. Hoping this one is mixed with a little more oompf.

Yeah I also didn't like this album. I did like this new single though so hoping for the best.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Villains ruled, I loved the songs and the production and the "dark side of David Bowie" vibes he was seemingly going for on at least some of the songs (Heroes, Villains, get it?)

My favourite album by them is still Lullabies to Paralyse though. That album is a complete sonic journey, it's the darkest hosed up fairytale. I don't know how to put it, they just seized a concept and a vibe and produced a completely perfect opus around it

I love everything else from Songs for the Deaf onwards too. Never really got into their earliest stuff, I like the way Josh took the band with SFTD and built on that sound. Over the last two decades it feels like he's been making music specifically for my tastes and I haven't disliked a thing ❤️

New song good

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
If Josh Homme really wanted to reform his image, he'd make up with Kyuss. :colbert:

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Real long interview with Homme found here:

https://reddit.com/r/qotsa/comments/13nw9s4/interview_wjosh_visions_magazine/

And apparently a new single coming out the 31st? That’s the rumor anyway.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

diggin' the new single

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer

IG-88 posted:

Real long interview with Homme found here:

https://reddit.com/r/qotsa/comments/13nw9s4/interview_wjosh_visions_magazine/

And apparently a new single coming out the 31st? That’s the rumor anyway.

Thanks for sharing this interview! Been wondering what the heck's going on with that guy.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Gmail likes to send me Reddit summaries of stuff I've looked up before I guess, so I'm seeing a thread there where apparently some record store got a bunch of early copies by mistake, and this person has the album and is listening to it right now.

So, expect it to leak pretty drat soon, I'm guessing.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Saw them live at Boston Calling yesterday, they played two songs off In Times New Roman (“Emotion Sickness” and “Negative Space”.) Doubly jazzed for this new album now.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9AstTu09-k

(this is official audio for carnavoyuer, not sure why it isn't auto-parsing)

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Anyone that puts LC over Lullabies is wrong lol

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I love the back half of Lullabies but I don't know if the front half is strong enough for me to say it's top 3

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I do like Carnavoyeur, but it seems like an odd choice to put out 2 songs with fairly similar rhythms/tempos as the lead singles.

IG-88 posted:

Anyone that puts LC over Lullabies is wrong lol

Same except SFTD.

I would probably rank Lullabies 2nd-to-last TBH, just above Villains. Not that any QOTSA is exactly bad. But Like Clockwork always seemed like the fully-formed version of Lullabies to me. The more theatrical spooky vibe just came off a little forced to me. (This is mostly in hindsight -- I was raving over it when it first came out, but its appeal faded pretty quickly.)

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

Like Clockwork always seemed like the fully-formed version of Lullabies to me.

Hot take here but to me Like Clockwork sounded more like a lesser-formed version of Era Vulgaris imo, like taking some scraps and building a record around them. I think Era Vulgaris and Lullabies are both very underrated however and just my opinion but LC kinda continued the Era vibe with great tracks such as Smooth Sailing, I Appear Missing & Keep Your Eyes Peeled but aside from them the only other standout track to me is Vampyre (which is great) with the rest of the album just being kinda so-so.

I think the run from Rated R to Era Vulgaris is incredible, though. I also think Lullabies is kinda tainted since it was following up SFTD which is a classic and also Nick's departure is noticeable. I think the record makes up for it in other ways and is very solid however, just looked upon harshly as a follow-up to a classic and lacking Nick's screamers despite still having plenty of bangers. Little Sister being chosen as the main single wasn't a very good idea either imo.

Keeping an open mind for In Times New Roman but I'd much rather have another Them Crooked Vultures album at this point because holy poo poo was that incredible.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

https://reddit.com/r/qotsa/comments/13wlxy4/listening_parties_all_over_the_world/

Anyone wanna link up at We Got the Beats in Fort Lauderdale?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

SUNKOS posted:

Hot take here but to me Like Clockwork sounded more like a lesser-formed version of Era Vulgaris imo, like taking some scraps and building a record around them. I think Era Vulgaris and Lullabies are both very underrated however and just my opinion but LC kinda continued the Era vibe with great tracks such as Smooth Sailing, I Appear Missing & Keep Your Eyes Peeled but aside from them the only other standout track to me is Vampyre (which is great) with the rest of the album just being kinda so-so.

I think the run from Rated R to Era Vulgaris is incredible, though. I also think Lullabies is kinda tainted since it was following up SFTD which is a classic and also Nick's departure is noticeable. I think the record makes up for it in other ways and is very solid however, just looked upon harshly as a follow-up to a classic and lacking Nick's screamers despite still having plenty of bangers. Little Sister being chosen as the main single wasn't a very good idea either imo.

All fair points, I have a personal preference for clean mixes so I think that always hindered Era Vulgaris for me, even though I like it a lot. Probably sitting just a little below LC for me. I wish "The Fun Machine Took A poo poo & Died" had made the album, that may have put it over the top for me. I've never really cared for "Misfit Love" even though I know some people love it; I prefer "Smooth Sailing" when I'm looking for that sort of sleazy vibe. And "Make It Wit Chu" didn't necessarily improve on the Desert Sessions version. Similarly I preferred the "5:15ers" version of "Into The Hollow". These are honestly a lot of unfair things, really -- it's never fun when you get "demo-itis" falling in love with a draft of the song and then not liking the final version. Probably better to just not know. (For some reason I also couldn't shake the thought of "what if Mark Lanegan sang on Into The Hollow" even though I don't know where that idea came from.)

It was also definitely super unfair having Lullabies follow SFTD, there was almost no way to recapture that magic especially with all the shake-ups. And "Little Sister" was definitely a dud single.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It's funny you mention that because I think a good chunk of SFTD are old Desert Sessions songs :v:

Regarding both that and Lullabies however, this is just my own personal view based off comments made by Josh about SFTD but I view both albums as complimentary and kind of one. It stems from when Josh was talking about SFTD kinda being a concept album, wherein it just had a loose theme of being a desert drive (which prompted them to add the radio stuff in) and I think he mentioned somewhere that in his mind it's sort-of a soundtrack to a David Lynch movie that doesn't exist?

I'm a huge Lost Highway fan and this combined with how Josh describes SFTD? I essentially view SFTD as the daytime screaming through the desert side and Lullabies as the night portion that follows on from that. It's just my own silly interpretation of the two records but it works for me and is fun given the tone of both albums (the crazed aggression seguing into dark manic sultry vibes) and Mosquito Song closing SFTD with This Lullaby opening LTP before Medication kicks in like the car is fired up again and now they're off into the night. I find it a fun way to view the albums, and even Nick's departure giving way to Billy Gibbons :haw:

Odd way to view the albums I guess but it works really well for me thematically and audibly (again with the caveat that Little Sister is a dud) to put them together as a double album of day and night.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I will always have a soft spot for Lullabies even though it’s not in my top three because it came out around the time I started dating my now-husband in college. Our first conversation ever was about QOTSA and how much we both loved the band. Lullabies brings back memories of riding around in his car at night with the windows down (because he had no AC) and blasting QOTSA because we were poor and had no money to go on actual dates. 17 years later and we are in a vastly different point in our lives and can easily afford to drop some money on a trip to go see them live (as we did last weekend) but I still look back on those early days fondly. :3:

I do think a lot of the Desert Sessions transplant tracks benefit from the extra polish. Like “In My Head” absolutely needed a real bridge so the Lullabies version is a huge improvement imo.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

pastor of muppets posted:

I do think a lot of the Desert Sessions transplant tracks benefit from the extra polish. Like “In My Head” absolutely needed a real bridge so the Lullabies version is a huge improvement imo.

I think I prefer the sound and overall vibe of the DS version, but it does repeat the chorus way too many times toward the end.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

I couldn't fathom not having Rated R in my own top 3.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

US tour dates are up:
https://qotsa.com/tour/

The pre-sale begins TODAY at 10am local time.
Use code: NERO

All tickets on sale Friday, June 9th at 10am local.
with support from
* Phantogram & The Armed
^ Viagra Boys & Jehnny Beth

8/3 Sterling Heights, MI *
Michigan Lottery Amphitheatre at Freedom Hill

8/4 Toronto, ON *
Budweiser Stage

8/5 Pittsburgh, PA *
Stage AE Outdoors

8/7 Bridgeport, CT *
Hartford HealthCare Amphitheater

8/8 Philadelphia, PA *
TD Pavilion at the Mann

8/9 Washington, DC *
The Anthem

8/11 Portland, ME *
Cross Insurance Arena

8/12 Queens, NY *
Forest Hills Stadium

8/15 Raleigh, NC *
Red Hat Amphitheater

8/16 Asheville, NC *
Rabbit Rabbit

8/18 Atlanta, GA *
Fox Theatre

8/19 Nashville, TN *
Ascend Amphitheater

9/17 Minneapolis, MN ^
The Armory

9/19 Omaha, NE ^
Steelhouse

9/20 Kansas City, MO ^
Starlight Theatre

9/22 Indianapolis, IN ^
TCU Amphitheater at White River State Park

9/23 St. Louis, MO ^
Saint Louis Music Park

9/26 Rogers, AR ^
Walmart AMP

9/27 Oklahoma City, OK ^
The Criterion

9/29 Denver, CO ^
Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre

9/30 Salt Lake City, UT ^
The Great Saltair

10/2 Portland, OR ^
Veterans Memorial Coliseum

10/3 Vancouver, BC ^
Pacific Coliseum

10/4 Seattle, WA ^
Climate Pledge Arena

10/6 San Francisco, CA ^
Bill Graham Civic Auditorium

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Extending our trip to see Beyoncé in DC so I can catch QOTSA there a few days later since the closest to Miami they’re coming is Atlanta :(

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

AFewBricksShy posted:

US tour dates are up:
https://qotsa.com/tour/

8/3 Sterling Heights, MI *
Michigan Lottery Amphitheatre at Freedom Hill

Guess I'm going. Gonna order tickets right now. I'm shocked, most bands I like seem to skip Michigan/Detroit dates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
New Revolver interview talks about the new album and the various stuff going on in Josh's life, including a previously unrevealed bout of cancer. Apparently it was able to be surgically removed, but he doesn't want to get into details.