Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm going to preach the virtues of sous vide. My girlfriend got me a really nice one about a year ago. It was a good investment on her part because I've been making perfectly tender and juicy steaks, chicken breasts, and pork chops for a year now. Because you're holding constant temperature for so long you can cook the meat much rarer than could could ever be safe on a grill.

Kenji wrote a bunch of sous vide articles for serious eats breaking down different meat types and cuts complete with time and temperature charts.

The one thing souse vide can't do is caramelize or sear. So when I pull it out I'll heat a cast iron skillet till just barely smoking, throw some ghee in it, and then sear about 30 seconds per side for a perfect crust.
I loved sous vide because the recipes were basically goon-proof when I was just getting into cooking.

I do more frying than is healthy now, and almost certainly use too much salt and oil, but it's hard to stop when it enables my barely competent efforts to taste delicious.

I'm bookmarking this thread and editing my post later with a recipe I compulsively share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU