Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm going to preach the virtues of sous vide. My girlfriend got me a really nice one about a year ago. It was a good investment on her part because I've been making perfectly tender and juicy steaks, chicken breasts, and pork chops for a year now. Because you're holding constant temperature for so long you can cook the meat much rarer than could could ever be safe on a grill.

Kenji wrote a bunch of sous vide articles for serious eats breaking down different meat types and cuts complete with time and temperature charts.

The one thing souse vide can't do is caramelize or sear. So when I pull it out I'll heat a cast iron skillet till just barely smoking, throw some ghee in it, and then sear about 30 seconds per side for a perfect crust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Remember when being lazy was boiling ribs and then tossing them on the grill? Well now you can actually do it properly and still be lazy.

I don't call it being lazy. I call it min maxing my ADHD.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

My current goto dry rubs are the Trader Joes coffee-garlic and their Georgian Ajika.

Also keep some dry vermouth in the fridge if you're searing it in the pan. Splash of vermouth, pat of butter, and whatever fresh herbs you have make for an instant delicious sauce.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

In theory any alcohol would work. The key is some combination of fat plus solvent plus aromatics.

Crushed garlic is also an excellent aromatic in all contexts but especially this.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

You're going to want much higher heat and shorter time. Make sure you bring the pan up to temperature over medium high to high heat before putting the steak on. If you flick a small bit of water on the pan it should have tiny bubbles jumping around.

After you do the water test, throw in a high smoke point fat and let it heat up. Use canola or peanut oil as a neutral oil. I personally prefer to use ghee. Then throw the steak in. Depending on thickness you only need few minutes per side.

When you check the temperature of the steak to pull it off the pan, aim for about 10f degrees below medium rare. When you hit this target temp, put the steak on a cutting board, cover it snugly with aluminum foil, and let it rest for about ten minutes. The residual heat will continue cooking it while it rests and you shouldn't be cutting it until it's done resting anyway. Otherwise you'll release too much of the juice and dry it out.

When you pull it off the pan, drop the heat to medium throw a pat of butter or some duck fat or bacon grease in along with aromatics like diced shallots and crushed garlic. Let it saute for a min or so. Then drop to low, throw in a splash of red wine, vermouth, bourbon, or a vinegar and something herbal like a sprig thyme or rosemary. Stir as needed until it reduces down into a delicious sauce. Be sure to scrape off all the seared bits left in the pan from the steak and let them dissolve into the sauce. This step isn't required but you've got ten minutes waiting for the steak to rest so may as well get all the deliciousness out of the fond.

After the steak rests, carve it into thin strips by cutting against the grain. This will especially help with cheaper, tougher, stringier cuts. It will also help with the toughness if you overshoot your rareness. Plate it up and spoon some of the sauce over it.

Part of the process is going to be experimentation. Hitting the sweet spot is going to depend a lot on the specifics of your stove and your pan. Grab some cheap cuts and play around until you get dialed in.

That said trying to do the entire thing in a cast iron in the stove top is probably the hardest method to hit a specific temperature. Using a reverse sear technique by hearing the steak and pan in the oven on a lower temp and then following with a high heat sear will be more reliable. And if you want high precision temperature control and super easy cooking I cannot preach the virtues of sous vide enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Yeah all the fats are substitutable with other fats as long as the smoke point is high enough that it won't burn. Use canola or peanut oil when searing the steak but you can get away with something lower temp and more flavorful when you're just sauteing the aromatics. Might not even have to add more if enough oil is still left in the pan from the steak.