Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
gaming has lots of well known terminology. not everyone uses it though. either because of not knowing the actual parlance, or learning it way later on and being too stuck in their ways, or maybe just to troll.

anyway let's hear the weird poo poo you say or have heard other people say. i'll start with a few.

cheats - an actual gamer word but my partner uses it in mario kart when she means 'shortcut'. "think i spotted a cheat over there", "i don't know where the cheats are on these new levels", etc. we remain strong.

dashboard - also another gaming word but a kid i knew kept using it to refer to the DS touchscreen. when the DS came out i used to take it into school and this one guy always wanted to "have a go on the dashboard". maybe he was an xbox kid. he didn't actually want to play anything. you could unlock a pudding in warioware that you could jiggle with the stylus and that was all he wanted to do.

Natalie - one time while playing mario party i told the gf that Toad was called Natalie in Japan. she believed me without even questioning it. i've since informed her i just made it up but the damage is done. in this house he's always natalie.

looking forward to all your dumb words :)

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

dashboard - also another gaming word but a kid i knew kept using it to refer to the DS touchscreen. when the DS came out i used to take it into school and this one guy always wanted to "have a go on the dashboard". maybe he was an xbox kid. he didn't actually want to play anything. you could unlock a pudding in warioware that you could jiggle with the stylus and that was all he wanted to do.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Men: not the rarest word for extra lives, but sticks with me because of the arcade birthday party where one kid would get down to a couple hundred lives in Turtles and start hammering the coin button while screaming "I need some more men!!"

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Lmao

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

don't doxx me

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
wibble wobbly: once in secondary school me mate handed me the safari nose pic- er, the Atari joystick. He said "oi, be bloody delicate with it, or it'll be a proper wibble wobbly" blimey, that's a ruddy good word, I thought, and it's been on the menu when I'm playing the safari with a good chap ever since

----------------

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ol yeller posted:

wibble wobbly: once in secondary school me mate handed me the safari nose pic- er, the Atari joystick. He said "oi, be bloody delicate with it, or it'll be a proper wibble wobbly" blimey, that's a ruddy good word, I thought, and it's been on the menu when I'm playing the safari with a good chap ever since

lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ol yeller posted:

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

ol yeller posted:

Lmao

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

copy
Jul 26, 2007

ol yeller posted:

lmfao

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

ol yeller posted:

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

ol yeller posted:

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

ol yeller posted:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ol yeller posted:

lmao

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

ol yeller posted:

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

me and my friends call any involved loadout editing "formating" or "to formate" because of the formation menu in FFT

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

ol yeller posted:

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

term: snaps

meaning: rounds of online games

etymology: derived from football terminology (snapping the ball to begin plays), specifically from switching off w/friends during games of madden 05 on xbox live ("can i get in for a few snaps?")

usage: "you guys want to grab a few snaps of COD?"

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ol yeller posted:

----------------

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
two of my cousins would play yoshi games together and they called his ground pound "doing a bling-ha"

----------------

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

whenever me nan was cross wiv me, me other nan would punch me a tenner and I'd bang on str8 to Pinky's have a half chippy and stong, bang around back now we ain't hardly rowing no more. Full stop.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

ol yeller posted:

lmao

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Called bosses professors for years because the first game I ever played was sonic on my friends master system and that’s what him and his little brother called dr robotnik.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

people who said 'boards' instead of 'levels' are all in prison now

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

tmfc posted:

people who said 'boards' instead of 'levels' are all in prison now

yep

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

welcome posted:

Men: not the rarest word for extra lives, but sticks with me because of the arcade birthday party where one kid would get down to a couple hundred lives in Turtles and start hammering the coin button while screaming "I need some more men!!"

tfw yoyre on the last board of the game tape and yoy dont have enough men

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

skimmy = scimitar

----------------

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mycophobia posted:

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

mycophobia posted:

copy
Jul 26, 2007

insane anime posted:

skimmy = scimitar

lol this one followed me and my friends all the way from diablo 2 and into like elden ring. staying power for sure

copy
Jul 26, 2007

mycophobia posted:

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

ol yeller posted:

thanks for the epic sig el spider

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Saying Paladin like Aladdin with a P in front of it

People who say “Sticks” for controllers lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

People who say “Sticks” for controllers lol

Grew up with a kid who said paddle

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That Little Demon posted:

Lol I probably did for a year until actually listening to the D2 dialogue as a Paladin.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don’t pronounce the C in scimitar or scythe even if you’re supposed to, I say Man-a and not mahna, I don’t say Free Man’s but my dad did. I had a friend in high school who said “cleanse-ee” for some reason and couldn’t be stopped. And Cashay.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Welfare kid next door called them tapes. Lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I got the tude now posted:

I think paddle might of been a welfare kid one too. Poor guy.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Wormskull posted:

Welfare kid next door called them tapes. Lol

Wormskull posted:

I think paddle might of been a welfare kid one too. Poor guy.

lol