Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Taco salad, especially when the chicken at the bottom wasn't still frozen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
We didn't have a cafeteria. Everyone bought lunch from home. We had a canteen, that sold things during recess and lunch. Sandwiches, pies, drinks, but also lots of junk food.

I f I did use the cafeteria, which was very rarely, it was to buy a plain buttered bread bun and a bag of salt and vinegar chips or Burger Rings, and put them in the bun.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Packed lunch every day in elementary

And skipped lunch every day in middle and high school

Just ate a big breakfast and then snack when I got home

Nutella
Jun 27, 2005

"And the meek shall inherit the earth"
Cheese Zombies and tomato soup.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
Almost forgot - I really like the school's peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. They were at least a day old when we got them and the jelly would have bled through the bread just so. So good. I liked them better than homemade ones. Probably not much peanut butter in school today.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

N. Senada posted:

And skipped lunch every day in middle and high school

Just ate a big breakfast and then snack when I got home

I did this in my last two years of high school. In 12th grade I would just get two cartons of milk and hung out in the open courtyard. I was able to avoid being in the middle of some glorious food fights as a result. I remember the one day the vice principal came out of the cafeteria just absolutely covered in spaghetti. I went to a high school that was about 1/3rd redneck and a 1/3rd black with a lot of deep racial tensions in southern Maryland.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

we had chicken quesadillas you could get every day that were shredded cheddar cheese and diced chicken nuggets with sour cream and salsa cups. i ate lots of those

pretty good "always available" option imo. in elementary school it was just a PB&J

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Not a meal, but my highschool had these chocolate chip cookies that were like the size of a small plate, and super greasy and barely cooked, so they were basically just greasy cookie dough? They were served fresh and warm, and you could get soft serve ice cream on top of them, and it was just incredible.

I just found this petition

https://www.change.org/p/oprf-alumni-and-boosters-change-the-oprf-school-mascot-from-the-huskies-to-the-ice-cream-cookies

But the ice cream was definitely soft serve in my day.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 14, 2023

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Liquid Chicken posted:

Almost forgot - I really like the school's peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. They were at least a day old when we got them and the jelly would have bled through the bread just so. So good. I liked them better than homemade ones. Probably not much peanut butter in school today.

Ooooooooohhhh yeah I fondly remember those :allears:

PB&Js at home were never quite the same because (at least for me) the bread at home wasn't porous enough for the jelly to soak through

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Violet_Sky posted:

Are cafeterias in elementary school an American thing?

Can't confirm if strictly American, but we had the same cafeteria food down to the menu for k-12.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Waste of Breath posted:

Can't confirm if strictly American, but we had the same cafeteria food down to the menu for k-12.

From K-12, I went to eight different public schools scattered across New York, Massachusetts, and Georgia, and the cafeteria food was exactly the same everywhere. :patriot:

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Nthing the pizza, but my high school made these extremely bomb maple donut bar things that were just divine, never had anything like them since. Not quite a donut, not quite a cake, but man alive I'd like to have one again.

My highschool also had curly fries, and every day you had the option of - burger or pizza or salad or sack lunch or make your own sub bar, plus a daily rotation dish.

stephen_falken
Mar 28, 2023

by the sex ghost
pizza burgers!

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

These things are so good but a 10 pound bag is almost 60 bucks wtf

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
In high school we had tacos/nachos available every day and I definitely ate way too many of those. Absolutely on another level compared to everything else that was offered.

Rahu fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 14, 2023

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

My school cafeteria was inexplicably good at french dip sandwiches, and clam chowder breadbowls. Everything else was mediocre/standard, those two were great

zone
Dec 6, 2016
While we did have a small cafe that sold snacks in school it didn't provide a full lunch. Everyone brought their own pretty much.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
Big shout out to the classic sloppy Joe, don't care what anyone thinks, it's a hearty sauce berg and they're great. Especially if you got tots with it. I even make them with tvp every once and awhile when I get that garbage craving

Also sometimes in middle school they would do a special day where kids on food vouchers (I.e. Poor kids like me) got those deep dish red baron personal pizzas. I think they literally microwaved like sixty of them and you just grabbed them out of a giant chest freezer/warmer thing. That was the best!

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Liquid Chicken posted:

I did this in my last two years of high school. In 12th grade I would just get two cartons of milk and hung out in the open courtyard. I was able to avoid being in the middle of some glorious food fights as a result. I remember the one day the vice principal came out of the cafeteria just absolutely covered in spaghetti. I went to a high school that was about 1/3rd redneck and a 1/3rd black with a lot of deep racial tensions in southern Maryland.

Sounds like either Charles or St Mary's to me.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."
pizza sticks or red baron pizzas
undercooked and soft chocolate chip cookies

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
idk why i just thought of this but i think the 1/4 pounder meal was $4.59 when i was in high shool

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

pencilhands posted:

Personally, I agree that attacking trump or other republicans for their physical characteristics is not only morally wrong, but can potentially drive away potential democrat voters. For example remember those statues some artist made of trump with a comically small penis, which was an obvious jab at him. As a man with a clinical micropenis, this was only another reminder of my disability and while I could never vote for a republican, it caused me a level of mental anguish that I could see a more centrist voter finding to be a bridge too far.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

just wanna say that this post made me lol DSWM

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

I went to school in south Florida and we usually had a day with Jamaican beef patties that was so good

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

20 Blunts posted:

idk why i just thought of this but i think the 1/4 pounder meal was $4.59 when i was in high shool
-
With my student discount, a whopper combo at Burger King was 3.52 in canuck dollars.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

The best was breakfast. washing the resentment about being at school that early down with french toast sticks.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Don't know about my favourite. But poutine (or an approximation of it) and curly fries were popular enough. I communted to a school in a wealthy district but it was the same cafeteria food only more expensive.

Oh and I remember that if you wanted a combo the staff would insist you could only get the specific drink shown on the picture even if it just said "+DRINK". So poutine meant Diet Coke not regular and a hamburger with fries meant Sprite. Or whatever.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 15, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Oh I forgot I lived in what was basically the Hogwart's dormitory during freshmen year of undergrad and we had an actual chef. This included special menu meals with wine and liquor even though a small portion of the students weren't even of legal age to drink.

Because Montréal owns.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Bright Bart posted:

Oh and I remember that if you wanted a combo the staff would insist you could only get the specific drink shown on the picture even if it just said +DRINK". So poutine meant Diet Coke not regular and a hamburger with fries meant Sprite. Or whatever.

Lol get rekt

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Don't know why this was so good, but it was

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Violet_Sky posted:

elementary school: brought our own.

Middle school: food brought in from KFC or other restaurant

High school: The culinary students cooked with varied results

Are cafeterias in elementary school an American thing?

Yes so kids don't starve, there is a lot of invisible food insecurity here

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
Bierocks, hands down.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We had burritos. They were actually very good.

Everything else was poo poo they sold Costco pizza for like 4 bucks a slice

It was good

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

AvesPKS posted:

Sounds like either Charles or St Mary's to me.

Worse - Calvert

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Liquid Chicken posted:

Worse - Calvert

Yargh!!!!

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

MrQwerty posted:

just wanna say that this post made me lol DSWM

the hosed up thing is i wasn't even trolling

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I went to school in Los Angeles's main district until 07 and IDK about the supply chain or sourcing, but they did still seem to actually use the kitchens.

Coffee cake - This poo poo is legendary. There is a recipe for it online that's fairly close. I came close to mad trying to find it on the outside but they just can't get the spices right.
Chicken patty sandwich - It's a breaded chicken patty on a wheat bun, ketchup and salad cup optional. Eating one of these hot while we ate in the auditorium again, the air thick with humidity from everyone's tracking in the rain, it's the El Nino of 98 and you don't know how good you have it.
Grande burger - Exactly what it sound like, they had this in high school, it was a patty about 6 inches wide with cheese on a bun, salad cup on the side.
Chalupa - A hard corn shell roughly boated shaped with cheese and some ground beef. Iconic.
Pizza - Pizza day, ska songs aside, weren't mind blowing, but it was Friday and that's always good. I remember the pepperoni was cube shaped. You can actually buy it from the wholesaler if you want, it's called Tony's Commodity Pizza. No I didn't make that up. My middle school had Dominos available, for I think about $3.50, which blew my mind because that wasn't of the school, what's it doing here, it was a nice treat when I saved up some lunch money and splurged.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

Bright Bart posted:

Oh and I remember that if you wanted a combo the staff would insist you could only get the specific drink shown on the picture even if it just said "+DRINK". So poutine meant Diet Coke not regular and a hamburger with fries meant Sprite. Or whatever.

This type of thing blows my mind. Like, I remember in elementary school, on hot pretzel day, I asked for a pretzel with no cheese, but the kitchen worker told me no. Like, what the gently caress, lady? I ended up not eating lunch that day.

Edit: And I get that working in an elementary school kitchen probably sucks, but do you really need to take it out on some loving 8 year old (or however old I was at the time)?

stephen_falken
Mar 28, 2023

by the sex ghost

Yep I hear you goons speakin truth. Glenelg is no f*cking picnic either.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
There are probably rules including nutrition requirements and calorie limits. That's why you had to have the cheese (1 serving of dairy) and the goon above had to get diet coke with the hot dog or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.
She could have at least given it to me on the side, then.