Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
My high school had a wide menu. Each day they had a hot choice and a cold choice, something like salisbury steak and tuna salad. The menu could go an entire month without repeat (Except for the fact that they offered pizza each Friday.) My favorite, however, was often the Humphrey. This was simply a double entree. It got its name from one of the football players, named Humphrey, that went to the school back in 1958 always asked for double entrees. It cost an extra 50 cents, as I recall. Full lunch at school was $1.50 for regular and $2.00 for a Humphrey. If you wanted a brownie, that was an extra quarter.

At least once a month they offered a full salad bar. For $2.00.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

A salad bar in a public school seems like liability town

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Jimlit posted:

A salad bar in a public school seems like liability town

Yes, but this was back in the day. We are talking 1978. When schools still had actual silverware and reusable trays and such.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Genesplicer posted:

Yes, but this was back in the day. We are talking 1978. When schools still had actual silverware and reusable trays and such.

Do they not anymore? I graduated high school in 2007 and we had plastic trays and normal silverware

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
We never had cafeterias or anything. Everyone brought in their own lunch, or didn't. Closest thing would be maybe a tuck shop but that is just a little mini food shop on the school grounds anyway. I never got food from there, I was poor as poo poo lol.

I usually just had, like, a sandwich and museli bar honestly. Apple maybe. Water obviously.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

saw a kid start a fight by taking one of those trays the the back of another kids head. it broke in two and the cowboy stew or whatever the hell mostly landed on the assailant.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

The Saucer Hovers posted:

saw a kid start a fight by taking one of those trays the the back of another kids head. it broke in two and the cowboy stew or whatever the hell mostly landed on the assailant.

While not a public primary / secondary school, I learned this while working at the dining halls at Penn State University.

The PSU football team had their own dining hall. They had much better quality meals than the rest of us rabble students; HOWEVER, they were not allowed to have drinking cups made from glass, metal silverware nor any ceramic plates or bowls. This was due to previous issues of the meatheads fighting among themselves and players getting injured in dining hall food fights and brawls.

Those of us who went to PSU, the Chicken Cosmo sandwiches ruled.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Bosco cheese infused bread sticks

SayHelloToParsley
Jan 14, 2018

Dick Bastardly posted:

We had breadstick day back in middle school. 3 sticks and nacho cheese sauce and it rocked. The breadsticks were fluffy and garlicky. Then I got to high school and they replaced them with Bosco sticks and those things were comparatively hell. :911:

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Dick Bastardly posted:

literally the only food i remember from public school. god those things were so good(bad)

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

pencilhands posted:

Do they not anymore? I graduated high school in 2007 and we had plastic trays and normal silverware

I've taught at the same middle school since 1991. We have always had a lunch court with service windows. Each window had a different choice. One has pizza, one has salads, one has the specialty of the day, and we have a grill with burgers. Kids get to choose whatever they want, but it is all served fast-food style. Disposable paper and plastic only.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm irrationally angry at American school food.

Didn't Bush or Regan make ketchup count as a vegetable or was that a joke?

Although my favorite was the turkey/mashed potatoes/gravy/veggie thing that we'd get in elementary school. Elementary school food was the best tasting, most varied, and healthiest by far.

edit: that would have been the late 80s/early 90s. All downhill from there.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm irrationally angry at American school food.

Didn't Bush or Regan make ketchup count as a vegetable or was that a joke?

No joke and that was Reagan - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketchup_as_a_vegetable

Then he became a vegetable too!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

edit: lol

quote:

A similar controversy arose in 2011, when Congress passed a bill prohibiting the USDA from increasing the amount of tomato paste required to constitute a vegetable; the bill allowed pizza with two tablespoons (30 mL) of tomato paste to qualify as a vegetable.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 19, 2023

LOLbertsons
Apr 8, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

Ooooooooohhhh yeah I fondly remember those :allears:

PB&Js at home were never quite the same because (at least for me) the bread at home wasn't porous enough for the jelly to soak through

Such fond memories of the day old PB & J. I found pre-packaged ones at Central Market today. It was perfect. Hit the spot. I drank a quart of milk with it.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Those big sugar cookies that were warm and barely baked.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The fries your could get with any order.

The tator tots were gross.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Yes. The square saugage pizza. Highlight of my day after the upper-middle class kids got done driving me into oblivion with their harsh words of doom for my welfare trailer court existence.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Spacegrass posted:

Yes. The square saugage pizza. Highlight of my day after the upper-middle class kids got done driving me into oblivion with their harsh words of doom for my welfare trailer court existence.

Here’s your little envelope full of bright red free school lunch tickets for the week. Now make sure you stand in the special line with the other poverty-stricken pieces of poo poo and don’t lose the tickets or you go hungry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

satanic splash-back posted:

The fries your could get with any order.

The tator tots were gross.

I'm always weirded out by stuff like burgers & fries in school food. I used to see a lot of that in american shows as a kid and it really stood out to me. Would never happen in school where I went, it was all standard home cooking like fare and some stuff we'd never make at home like blood bread. They started adding pizzas as I grew older but I don't think they serve fries or burgers even today.