Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the enemy of your enemy is a selfish shitbag simply using you as a convenient weapon and will discard you without a second thought when your usefulness to them is exhausted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

I've just promised myself that the next person to even edge into the lightest lib-poo poo "just asking questions" Transphobia is going to be treated the same way I treat Nazis. It's how I keep sane.

And kids aren't nearly as Transphobic as older people are. People 20 and under think that Transphobes are batshit nuts.

I feel like this is one of the things that makes me feel better. none of the transphobia seems to be really catching on nearly as much with younger people

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Al! posted:

i would like to believe it's benign neglect as you both described but that doesnt explain why every liberal rag has run a detransition story, a "grooming" story, and a story where fascist psychos are equated to be exactly the same as the people who want their gender affirming care to be left alone

A really funny thing I learned about the detransitioners from my trans friends is that, if they're on Twitter, you can search their user name with "testosterone" or "estrogen" or stuff to that effect and find out that the vast majority of these detransitioners are still taking HRT.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I would totally have read an asexual romance novel.

I've been reading this web serial called Pale Lights (palelights.com), and one of its two protagonists (Tristan) is an asexual guy who ends up having a romance (even though the story itself is more of a suspenseful fantasy thing). It stood out to me mainly because I haven't encountered many asexual people in fiction.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2E9_0C_MsA

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Ytlaya posted:

I've been reading this web serial called Pale Lights (palelights.com), and one of its two protagonists (Tristan) is an asexual guy who ends up having a romance (even though the story itself is more of a suspenseful fantasy thing). It stood out to me mainly because I haven't encountered many asexual people in fiction.

Even outside the lens of sexuality, a lot of people go through life seeking out love from others without ever learning how to love themselves :unsmith:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lux Anima posted:

Even outside the lens of sexuality, a lot of people go through life seeking out love from others without ever learning how to love themselves :unsmith:

This doesn't resemble me in any way, I don't know why you would bring it up.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Glad you had fun

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
oh there's a new thread lets kill the straights

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
We're not supposed to talk about plan Q.U.E.E.N. outside of the meetings comrade

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

i'm extremely supportive of trans rights. i just want to know why they're collectively plotting to indoctrinate my children, whom i must then kill

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ytlaya posted:

There is a TV in my kitchen/breakfast nook area specifically for my parrots to watch cartoons and sitcoms if they are being left alone for a while. This weekend I was doing chores while they had Birdgirl on and a few episodes in I overheard a plotline that involved her being declared canonically asexual and had to go look and see if I was hearing things right. I was, and while I cannot comment on general show quality I was delighted because I could not have dreamed up such hyperspecific representation if I tried. My three favorite interests! Birds, identifying with birds, and not having sex.

I do think explicitly ace characters are probably tricky to write as romantic leads for reasons ranging from character integrity to audience expectations, but I hope any sort of fictional rep becomes more common. If I had understood the sexuality spectrum even a little better even a little earlier in life it would have saved both me and a lot of ex-partners a lot of pain and confusion.

Lux Anima posted:

Zeroisanumber posted:

This doesn't resemble me in any way, I don't know why you would bring it up.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I don't really post in a lot of queer spaces, but I figure why not, this is a good place to vent with strangers on the internet. I hope this doesn't throw off the vibe of the thread!

So I'm in a small town. This is the area I grew up in and I have a lot of connection to it. Only very recently (within the last five years) have we began to have Pride celebrations, and they weren't really starting to be a "known about" thing until this year. I attended it this year and it was fun. I ended up leaving early because I'm not a fan of large crowds and was becoming anxious. My partner and I basically walked together and they got some heckling about their outfit from dumbasses, which also threw off my vibe. Overall, the event went really well and was well received, though.

Well, at least until recently. Now a bunch of churches are getting extremely mad about it lmao

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I bought another manga tonight called Is Love The Answer? that the back cover says is

quote:

A poignant coming-of-age story about a young woman coming into her own as she discovers her identity as aromantic asexual.

I know a goon recommending manga is a cliche but I actually have found a lot of good queer stories and memoirs that feel real across a ton of identities. And occasionally some horrible ones but those aren't the ones I recommend.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The first volume of X-Gender is hilarious because the author is so ridiculously loving goony.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Probably well known around these parts but the comic Alex + Ada is worth checking out.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

shinigami tasogare (our dreams at dusk) is the go-to gay manga thread rec

if you want some trans masc representation (which is rare but getting more common) there's boys run the riot

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Shiroc posted:

I bought another manga tonight called Is Love The Answer? that the back cover says is

quote:

A poignant coming-of-age story about a young woman coming into her own as she discovers her identity as aromantic asexual.
I know a goon recommending manga is a cliche but I actually have found a lot of good queer stories and memoirs that feel real across a ton of identities. And occasionally some horrible ones but those aren't the ones I recommend.

I have never read a Manga

Sounds like it's time to start :blastu:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

shinigami tasogare (our dreams at dusk) is the go-to gay manga thread rec

This is really good and also has gorgeous art.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I wouldn't put it in my top tier but I think about this panel from time to time and have a laugh

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Legit feeling down today about the latest Elon musk thing. I'm so loving tired of these weirdos being everywhere

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

I can totally understand that. these freaks have the loudest microphones and never shut up. it's just so exhausting to hear this poo poo all day every day

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I did a presentation at work where I talked about what being trans and what transition has meant for me. I've only gotten responses that were positive about it, with a bunch of people messaging me directly about it. I have no idea if anyone really took away what I was hoping but at least no one said anything lovely in a place I could see.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

tokin opposition posted:

Legit feeling down today about the latest Elon musk thing. I'm so loving tired of these weirdos being everywhere

ive thoroughly enjoyed abandoning twitter since i did that a couple weeks ago

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

tokin opposition posted:

Elon Musk is the dumbest man alive.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

tokin opposition posted:

A bunch of early-20's Trans kids took over the old industrial dance club that I used to work at and I went down a couple weeks back and it made me feel good to see a place that I found a bunch of love and acceptance become that place again for a whole new generation. :unsmith:

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

tokin opposition posted:

If it makes you feel any better:

Elon Musk is a name that classic sci-fi author-genius Isaac Asimov would give to an odious earth capitalist, who was

Reviled for being "the Most-Divorced Man on Earth" and thus yearned to relocate to Mars,

Who bought Twitter for an unrecoverable sum of ill-gained money in order to stick it to his ex-family but also to UN-BAN THE EX-PREZ because he, lonE, can't personally run for U.S. President, and then brutally

Got rejected and became the posterchild to the capitalist-to-fascist pipeline, while both supporting idiocy and also improving earth's auto-pilot-tech at humanity's immeasurable expense

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Just wish he'd fall on his sword faster, TBH

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I don’t want to do whatever the queer version of posting puppy pictures next to bad news is but I’m gonna post a few recent wins in the good fight that we’ve had in the past week.

Just in the past week we’ve had wins in Florida, Arkansas and Indiana:
https://floridapolitics.com/archives/619861-federal-judge-orders-florida-medicaid-to-cover-gender-affirming-care/
https://www.aclu-in.org/en/press-releases/federal-court-blocks-indiana-ban-gender-affirming-care-trans-youth
https://apnews.com/article/politics-arkansas-gender-lgbtq-legislation-us-news-2a0d032f4e4f3195c180d879239e6521

And support from the AMA:
https://www.ama-assn.org/press-center/press-releases/ama-reinforces-opposition-restrictions-transgender-medical-care

Maryland just became the 12th sanctuary state.
https://www.wbaltv.com/article/maryland-executive-order-lgbtqia-gender-affirming-care/44118582

Queensland passes new law allowing trans people to self-ID on birth certificates
https://www.thepinknews.com/2023/06/15/queensland-birth-certificates-trans-self-id/

Mayor Adams Signs Executive Order Protecting Access to Gender-Affirming Health Care in New York City
https://www.nyc.gov/office-of-the-m...e-new-york-city

Feeling down is very valid and if there was any grand plan in existence it obviously wouldn’t include the planet’s dumbest/most divorced man having access to an internet bullhorn and yet here we are. But also, Mayor Bitcoin said “trans rights”.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I don’t want to do whatever the queer version of posting puppy pictures next to bad news is but I’m gonna post a few recent wins in the good fight that we’ve had in the past week.

It's not my place to comment on how you or tokin or any other trans community member feels right now, living in the world we do. But I believe strongly in a human need to cultivate positivity to be able to push through the endless fields of cruelty and negativity that come with living in it, and the more miserable and hopeless the circumstances the more necessary is an ability to reach out and find something encouraging to hold onto. Thank you for sharing some good news.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Feeling down is very valid and if there was any grand plan in existence it obviously wouldn’t include the planet’s dumbest/most divorced man having access to an internet bullhorn and yet here we are. But also, Mayor Bitcoin said “trans rights”.

:yeah:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Shiroc posted:

I did a presentation at work where I talked about what being trans and what transition has meant for me. I've only gotten responses that were positive about it, with a bunch of people messaging me directly about it. I have no idea if anyone really took away what I was hoping but at least no one said anything lovely in a place I could see.

💗💗💗

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SerSpook posted:

I don't really post in a lot of queer spaces, but I figure why not, this is a good place to vent with strangers on the internet. I hope this doesn't throw off the vibe of the thread!

So I'm in a small town. This is the area I grew up in and I have a lot of connection to it. Only very recently (within the last five years) have we began to have Pride celebrations, and they weren't really starting to be a "known about" thing until this year. I attended it this year and it was fun. I ended up leaving early because I'm not a fan of large crowds and was becoming anxious. My partner and I basically walked together and they got some heckling about their outfit from dumbasses, which also threw off my vibe. Overall, the event went really well and was well received, though.

Well, at least until recently. Now a bunch of churches are getting extremely mad about it lmao

Also, welcome, :justpost: :) I am glad that your Pride experience overall was encouraging -- I hope the churches' outrage after the fact does not end up tarnishing that too much.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Coming down from the pride high is tough. It's the most normal I'd ever felt ever and a feeling I want to continue to carry with me

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

we're all normal here, friend :shobon:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I found out that a super cute new to me yuri series called A Tropical Fish Yearns For Snow was actually fully released and I could get the rest of the story ordered now. A pride month miracle.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

just got my HRT blood test drawn

I had a post draw near faint, but I did it

worth a quail's egg.

:stoked:

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

StratGoatCom posted:

just got my HRT blood test drawn

I had a post draw near faint, but I did it

worth a quail's egg.

:stoked:
oooh congrats, it feels pretty momentous doesn't it? :)

i've been riding the roller-coaster of puberty II these last couple of weeks since i got my updated E patches, i've been listening to so much tori amos/kate Bush/1980s shoegazer music and taking artsy pictures of dead trees, it's ridiculous and cliche but also kind of fun

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Seattle Trans Pride was really great last night. I'm going to go out in a little bit to see what's going on for some of the 'general' pride events before the Dyke March this evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
One thing that is kinda mixed is that Trans Pride and the Dyke March moved off the main streets so they wouldn't run into issues with the city requiring cops for permits. Obviously gently caress having cops anywhere near us but it also makes things less visible.