Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."
So here I am posting from a state hospital in Texas after moving from a maximum security facility; electronic devices are allowed. AMA.

Some Acronyms:
NGRI: Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity
PNA: Psychiatric Nurse Assistant
PRN: 'pro re nata,' which means that the administration of medication is not scheduled
LVN: Licensed Vocational Nurse
MSU: Maximum Security Unit

"What was your crime?"

My index offense was 2x counts of aggravated assault, I was incredibly delusional at the time and I attacked my aunt and uncle after a thought blocking episode where I was unable to think for around ten seconds. I believed in telepathy at the time due to less than credible 'studies' 'proving' mild telepathy, over the course of a few years - around the same time schizophrenia manifests - and a few concussions later I was fully psychotic and believed in thought broadcasting. So I believed they did it and went to confront them and lost control over what I was doing, if I had the presence of mind at the time I would have used a spray bottle of water.

I was offered probation, but my lawyer decided to go with NGRI after my insanity evaluation thinking that I would get out sooner. The avg stay in Mental Facilities is three years in Texas.

Feel free to ask questions about jail too, I have no experience with the prison system (thankfully.)

Passive Aggreeable fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Do they give you lots of cool/fun drugs?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What's the babe situation like

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Anti psychotics for free, normal drugs illegally.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
are the drugs free and how are they???

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

When did your mental health issues surface for the first time?

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

verbal enema posted:

What's the babe situation like

It is coed and we "have the right to interact with the opposite sex" but no not great. Anti-psychotics usually lead to weight gain and at the max place they were just incredibly crazy.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
damb nooner beat me

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
What is there to do in a mental hospital? Do you get to use exercise equipment or have outside time?

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

haljordan posted:

When did your mental health issues surface for the first time?

I was diagnosed with adhd in my early twenties so I would say when I first decided to drop out of school. Recently my psychosis and lack of caring led to a 2 week involuntary stay in a private mental hospital a few years ago. Basically a cop can decide if you go there and I was responding to internal stimuli and acting erratically after I tried to ask someone to let me spend the night. You lose your gun rights. So feel free to ask me about the private mental institution too.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Passive Aggreeable posted:

I was diagnosed with adhd in my early twenties so I would say when I first decided to drop out of school. Recently my psychosis and lack of caring led to a 2 week involuntary stay in a private mental hospital a few years ago. Basically a cop can decide if you go there and I was responding to internal stimuli and acting erratically after I tried to ask someone to let me spend the night. You lose your gun rights. So feel free to ask me about the private mental institution too.

Is a private facility worse than one run by the state?

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Convex posted:

What is there to do in a mental hospital? Do you get to use exercise equipment or have outside time?

You get assigned different badge levels and from those you are allowed to go outside. We have access to cable equipment, treadmills, and bikes. My current facility has free weights. Typically there is a department that runs classes every weekday for those of a high enough tag level. So arts and crafts (here we have painting and paper mache I believe). Mainly just chill, I have a laptop that I can use, so I play wc3 and valorant with my 100gb hotspot plan.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

haljordan posted:

Yes. There was unlimited coffee though, Two people per bedroom as opposed to six in the Maximum security facility and 4 at the other state hospital where I am at now. The Maximum security facility had hot food and bigger portions while these have the food put on trays beforehand.

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
Do you have a roommate? I imagine two people with mental/medical issues living in close quarters can’t be good, but solitude might be worse.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Are there any residents in the facility who are there simply because they're in their early 20s and completely terrified about life in general and their parents freaked, or is it mainly people who are demonstrably mentally ill?

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

MoonshineWilly posted:

Do you have a roommate? I imagine two people with mental/medical issues living in close quarters can’t be good, but solitude might be worse.

Fights broke out all the time at the maximum security facility. Six people per room there. The state of things are that they are full so you might be lucky to have people switch rooms or units after something happens. (depending on the severity)

Passive Aggreeable fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 14, 2023

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
I've been in a mental institution as a juvenile. I hope you get better! Remember to take your meds!

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

haljordan posted:

Are there any residents in the facility who are there simply because they're in their early 20s and completely terrified about life in general and their parents freaked, or is it mainly people who are demonstrably mentally ill?

Most people at the maximum security units are incompetent aka they failed to demonstrate to a psychiatrist that they understand what goes on in court. Very few are chapter 46c NGRI (not guilty by reason of insanity) while everyone here in the less restrictive hospital are NGRI.

To answer your question you can be committed by being evaluated from the outside world, I haven't come across any of those. Everyone here is here after being acquitted from some sort of crime.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I feel like a toooon of defendants in criminal cases try to claim they're NGRI, is it actually hard to try and fake that poo poo with an expert?

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

haljordan posted:

I feel like a toooon of defendants in criminal cases try to claim they're NGRI, is it actually hard to try and fake that poo poo with an expert?

Nationally the insanity defense is only used in about 1% of cases and about 25% of that are successful.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Which character in one flew over the cuckoos nest are you the most like?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Are your aunt and uncle upset with you at all?

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

haljordan posted:

Are your aunt and uncle upset with you at all?

I haven't spoken with them at all since it happened. They moved from my parents house where we were all staying. I am incredibly ashamed of what happened and it might take some time before I really have an explanation for them other than that I was psychotic, everyone was shocked, they are doing fine as relayed through my father. I imagine that they wouldn't be terribly upset. I was psychotic for quite a time (as defined by having a belief system that adversely affected my life) so I was to embarrassed to admit to them that I did it.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Well poo poo that's all the questions I can think of for now, sorry if any of them were stupid lol. I wish you all the best in your recovery though and thanks for being so open.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

ArmZ posted:

Which character in one flew over the cuckoos nest are you the most like?

send me a clip or something because I just watched the trailer ( I don't really watch movies) and I'd have to say the PNA that decided to fight back.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHbizv1vEgI

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

send me a clip or something because I just watched the trailer ( I don't really watch movies) and I'd have to say the PNA that decided to fight back.

it's a book too!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Flew_Over_the_Cuckoo%27s_Nest_%28novel%29?wprov=sfla1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMgUGuRDvQk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1itc2aC-qE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrcmD7ziwio

ArmedZombie fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 14, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Have you made any meaningful relationships with the other people at the facility?

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Anti psychotics for free, normal drugs illegally.

You sound like a piece of poo poo still OP who is taking their recovery very seriously.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
What the poo poo is NGRI?

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

haljordan posted:

There also isn't a canteen, classes, or rehab staff in the private hospital.

Konar posted:

You sound like a piece of poo poo still OP who is taking their recovery very seriously.

Hey, I didn't say I was taking them!

I have been enrolled in copsd (Co-Occurring Psychiatric and Substance Use Disorder) for mentioning that I took marijuana in the past for migraines.

verbal enema posted:

Have you made any meaningful relationships with the other people at the facility?

I talk to D who is still in the Max Facility from time to time. One of my other buddies moved to a different state hospital so I have yet to see if he has my number. All the PNA's (Psychiatric Nurse Assistants) have been really nice and cool.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E3PA9J5qcI

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

What the poo poo is NGRI?

Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Do the meds have negative side effects for you(aside from the weight gain) and do you miss not being on meds sometimes? I hope you get better op and wish you all the best :)

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Maybe it would be easier if I just ask rehab staff if we can watch it lol. We just had a basketball tournament too, too bad I didn't watch. I'd never call everyone nuts though, you'd probably get yo rear end beat

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'd love to see some loonies playing bball

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

verbal enema posted:

I'd love to see some loonies playing bball

Gonna ask my bookie if he'd take action on that poo poo

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

Do the meds have negative side effects for you(aside from the weight gain) and do you miss not being on meds sometimes? I hope you get better op and wish you all the best :)

RN I am on 10mg abilify, so basically nothing. If you are in the system you are probably on some sort of medication and they make sure that you take it.

I was under court ordered meds which included a typical medley of Olanzapine and Depakote. They made me sleepy, and I gained weight. Doctors don't know that olanzapine causes a brain volume reduction despite it being effective in dealing with psychotic symptoms.

I don't believe that I have the diagnosis that I do have and I might sue the doctor that I saw in jail for putting me under court ordered medication (a previous doctor diagnosed me with acute psychosis rule out schizophrenia which means he strongly thinks its schizophrenia. I never had any positive symptoms or negative symptoms of schizoprenia and its possible that I was psychotic from stress, ocd, and/or concussions.

My last visit with a psychiatrist: she basically told me that a run in with the law is abnormal and since its greater than 6 months apart it is probably schizophrenia and not something like schizophreniform, she mentioned that I could eventually reduce the amount of meds I am taking. My one symptom of thought blocking led to two certificates of examination taking less than five minutes each, never once was a probing question about my illness asked, so I am pretty dissatisfied overall with how things have went.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-0sUuGufmw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

haljordan posted:

Gonna ask my bookie if he'd take action on that poo poo

The its always sunny bball episode