Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Passive Aggreeable posted:

RN I am on 10mg abilify, so basically nothing. If you are in the system you are probably on some sort of medication and they make sure that you take it.

I was under court ordered meds which included a typical medley of Olanzapine and Depakote. They made me sleepy, and I gained weight. Doctors don't know that olanzapine causes a brain volume reduction despite it being effective in dealing with psychotic symptoms.

I don't believe that I have the diagnosis that I do have and I might sue the doctor that I saw in jail for putting me under court ordered medication (a previous doctor diagnosed me with acute psychosis rule out schizophrenia which means he strongly thinks its schizophrenia. I never had any positive symptoms or negative symptoms of schizoprenia and its possible that I was psychotic from stress, ocd, and/or concussions.

My last visit with a psychiatrist: she basically told me that a run in with the law is abnormal and since its greater than 6 months apart it is probably schizophrenia and not something like schizophreniform, she mentioned that I could eventually reduce the amount of meds I am taking. My one symptom of thought blocking led to two certificates of examination taking less than five minutes each, never once was a probing question about my illness asked, so I am pretty dissatisfied overall with how things have went.

I bet your shrink had to see 50 other patients the same day so yeah I don't blame you for feeling dissatisfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Was there anyone in there because they had a song stuck in their head and it wouldn't go away?

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Was there anyone in there because they had a song stuck in their head and it wouldn't go away?

No.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

I was offered probation, but my lawyer decided to go with NGRI after my insanity evaluation thinking that I would get out sooner. The avg stay in Mental Facilities is three years in Texas.

I'm interested in your (and your lawyer's) thought process with respect to the above. Did you tilt towards this defense because you thought it would generate a less severe outcome or because it was objectively true? Related question but do you think you would have enrolled yourself in mental health treatment if your crime had been adjudicated in the jail/prison system? What do you think would have happened to you with respect to your mental health if you weren't committed?

Do you regret the decision to mount a NGRI defense?

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

haljordan posted:

I bet your shrink had to see 50 other patients the same day so yeah I don't blame you for feeling dissatisfied.

There was a ratio of about 1 psychiatrist per unit of 72 people at the maximum security facility. There was only two units open on the campus. There is one psychiatrist here for the entire facility that I am at now.

The wait list for incompetency ruling to state hospital is about two years.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Serrath posted:

I'm interested in your (and your lawyer's) thought process with respect to the above. Did you tilt towards this defense because you thought it would generate a less severe outcome or because it was objectively true? Related question but do you think you would have enrolled yourself in mental health treatment if your crime had been adjudicated in the jail/prison system? What do you think would have happened to you with respect to your mental health if you weren't committed?

My lawyer is a court-appointed attorney that my dad hired and I honestly can't tell you his thought processes about it. He told me in court that I would ultimately be home sooner. I was on probation at the time and I would have violated with a probation ruling. My probation was dropped with my acquittal. It was five years deferred and I had enough back time to be eligible for parole if I was sentenced for five years (1/4 time). Most lawyers don't see NGRI and my lawyer was probably the same. I wouldn't have, my psychosis spontaneously went away with time.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqX34_0mhmE

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoF_a0-7xVQ

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Doctors don't know that olanzapine causes a brain volume reduction despite it being effective in dealing with psychotic symptoms.

Seems concerning. How do you know what the doctors don’t?

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Seems concerning. How do you know what the doctors don’t?

I had an awful withdrawal that felt like my brain was burning after I switched meds (I saw my pcp) and I did some research. I'd like to second the sentiment that doctors are basically sold drugs based on their effectiveness in studies at relieving symptoms.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSvmwGWZtSg

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

I honestly can't tell you his thought processes about it.

I'm not saying this is the standard that was applied or is always applied but being "insane" is considered, legally, to either be true or not true. So, in theory, if someone was insane at the time of their offence, they should be adjudicated in the same way and discussion about the pros and cons of mounting this defense shouldn't apply (I'm trying to be precise with my wording here but someone isn't "made" insane at the time of their offence because they were successful in a legal argument, it's meant to be either true or not true based on specific legal tests). If a lawyer thinks you qualify for this defense, they're meant to advance it in court, not think on the different potential outcomes of this strategy vs keeping quiet about their suspicions.

That said, this is the standard that is aspired to and virtually all jurisdictions fall short of this. I don't want to insinuate anything but is it possible that your psychosis resolved with treatment rather than spontaneously going into remission? (I mean this question respectfully)

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Will you keep up your treatment and meds after being released? Is there anyone to enforce you (and others) to take your meds once you’re free?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JISQMhtXiSM

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Serrath posted:

I'm not saying this is the standard that was applied or is always applied but being "insane" is considered, legally, to either be true or not true. So, in theory, if someone was insane at the time of their offence, they should be adjudicated in the same way and discussion about the pros and cons of mounting this defense shouldn't apply (I'm trying to be precise with my wording here but someone isn't "made" insane at the time of their offence because they were successful in a legal argument, it's meant to be either true or not true based on specific legal tests). If a lawyer thinks you qualify for this defense, they're meant to advance it in court, not think on the different potential outcomes of this strategy vs keeping quiet about their suspicions.

That said, this is the standard that is aspired to and virtually all jurisdictions fall short of this. I don't want to insinuate anything but is it possible that your psychosis resolved with treatment rather than spontaneously going into remission? (I mean this question respectfully)

Yes, the doctor who ran the insanity evaluation said I most likely qualified and my lawyer who already negotiated probation was most likely 'meant to advance it'. I can only relate to you that he told me because I would get out sooner.

In Texas you are NGRI if you did not know what you were doing was wrong at the time of the offense, and it was found that this also means you didn't know what you were doing was illegal. And to a lesser degree there is a pattern of people who are typical NGRIs.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Sophy Wackles posted:

Will you keep up your treatment and meds after being released? Is there anyone to enforce you (and others) to take your meds once you’re free?

Yes, I have to do whatever the doctor tells me to do. As a part of outpatient treatment I will have to report to my local mental health authority in whatever way they seem fit until my time out date which is twice the maximum sentence of a second degree felony, 40 years, for two counts. Unless a judge decides to drop jurisdiction over me.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I had an awful withdrawal that felt like my brain was burning after I switched meds (I saw my pcp) and I did some research. I'd like to second the sentiment that doctors are basically sold drugs based on their effectiveness in studies at relieving symptoms.

You should talk to your therapist about conspiracy theories

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8teY54fMsxY

MArk Knoplfer pranks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Flowers for QAnon posted:

You should talk to your therapist about conspiracy theories

I am sort of skirting the balance between being edgy and saying what I want and what I think you want me to say.

Olanzapine is regarded as very good imo and imo doctors aren't exposed to these studies showing brain volume reduction and yet don't like doctors perform the studies!?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Have you made any friendships while you're there?

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Serrath posted:

I partially regret it, I could've been out much sooner without an NGRI. I is much better here than it is in prison and I generally have an "it already happened" attitude about it. My treatment team (a multidisciplinary group of people that follow and plan your treatment, medication, recovery, including a Nurse, Psychologist, sometimes a Psychiatrist, Social Worker, Case Manager, and Rehab Staff) said that they hear my sentiments about being offered probation and are talking about giving me a risk assessment (for discharge) after my 6 month meeting. Ultimately this is just a suggestion and the court has the final say as to whether or not I am discharged.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Have you made any friendships while you're there?

In max: I talked with an amateur mma fighter who wants to cross train with me and we talk periodically, another guy with boxing experience aka my boy hasn't called me back since he passed his Dangerousness Review Board and moved to a lesser restrictive hospital.

Everyone in my current hospital is really laid back (everyone here has a diagnosis) and mostly quiet and we had some recent move arounds in the unit as my unit changed role from discharge to intake so I only see my sort of friends aka Yiff shirt and Lifter outside. Some of the new people are cool and we listen to music like Slug Christ and ZillaKami when staff are chilling with us.

Edit: I was friends with my roommate that was with me at the private hospital, we hung out a few times later after we got out, we both liked $uicideboy$.

Passive Aggreeable fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 15, 2023

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Love Slug Christ hokay hokay hokay

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Glad to hear you are on the mend OP, I hope they figure out the issues with the brain meds and your diagnosis soon :) stay safe and well!

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

GetDunked posted:

Glad to hear you are on the mend OP, I hope they figure out the issues with the brain meds and your diagnosis soon :) stay safe and well!
sorry i typed this when I had a very poor grasp of what GetDunked was saying, thanks. I thought he said that I get my diagnosis soon.

I was actually diagnosed with schizophrenia in jail when I was complaining about anxiety and I intentionally avoided eye contact during our discussion. He said he could prescribe abilify and I said "okay" not remembering what it was for. He put a court order for medication when I requested to switch. I then gained 45 lbs from olanzapine while I waited for court for the next few months. I lost it with strattera for some reason when I was bailed out. I then regained 50 lbs when the same doctor court ordered prolexin and I am slowly losing that as well since I changed back to abilify.

I am currently skeptical of my diagnosis but I don't want to be the guy who 'lacks insight' towards his mental illness and I don't want to be the guy who is skeptical of medication. So here I am still taking it.

I was diagnosed with adhd and later narcolepsy in my twenties (I was a very tired person). I have yet to have a real discussion with a psychiatrist about other potential causes of my psychotic episode. Such as the suggestion that it could be a from a withdrawal of stimulant medication. I just took my intake interview so hopefully some of my views are submitted to court and my treatment team.

Thanks for the wishes everyone.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Stimulant withdrawal doesn't make you attack people, and it sounds like you're denying your involvement or your body's involvement in the diagnosis but I'm not a fuckin doctor or anything, and I'm sorry for your situation.

Good luck

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah I don't know anything but OP schizophrenia sounds like a much more plausible explanation

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

satanic splash-back posted:

Stimulant withdrawal doesn't make you attack people, and it sounds like you're denying your involvement or your body's involvement in the diagnosis but I'm not a fuckin doctor or anything, and I'm sorry for your situation.

Good luck

That's true and most mentally ill people are non-violent. But as I explained I was psychotic at the time and I believed they did it and my mental processes at the time after this thought blocking episode were really faulty.

I've also had a seizure without explanation, convulsions and everything while I remained conscious which is something I haven't read about.

mystes posted:

Yeah I don't know anything but OP schizophrenia sounds like a much more plausible explanation

Schizophrenia is more like hallucinations and negative symptoms such as flat effect, to diagnose me with that would be heavily borrowing from the idea that it impedes on your life.

I also had an mri taken in 2016 that diagnosed me with non-specific leukoencephalopathy and I was experiencing migraines at a pain level of six everyday. So really idk at this point. Schizo is a brain disease that lasts for life and here I am at full remission of whatever was causing my psychosis and with insight into my once fervently held delusions. Delusions by themselves can cause psychosis as well.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

That's true and most mentally ill people are non-violent.

Although in my three months at maximum security I have seen unprovoked attacks at least three times of various seriousness.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

do you think maybe y ou've been haunted by something/someone or something else supernatural, op

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Chief McHeath posted:

do you think maybe y ou've been haunted by something/someone or something else supernatural, op

on the real when I was psychotic I believed in a super intelligence due to the quantum entanglement of distant matter (which made telepathy possible). So I used to believe there was a time and place for any idea to be real (under circumstances that would latently be described as miraculous or non-revealing)

Most people that I have encountered who smoke ice believe in and have seen shadow people.

Mind control/thought's being read are a somewhat common trend here.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

How's the food situation and how do they deliver it? If applicable, how early do people line up to be the first to get theirs?

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Food is great when you compare it to what they serve in jail.

In the Maximum security facility, they would send it over with a trailer in a cart and reheat it on a line. The canteen had a variety of fried and grilled foods for sale, hamburgers, chicken strips, fries, onion rings, you can get a job for an hour a day to pay for canteen costs. Pizza was the best state provided food. We all have to wake up for mealtime at 7:00 and they would call you by name, slow eaters are called first and people who have shown that they can't eat in the dining room will eat off to go trays in the day room.

In the less restrictive hospital the canteen has no fried or grilled foods but has decent microwaved foods. A chicken sandwich costs $1.06, and a bologna sandwich is under $.30. The portions here are smaller as far as state food goes and the breakfast menu is pretty awful but it still is good food with a main, sides, and dessert. We also get 7$ to spend on incentive meals once a month, last month we had pizza hut melts, ice cream, and soda. The food arrives on carts with your diet card in the tray and it's first come first served. People usually line up as it is, we don't line up beforehand but a few of us will wait for the carts to push them to the dining room. Edit: You can also work here for up to two hours a day at a variety of jobs. (at minimum wage)

Passive Aggreeable fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 15, 2023

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

That sounds pretty decent, also nice to hear the place is pretty chill. It's sucks to be stuck in there but it is nice to have most responsibilities lifted off your shoulders giving you the time and energy to work on getting better. Hope it works out well for you :love:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Did you have anyone who caught you early and tried to help/intervene? Did it help?
Do you fear this happening again, and have you prepared anything which you can tell yourself 'oh, I'm going here again, it's not real'?

I have an old friend who's been sectioned a few times, his thought process sounds similar to yours, except he believes that he can hear the voice of the earth and various philosophers, some degree of thought reading involved too. Naturally he got put away for planning eco terrorism and being wildly erratic when confronted, but he's been away quite a few times. All very short, as he didn't actually get to the point of doing a crime.

He's not better, he's not taking meds, every 6 months he has another episode which lasts a month or so, mostly he sails through them without much incident but i can tell when he's on the threshold of one before it really kicks in from his shift in Facebook posting style. It sucks and I wish he would get real help.

Glad you're taking recovery seriously and close to the other side!

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

cubicle gangster posted:

Did you have anyone who caught you early and tried to help/intervene? Did it help?
Do you fear this happening again, and have you prepared anything which you can tell yourself 'oh, I'm going here again, it's not real'?

I have an old friend who's been sectioned a few times, his thought process sounds similar to yours, except he believes that he can hear the voice of the earth and various philosophers, some degree of thought reading involved too. Naturally he got put away for planning eco terrorism and being wildly erratic when confronted, but he's been away quite a few times. All very short, as he didn't actually get to the point of doing a crime.

He's not better, he's not taking meds, every 6 months he has another episode which lasts a month or so, mostly he sails through them without much incident but i can tell when he's on the threshold of one before it really kicks in from his shift in Facebook posting style. It sucks and I wish he would get real help.

Glad you're taking recovery seriously and close to the other side!

My psychosis was really pervasive and intellectual, I hid it from others and I was high functioning otherwise. I simply did not remember all the specific things that made my delusions impossible and I instead rationalized how they were true. I consider myself lucky because there was no tipping point other than me remembering my path through highschool AP psychology and why we are so skeptical of these things.

I wish it was easier for us to achieve insight into our delusions when they form - and to answer your question I always fear that over time (many years) that it might happen again if I start forgetting why things are the way they are - unfortunately illnesses can block our realization that we are delusional. But for the time being and considering how things have been going -- I consider relapse impossible. I also personally believe that medication doesn't really solve our delusions and there is a great need for some sort of insight therapy but delusions can be so entrenched that it can be nearly impossible for insight to form.

Passive Aggreeable fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 15, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

What's the beatoff situation like, do you have a private room where you can spank it or are you always on camera or what

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

What's the beatoff situation like, do you have a private room where you can spank it or are you always on camera or what

it's not against the rules and the handbook of the Max security campus specifically states you won't get in trouble for it if you reasonably think that you had some sort of privacy.

Cameras are only in the hallways/outside the buildings and I guess the best place is in the shower as they have curtains.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

what do you do all day? do they make you work? what entertainment is allowed? (other than beating off, which has already been answered)

e: oh, i missed the post earlier where you said you have a laptop for games, and exercise equipment, guess that partially answers it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYOjWnS4cMY