Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Flowers for QAnon posted:

* Note this is how I’m interpreting the posts. I make no claim to having objective knowledge of the situation

Passive Aggreeable posted:

basically I think you're willfully dense and you're overlooking the context of what I wrote.

I'm pretty sure it's this.

No one else believes anything you are saying. It's like you're trying to be a detective and find anything wrong with his story.

Just stfu please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

The concern trolls rear their ugly heads again.

Vote 1 move on Jesus. Not every post has to be approved by the HOA.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."
For a few months, while I was in jail, I believed in the diagnosis, as soon as I was able to do some substantial research to jog my memory about what schizophrenia was I became more and more with the idea that I was probably misdiagnosed and the insight that formed moreso points to the idea that I had psychosis from other causes.

Schizophrenia is potentially often misdiagnosed: https://www.hcplive.com/view/patients-misdiagnosed-schizophrenia

quote:

A retroactive analysis of patients referred to a psychiatry consultation clinic with an initial schizophrenia diagnosis found that about half of all such diagnoses were inaccurate upon further review.
But early diagnosis of whatever can get the ball rolling when it comes to treatment.

I was going to minor in psychology so I am a bit embarrassed at myself for forgetting so many details, from what I can tell, diagnosis is difficult and based on my experience with the doctors who seem to emphasize getting through as many patients as possible its understandable to be dissatisfied. Like I said earlier, my previous psychiatrist told me that the only reason the diagnosis stands is because there was a run in with the police more than 6 months apart, so the DSM says symptoms that persist longer than 6 months apart is sufficient for a schizophrenia diagnosis.

This is OP minimizing the harm he he’s done (and a bonus of saying how he was actually beaten up worse before)

I thought about it, I am guessing you're like thinking that I am saying its not so bad because hey look karma, I was actually initially afraid it was going to be taken that way but that isn't that bad in itself because it is another crime to objectively contrast to, in this case I was told that I couldn't even press charges until I got out.

Passive Aggreeable fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 22, 2023

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

So one takeaway is that you might have a lot of your medical history washed out as a new doctor tries to integrate your criminal history into a diagnosis, a lot of time was wasted on a MRI and a sleep study (I never fell asleep) and doctors visits to diagnose me with narcolepsy due to my excessive daytime sleepiness or ADHD. That's all been superseded by this new diagnosis.

How many people are actively or outwardly psychotic? (Where they might have yelling outbursts or constantly talk to themselves) At the MSUs, probably one to two in twenty, here in the less restrictive, since I can't see what other people on unit restriction are like, I'd say two to three per facility. Being psychotic isn't against any rule and doesn't make them dangerous per se. In the MSUs you have more people who get fed up and try to check someone who is being psychotic though.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

So one takeaway is that you might have a lot of your medical history washed out as a new doctor tries to integrate your criminal history into a diagnosis, a lot of time was wasted on a MRI and a sleep study (I never fell asleep) and doctors visits to diagnose me with narcolepsy due to my excessive daytime sleepiness or ADHD. That's all been superseded by this new diagnosis.

How many people are actively or outwardly psychotic? (Where they might have yelling outbursts or constantly talk to themselves) At the MSUs, probably one to two in twenty, here in the less restrictive, since I can't see what other people on unit restriction are like, I'd say two to three per facility. Being psychotic isn't against any rule and doesn't make them dangerous per se. In the MSUs you have more people who get fed up and try to check someone who is being psychotic though.

Nah, the posters make a decent point. What caused you to beat your Aunt and Uncle? Regardless of how "minor" their injuries may have been? And, I'd disagree that being psychotic doesn't make them dangerous? I mean, you were obviously dangerous to the people in your circle? You may have mentioned, but why did you do that? Props to you for being apologetic about it, I guess, but you still did it. Why?

Thanks for your opinion, so I should be like this doctor talked to me for 20 minutes about something else (anxiety) and totally didn't bro up with another doctor and prescribe me the medication I didn't need, what signs are you following other then tried and true safe methods to basically like offer nothing to say while being passive aggressive. And, How are medicines evaluated, what criteria?
if you don't understand the concept of 'serious bodily harm' let me google that for you:
basically I think you're willfully dense and you're overlooking the context of what I wrote.

Okay, maybe you didn't do serious bodily harm. But, you did bodily harm. That's not a neurotypical sort of thing, most of the time.

Again, you may have mentioned, but what is your own self-diagnosis?

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 23, 2023

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

blight rhino posted:

You may have mentioned, but why did you do that? Props to you for being apologetic about it, I guess, but you still did it. Why?

I'm not sure you understand what psychosis is.

The reason why whoever did whatever will probably not make any logical sense. It's literally because they were psychotic.

quote:

psy·cho·sis sīˈkōsəs
noun psychosis plural noun psychoses
a severe mental condition in which thought and emotions are so affected that contact is lost with external reality.

I'm sure it made sense at the time for him, but not to us.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

blight rhino posted:

Nah, the posters make a decent point. What caused you to beat your Aunt and Uncle? Regardless of how "minor" their injuries may have been? And, I'd disagree that being psychotic doesn't make them dangerous? I mean, you were obviously dangerous to the people in your circle? You may have mentioned, but why did you do that? Props to you for being apologetic about it, I guess, but you still did it. Why?

Okay, maybe you didn't do serious bodily harm. But, you did bodily harm. That's not a neurotypical sort of thing, most of the time.

Again, you may have mentioned, but what is your own self-diagnosis?

So into this delusional ecosystem: I believed in telepathy and I attributed a thought-blocking instance, where I was unable to think for like ten seconds or so, as coming from them. From my past thoughts concerning telepathy and problems where people become rooted into the psyche where they cause these types of things, I believed some sort of intervention must take place to designate paired thoughts from personal experience. So like if you hit someone at the right time you'd basically break this bond between joined thoughts and them so your brain can isolate the physical them from your thoughts of them. That wasn't exactly my intention and I went to confront my aunt and I punched her as soon as she walked into punching range, kind of surreal, I delusionally thought at the time that attacking my uncle would 'keep them together'.

I really don't know enough about psychosis to diagnose myself but I'd give an OCD diagnosis due to how often and how pervasively I thought about telepathy, and possibly a post TBI psychosis diagnosis. I am still trying to get a doctor to look at my mris from 2016, where in the report there wasn't any mentioning of this rather large missing piece of brain in my prefrontal cortex that I found when I looked.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm not sure you understand what psychosis is.

The reason why whoever did whatever will probably not make any logical sense. It's literally because they were psychotic.

I'm sure it made sense at the time for him, but not to us.

It really only sort of made sense. I am still having a difficult time rationalizing what has to go in order for one to become psychotic or delusional when they were otherwise or rather before-hand healthy. My psychiatrist suggested it could be from coming off ADHD medications. I am thinking it took years for me to become the way I did.

I took a pretty thorough intake interview where I was able to voice some of my opinions and that would get submitted to court, it will be a month or so until my first quarterly treatment team meeting.

I had a hard time with this term psychosis since I was acting rationally, but under a false belief system, and I would readily say that I was delusional, I termed it with my interviewer that I simply had thoughts that were detached from reality enough to be in the realm of psychosis. I believe there was an additional element beyond my delusional beliefs that colored my thoughts to be psychotic in addition to just being delusional and wrong.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

A couple of points after shotgunning the thread.

I had an awful withdrawal that felt like my brain was burning after I switched meds (I saw my pcp) and I did some research. I'd like to second the sentiment that doctors are basically sold drugs based on their effectiveness in studies at relieving symptoms.

While the pharmaceutical industry is sketchy as poo poo: Paramedics are expected to know for every drug they carry -
1) How the body actually processes the drug - i.e. epinephrine is a naturally produced chemical that activates the sympathetic nervous system(fight or flight response). It activates heavily on beta receptors and also some alpha receptor effect.

2) The specific effects on the body that drug causes, including side effects and actively harmful effects - to continue using epi as an example: The strong beta effects include increasing heart rate, the strength of contractions, and the permeability of the heart(better electrical conduction). Because the heart is beating faster and stronger it also has increased oxygen needs. Similarly the increased cardiac output pushes more blood through the veins increasing blood pressure. It also has a constructive effect on your blood vessels, which again raises blood pressure because same volume in a smaller pipe.

3) Contraindications - signs that typically indicate you shouldn't give a drug. I.e. you don't give nitroglycerin to patients on erectile dysfunction meds because those two medications will team up and the patients blood pressure will plummet rather than merely drop. Nor do you give it to people that are hypotensive because it still lowers blood pressure on its own and why would you push them further into shock?

4) doses it's used for including the amount of drug, what concentration of mixture you give it in, how you put the drug into their body, how often you can redose if applicable, what is the maximum dose if applicable, does the dose change with subsequent doses and so on.

Now, to get to my point: I am not a doctor. But. if I have to know all of that poo poo about every drug on my unit, I find it it highly unlikely that doctors who have even more schooling than me, and whose jobs are pretty much entirely diagnosis and treatment, do not have an even higher burden of knowledge on the drugs they prescribe. They're still people and capable of being idiots, but the vast, vast majority of them aren't just prescribing meds because Eli Lilly sent them a flier saying it will fix this issue.

I've also had a seizure without explanation, convulsions and everything while I remained conscious which is something I haven't read about.

Sounds like what is called a pseudo seizure. It's a psychiatric event that mimics seizure convulsions.

In a true full body seizure your brain gets a surge of electrical activity throughout itself either from the barrier to trigger activation dropping or just a really big spike in electrical activity overcoming it. The person having the seizure is physiologically incapable of remembering the attack because their brain is basically short circuiting. They're also usually not mentally together even after it stops for a bit because full body convulsions also includes things like the diaphragm so the seizure patient isn't actually breathing while that's going on. Tldr: if you remember having full body convulsions and were awake through the episode it wasn't a seizure.

In a pseudo seizure what's going on is closer to a medically diagnosed anxiety attack where some kind of mental stressor causes you to lose control over your body. It just manifests with convulsions instead of things like extreme hyperventilation.

well I personally thought people would ask about other people so YMMV because of what I initially thought the looney bin would be about

she was conscious when she stumbled backwards, he was briefly unconscious

thanks for chiming in with the obvious captain sherlock I am sure you are an expert in texas code, you can literally stab someone and have it not be a 'serious bodily injury'

I had nothing to do but read hundreds of appellate court rulings in jail, and I was offered probation. Two counts with the same elements is very meh.

A head injury, especially one with broken bones is potentially life threatening. Your brain is up there and even if no skin is broken you can still damage it by smacking it against the skull. And going unconscious from head trauma is also a big deal and anyone that experiences that should get a CT scan to rule out a brain bleed. Toss in the fact that the skull is a fixed size so any damage that causes it to swell or leak will also increase interracial pressure which can result in the brain getting squeezed out of its spot in the skull or just pinching the vessels supplying it with blood shut.

So yeah, you hosed them up in a potentially life threatening way that is well above and beyond a knife wound to an extremity that just needs bleeding control and stitches. You're poo poo talking a law that by your description seems pretty aligned with medically sane.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

It’s actually quite concerning and I agree he should show this thread to his doctors/therapists

Post goatse first.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

FoolyCharged posted:

Now, to get to my point: I am not a doctor. But. if I have to know all of that poo poo about every drug on my unit, I find it it highly unlikely that doctors who have even more schooling than me, and whose jobs are pretty much entirely diagnosis and treatment, do not have an even higher burden of knowledge on the drugs they prescribe. They're still people and capable of being idiots, but the vast, vast majority of them aren't just prescribing meds because Eli Lilly sent them a flier saying it will fix this issue.

lol of course they are, tons of SSRIs haven't even been shown to be effective but they are prescribed anyway because it does "something."

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Are patients explicitly given desired outcomes for what the period in the hospital is meant to achieve (e.g. reintegration into society)?

If so, what are some examples of different outcomes? How do these vary by diagnosis[/criminal history]?

What are the recividism rates like? (Not sure if that’s the exact right word in a hospital/health context.)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Private Cumshoe posted:

lol of course they are, tons of SSRIs haven't even been shown to be effective but they are prescribed anyway because it does "something."

OP isn't being treated with an SSRI.

Regardless, SSRIs have been proven to be effective but there's been a general re-think and re-examination of their success rate and the percentage of people who benefit is a lot smaller than previously thought - in combination with research suggesting that other treatments may be more effective. They aren't quack science, they just aren't that great.

A doctor is likely still going to prescribe an SSRI before other treatments because they have the most case studies and the side effects are very well known at this point. Side effects are a thing and practitioners are going to be conservative with anything they aren't sure of. By all means dunk on pharmaceutical companies but doctors don't deserve punishment for our capitalist hell.

It's a p bad idea to go around telling folks in E/N not to take their medicine.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 23, 2023

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

A couple of points after shotgunning the thread.

I don't want to poo poo what you said but don't doctors regularly attend seminars about how certain medications should be used for certain patients?

FoolyCharged posted:

Sounds like what is called a pseudo seizure. It's a psychiatric event that mimics seizure convulsions.

In a true full body seizure your brain gets a surge of electrical activity throughout itself either from the barrier to trigger activation dropping or just a really big spike in electrical activity overcoming it. The person having the seizure is physiologically incapable of remembering the attack because their brain is basically short circuiting. They're also usually not mentally together even after it stops for a bit because full body convulsions also includes things like the diaphragm so the seizure patient isn't actually breathing while that's going on. Tldr: if you remember having full body convulsions and were awake through the episode it wasn't a seizure.

In a pseudo seizure what's going on is closer to a medically diagnosed anxiety attack where some kind of mental stressor causes you to lose control over your body. It just manifests with convulsions instead of things like extreme hyperventilation.

Thanks, I haven't heard of this before. That clears things up for me.

FoolyCharged posted:

A head injury, especially one with broken bones is potentially life threatening. Your brain is up there and even if no skin is broken you can still damage it by smacking it against the skull. And going unconscious from head trauma is also a big deal and anyone that experiences that should get a CT scan to rule out a brain bleed. Toss in the fact that the skull is a fixed size so any damage that causes it to swell or leak will also increase interracial pressure which can result in the brain getting squeezed out of its spot in the skull or just pinching the vessels supplying it with blood shut.

So yeah, you hosed them up in a potentially life threatening way that is well above and beyond a knife wound to an extremity that just needs bleeding control and stitches. You're poo poo talking a law that by your description seems pretty aligned with medically sane.

Paramedics and doctors typically testify based on their arbitrary idea of what constitutes 'serious bodily injury', a broken nose is a 'serious bodily injury'
I tried to find some rulings in TX but like I said, the deadly weapon element usually is enough to bring the charge to aggravated assault. I still can't find a ruling about LOC in itself.

quote:

As a result of appellant's assault, the victim suffered a concussion to the brain, bruising, and temporary loss of consciousness. Furthermore, in the hours after the assault, the victim suffered from nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and considerable pain in several parts of her body. There was also evidence presented at trial from a paramedic, a nurse, and two police officers that a closed fist striking a person's head, or a foot striking a person's back or chest, could cause serious physical injury. After due consideration and taking into account all of the specific acts and injuries, we find that the evidence presented at appellant's trial was sufficient to persuade a rational trier of fact beyond a reasonable doubt that appellant used both his hand and his foot as "deadly weapons" within the meaning of that phrase as defined by the Penal Code.
https://law.justia.com/cases/texas/court-of-criminal-appeals/2004/pd-1122-03-6.html

Aren't SSRIS for anxiety disorders and depression -- Oh, yeah they are only effective in serious cases of depression, but they are prescribed anyway.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Halisnacks posted:

Are patients explicitly given desired outcomes for what the period in the hospital is meant to achieve (e.g. reintegration into society)?

If so, what are some examples of different outcomes? How do these vary by diagnosis[/criminal history]?

What are the recidivism rates like? (Not sure if that’s the exact right word in a hospital/health context.)

Recidivism is quite high, usually you get fast-tracked back into the hospital setting.

So what happens is that you stay indefinitely until you show that you are ready for your risk assessment. Your risk assessment is performed by either a forensic psychiatrist or psychologist and its their job to enumerate the different risks for violence or recidivism. So it depends on whether or not you're going to stay at a group home, whether or not you attend your scheduled programming, etc. The risk assessment is sent to the judge when the treatment team thinks you're ready to reintegrate into society. You are given a PCRP, Person Centered Recovery Plan, that details your individual objectives, barriers, and interventions (such as AA meetings) towards recovery.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Fruits of the sea posted:

It's a p bad idea to go around telling folks in E/N not to take their medicine.

I haven't and will not do that but I will continue to make fun of the useless SSRIs (not naming names here)

Antidepressants really hosed me up before I found antipsychotics because I was treated by a lovely corrupt doctor at a research university hospital who has a poo poo ton of scandals behind him

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Private Cumshoe posted:

I haven't and will not do that but I will continue to make fun of the useless SSRIs (not naming names here)

Antidepressants really hosed me up before I found antipsychotics because I was treated by a lovely corrupt doctor at a research university hospital who has a poo poo ton of scandals behind him

Not everyone is you, however.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
neat

lucky for them

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Hell Gem

Private Cumshoe posted:

neat

lucky for them

I’m u

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Stabby mcstab-stab over here at the line for the canteen told me that his mp3 player told him to commit a massacre. Collin then comes up to him and asks "a what", "when you kill a room full of people", "oh, well do you have a gun." "you cant do it unless you have a gun." He then says no I won't do it yet, maybe later.

So I guess I'll go and tell someone and see if it makes him stay here longer laffo

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

FoolyCharged posted:

They're still people and capable of being idiots, but the vast, vast majority of them aren't just prescribing meds because Eli Lilly sent them a flier saying it will fix this issue.

What if Eli Lilly sent a beautiful woman to buy lunch for the office and flirt with the dr?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
a big beautiful woman? :btroll:

bbw only

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

I googled it and apparently, doctors prescribe more often (the advertised medication) when they are marketed to and receive money. "The financial interactions include payments for delivering promotional talks, consulting and receiving sponsored meals and travel."

https://www.propublica.org/article/doctors-prescribe-more-of-a-drug-if-they-receive-money-from-a-pharma-company-tied-to-it

"The effect of immediate network neighbor aripiprazoleBN promotion followed a similar pattern to the direct to physician effects: prescribing rates were 45% higher for physicians with four immediate network neighbors receiving aripiprazoleBN payments vs. physicians with no network neighbors receiving aripiprazoleBN payments, and the effect was diminishing (negative quadratic term)."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7288218/

Passive Aggreeable fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 29, 2023

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Anyone want to buy a painting by Andrea Yates?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPd7MK0Yn_M

A little update, I got moved out of the intake unit into a refractory unit, so my treatment team totally changed, I spoke to a doctor for my 6 month certificate of examination a few months back, some skepticism towards my diagnosis ensued and now I am waiting on a neurologist to see me before I go through some testing to hopefully achieve an accurate diagnosis. I have brought up potentially DID before but apparently, psychiatrists don't believe in it, the psuedoseizure I experienced points to some conversion-disorder comorbidity, the only other thing I can think of is Depersonalization-derealization disorder but I will just try to let the doctors figure things out.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

So has the last three months of your stay been enjoyable?

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

BigBadSteve posted:

So has the last three months of your stay been enjoyable?

Y'know its not so bad, people do complain about it because we are still 'locked up' but I have no real complaints other than the fact that it's hard to progress career wise, kind of a looming feeling wondering what I am going to do when I get out. The rehab staff mentioned to me that if you want to go back to school while you are here (remotely) you might be provided with a state laptop and state wifi.

The new unit has been enjoyable, six of us who were here left recently for a unit that just (re)opened up and someone that uses LMMS left with them, I had a few hours of fun listening and making lovely music myself, we are expecting to get new patients here soon.

One unit is on lockdown because a few of them tested positive for covid a week or two back. So canteen workers have to bring their orders in for them.

There is a gift shop where patients sell art that they have made and the doctors and staff will periodically buy pieces that they like. I haven't ever tried painting outside of an Ipad but someone offered to teach me some basics so its something I have to look forward to.

There is a new hospital being built in Austin with single man beds but it will replace the hospital that is already in town so I don't think they will move patients around.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Where did you fap?

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Why must we all ask
No one knows and no one tells
We take long showers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU