Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

DeChambeau and Koepka not very popular with the New York fans huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I’ve never heard open booing like that, amazing.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Furnaceface posted:

DeChambeau and Koepka not very popular with the New York fans huh?

NY fans don't like anyone. No I'm not biased as an upstate NYer, shut up.

One of my friends had VIP tickets today and already left because of the rain, I told her I was very disappointed that she wasn't there to contribute to the boos.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Loved that the first-tee announcer didn’t quiet the crowd either. That was some sweet prolonged booing.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

BonoMan posted:

turned a 3 inch par putt into a double

please don't doxx me

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 20, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just got home from brunch, it's 80F and sunny and hot af in DC, love to see these guys in miserable rain :getin:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Is it because of the rain or because of NY that the post-shot yells are obnoxious this weekend?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Played a scramble this morning half in miserable rain like this then in 65* and sunny. It looks like absolute hell at Oak Hill. I feel like I'd shoot 130 out there.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Anno posted:

Played a scramble this morning half in miserable rain like this then in 65* and sunny. It looks like absolute hell at Oak Hill. I feel like I'd shoot 130 out there.

They had a segment on the broadcast of players estimating what a 18 handicap player would shoot at this course with the current setup and all the players they showcased were saying like 120-150. I understand the sentiment but if you tell a bogey golfer to hit nothing but mid irons and wedges I feel like they'd be able to average a double bogey or better on every hole.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Suprfli6 posted:

They had a segment on the broadcast of players estimating what a 18 handicap player would shoot at this course with the current setup and all the players they showcased were saying like 120-150. I understand the sentiment but if you tell a bogey golfer to hit nothing but mid irons and wedges I feel like they'd be able to average a double bogey or better on every hole.
The thing about bogey golfers is that they are also bad at hitting mid irons and wedges.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Dango Bango posted:

Is it because of the rain or because of NY that the post-shot yells are obnoxious this weekend?

Yes.

If Rangers and Islanders fans have taught me anything its that New Yorkers love to boo and jeer and when they are miserable that grows exponentially. Probably helps that there are a couple LIV guys hanging around to focus that ire on.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Suprfli6 posted:

A bogey golfer would require approximately two extra strokes per hole at this course? I find that difficult to believe. I guess if the weather was garbage like it has been.....maybe?

Also....this has been a very entertaining PGA Championship so far. A crowded field of actual contenders and some fun side stories. And a look at the weather for tomorrow suggests that it's going to be 70 degrees and sunny for the final round tomorrow. I doubt it will be enough time to dry up the course.....but who knows. A badass course like this probably has a top notch drainage system.....so the course might even be dry tomorrow. Get out the industrial fans and give the kids all sponges and buckets.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I love the little ear piece walk-n-talks but what do the players think? Feel like it might be a bit distracting mental game wise.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Michael Block is a stone cold assassin and I’d love to see him play well tomorrow and finish in the top 5-10.

Furnaceface posted:

Yes.

If Rangers and Islanders fans have taught me anything its that New Yorkers love to boo and jeer and when they are miserable that grows exponentially. Probably helps that there are a couple LIV guys hanging around to focus that ire on.
This is real NY a.k.a. Sabres territory.

BonoMan posted:

I love the little ear piece walk-n-talks but what do the players think? Feel like it might be a bit distracting mental game wise.
They’ve had some top 5 players with the earpiece in the last few majors and I’m honestly surprised any of them agreed to it. Lots of these guys have been doing some YouTube and other influencer vlogs or videos but I would think for actual tournament play they would want to be completely dialed in to the round.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 20, 2023

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I’m watching a lot of this round muted — what the heck was the ruling for Conners on 16?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Aggro posted:

I’m watching a lot of this round muted — what the heck was the ruling for Conners on 16?

He was attempting to hit out of a bunker but actually just rocketed it right into the grass lip of the bunker. So it became an embedded ball situation.

He was allowed to drop one club length away from where the ball went in no closer to the hole.

Because of the weirdness of the angle of the bunker it took a bit to decide where he could drop it that wasn't closer to the hole.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Aggro posted:

His ball was plugged/embedded in turf which lets him take free relief, within one club length, no closer to the hole. The rules official determined that the only way for him to take that relief without being in the bunker was to the right.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

BonoMan posted:

He was attempting to hit out of a bunker but actually just rocketed it right into the grass lip of the bunker. So it became an embedded ball situation.

He was allowed to drop one club length away from where the ball went in no closer to the hole.

Thanks. Looked like they couldn’t figure out how to get 1 club closer without just putting it back in the bunker, which would’ve been the funniest outcome.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

BonoMan posted:

Did he straight blade that? That didn't look close to clearing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Aggro posted:

Thanks. Looked like they couldn’t figure out how to get 1 club closer without just putting it back in the bunker, which would’ve been the funniest outcome.

Ha yeah I edited that part into my post. That undulation definitely made things awkward.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

gvibes posted:

Did he straight blade that? That didn't look close to clearing.

Not sure since the only angle they had on it was pretty low res but yeah it wasn't even remotely close to clearing. He was confused as hell when he couldn't see it in the air!

Conners getting lucky though with Koepka missing a little and Hovland hitting some late game struggles.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

He must have caught that very thin considering how he wasn’t even close to clearing the lip. These guys know what their typical launch angles are and what they’re capable of doing in a bunker and he would have dialed back a few clubs if he thought that lip was in play.

I’d love to see Hovland make it interesting tomorrow but I think Brooksie hangs on with like a ho-hum 68 and wins it.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 21, 2023

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Brooks has had the Sunday yips for a few majors now, will be interesting to see if he can hold on

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Third round update

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

I dunno, I bet that same 18 has a round where they haven’t broken 100 in recent memory, and that’s on a 6200 yard muni, not tipped out to a cool 7400 yards in brutal conditions

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm an okay golfer (high single digit handicap) and I'm almost positive I'd shoot triple digits there. I don't think some of you realize how brutal that rough would be to hit out of.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I cant remember any of these recent contests where the pick winner might end up over par, lol

What a dope rear end major

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Kirios posted:

I'm an okay golfer (high single digit handicap) and I'm almost positive I'd shoot triple digits there. I don't think some of you realize how brutal that rough would be to hit out of.

Yeah the rough looks nightmarish, especially in the rain

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I hope Block has a good round tomorrow and gets in the top 10. Dudes biggest paycheck from a golf tourney was 75k and anything in the top 10 is gonna be 6 figures. Top 10 also gets him in next years Championship and tie 4 or better gets him into the Masters. He’s playing with Rory today, hope he just keeps his head down and does his thing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Leaders teeing off now.

Cam Smith currently leading the pool. He was the other person I was thinking of picking since he made the playoff with DJ last week and has had more consistent results on LIV this year. :negative:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Koepka: plants approach on #2 to a few feet

Hovland: hold my beer

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Koepka has mentioned that he might not have gone to LIV if he hadn't been injured. So now LIV is going to have a major winner and legitimacy because of Koepka's knees.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Eh I don't think this changes anything fundamental about LIV. People want to watch Brooks play super tough major courses, not Pumpkin Ridge or whatever with a bunch of Paul Casey's.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Pumpkin Ridge is my local course I feel personally attacked by your accusations

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'd love to play Pumpkin Ridge! idk that I want to watch pros play it.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Pumpkin ridge was the biggest mud puddle course ive ever played when i played it a couple Novembers ago. Still super fun and worth it.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

That bunker shot by Brooks was incredible. Getting that straight up in the air and advancing it as far as he did is crazy.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

That bunker shot by Brooks was incredible. Getting that straight up in the air and advancing it as far as he did is crazy.

The boo chants have now become Broo chants.

One day the Canadian golfers will not completely collapse on Sunday and actually stay in contention. Probably not in my lifetime but one day...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Probably wouldn’t have mattered but Rory really needed to make that birdie putt after getting the line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

loving slam duck ace for Michael Block, omg