Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

deep dish peat moss posted:

One thing I noticed is that the usual timeframe for withdrawl is 3 weeks but I took 1 adderall after 2 weeks (1/2 my daily dose) and it completely reset the clock on that, it took a full 3 weeks from then to get over the actual physical withdrawal symptoms.

But once I got over them I realized how hosed up being on adderall made my mental health, it made me paranoid and aggressive and distrusting of people (I think just because I was like, hypervigilant and noticed all of their actions and overthought it), so now I feel like I'm way better off even though I can't focus on things well anymore

Ya i feel that. Therapy helped me work through a ton of that. Amphetamines def do not help with the stuff. Once i got used to it, i stopped feeling that way, though.

But to reiterate your first point, gently caress withdrawal. It's why I stopped taking them. I couldn't handle the ups and downs anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Spaghett posted:

Therapy helped me work through a ton of that.

Therapy is good poo poo and everyone should do it.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

bought a treadmill and started jogging. upped my time from 5 minutes a day to 20 minutes a day over the course of 6 weeks. cut back on soda and sweets. i already feel less bloated and gross than i did two months ago.

took in a stray dumpster cat. got him his shots and neutered and hes the sweetest orangey boy ever. he even gets along with my other cat.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Getting off SSRI's. Turns out working out, building up a social life and spending time on general self-improvement are a better stabilizer for my brain. Definitely don't miss the general apathy and numbness that the pills gave me.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I've started getting really loose with my working hours. If it's raining this weekend but nice on Thursday? I go mountain biking Thursday and work at the weekend. I have energy at 3-5pm, that's when I go to the gym, and I get back to work at 8-10pm.

It's a bit to keep track of but the key thing is that I'm always putting what I want to do first. It's very nice, I was suffocating under trying to manage things I wanted to do in the only hours of free time I had.

Asobu
Sep 16, 2007

My guitar is in my BUTT!
Soiled Meat

Harry_Potato posted:

I bought an electric car!

I bought a gas powered sports car! Suck it, earth

2023 Subaru BRZ 🤗

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I stopped taking life advice from Chinatown, turns out drinking butt water from public toilets is bad for you.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Not reading this thread.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
In general, letting myself buy higher-quality stuff, even if it means spending more than the absolute minimum that I could. Quilted Northern has been a real game-changer.

pencilhands posted:

For me it was getting a cat. I was initially reluctant to and now I can't believe I was ever without a pet.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

• Got a cat

I love my cats!

MrQwerty posted:

tbh it was rescuing a feral kitten from the streets of the hood outside my apartment in October, she's been a fun addition to the family

TK8325 posted:

took in a stray dumpster cat. got him his shots and neutered and hes the sweetest orangey boy ever. he even gets along with my other cat.

It would improve my quality of life if you all posted pictures of your kitties :3:

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Deuteronomy getting high on passion fruit and catnip:

Jupiter looking pretty next some drying marigolds:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I also massively cut down my drinking lately.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i bought 100 gecs new album on cd for my car

feels like the good ol days of 9/11

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i started climbing and quit drinking (for the most part) 8 months ago and this is the best i've ever felt in my life, easily. good mood, feeling fit, etc.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i also quit my job yesterday after being here like 2 months and i'm already feeling better

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I’m buying a dog. She was born last week :3:

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
My new favorite thread:)
I haven't done anything good but you all are inspiring

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Getting a CPAP machine.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
I've lost 60 lbs in the last year. I got off twitter, slowed my cannabis consumption, and I've been reading more books. I feel much better, look much better, and without the anxiety/despair about my weight I'm nicer to people too.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

elmer chud posted:

My new favorite thread:)

I hate it, this stupid positivity sears my brain

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i also quit my job yesterday after being here like 2 months and i'm already feeling better

Good for you buddy!

stephen_falken
Mar 28, 2023

by the sex ghost
I have recently begun using my psychic powers to see Obama's face in toast.
I don't know why I waited so long to make this life hack a game changer.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I didn't quit my job, but I got out of the position that required me to do as much as 30 hours of unpaid overtime and left me locked in a converted warehouse with no windows for as much as 13 hours a day and moved into a position where the students are kind, I can see the sun and spend time in a garden, and I have time in the middle of the day to go to a gym. I have had time for therapy and no longer want to shoot myself!

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I've decided to lean into hate. It's just easier to hate then to love.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I tell the people in my life I am doing monthly therapy but really I just gently caress off for an hour a month and go do something for myself. Last month I went to the zoo (kind of a bummer tbh, some animals seem content enough I guess)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Saalkin posted:

but doing the easy thing makes you WEAK

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Good for you buddy!

thanks bro

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

quitting drinking and finding a hobby to get absolutely absorbed into has drastically improved my life.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Dismantled my desk and home PC to spend less of my free time staring at the monitor. I still have phone and laptop, but both are way less comfortable for a prolonged use. Overall this means doing more stuff around house, and finally started reading books again. Drastic, maybe, but for now it works.

Started going to gym. One of the perks at work is partial refund for the gym subscription, so decided to try this. I'm trying to come there as often as possible, before work, and exercise for 30-45 minutes. I don't have much hope for losing weight right now and in the nearest future, but I'm slowly working on building my strength and endurance after years of doing Absolutely Nothing While Depressed and Tired.

Worked a habit of checking food labels and ingredients, immediately putting back everything with too much sugar, wheat flour, any amount of palm oil. Sometimes I need to fight the cravings for garbage food, still.

Dumped twitter and discord servers, I'm still in touch with folks and talking/meeting with them, but finally I lost the habit of opening the discord every 10-15 minutes to check for new posts. I'm also limiting the amount of bookmarks I have in the Awful app.

Finally, and this might come off as corny and preachy, but I understood that I might be half-way done with my life, and the second half will be accompanied with a lot of setbacks and ailments, and for me this means finally getting my life in order. Planning my budget ahead of the payday, paying off debts, giving away/selling stuff I haven't been using for a year or longer. Stopped lying to people and myself, but also no more being a total loser and a buzzkill.

There is still a lot of to do and to work on, like my horrible memory and attention span, and there are days when I don't feel like doing anything, but I finally feel like I have chance at finally having things in control, and not feeling like poo poo on a wheel.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

laserghost posted:

Dismantled my desk and home PC to spend less of my free time staring at the monitor. I still have phone and laptop, but both are way less comfortable for a prolonged use. Overall this means doing more stuff around house, and finally started reading books again. Drastic, maybe, but for now it works.

Started going to gym. One of the perks at work is partial refund for the gym subscription, so decided to try this. I'm trying to come there as often as possible, before work, and exercise for 30-45 minutes. I don't have much hope for losing weight right now and in the nearest future, but I'm slowly working on building my strength and endurance after years of doing Absolutely Nothing While Depressed and Tired.

Worked a habit of checking food labels and ingredients, immediately putting back everything with too much sugar, wheat flour, any amount of palm oil. Sometimes I need to fight the cravings for garbage food, still.

Dumped twitter and discord servers, I'm still in touch with folks and talking/meeting with them, but finally I lost the habit of opening the discord every 10-15 minutes to check for new posts. I'm also limiting the amount of bookmarks I have in the Awful app.

Finally, and this might come off as corny and preachy, but I understood that I might be half-way done with my life, and the second half will be accompanied with a lot of setbacks and ailments, and for me this means finally getting my life in order. Planning my budget ahead of the payday, paying off debts, giving away/selling stuff I haven't been using for a year or longer. Stopped lying to people and myself, but also no more being a total loser and a buzzkill.

There is still a lot of to do and to work on, like my horrible memory and attention span, and there are days when I don't feel like doing anything, but I finally feel like I have chance at finally having things in control, and not feeling like poo poo on a wheel.

Enjoy the 3 months at best of this actually working

2014 reg date so youre not young either.

Wee fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 16, 2023

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Saalkin posted:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Within the last year, but I've been staying on my parents' farm and they adopted a litter of kittens because our old cats are all around 17 and retired. It has been nothing but wonderful! All the old cats love them and after losing his sister last year, old man Peeps is running around like a kitten again. Our herding dogs see the kittens as their flock and are extremely happy to have full-time jobs. Now that it's spring, they're catching mice and voles daily.

Plus it feels great to have gotten a bunch of sick kittens and nursed them into beautiful, healthy, happy cats. I've posted these pics a lot on these forums, but I'll always be so proud of how Wolfgang shaped up:

to

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Wee posted:

Enjoy the 3 months at best of this actually working

2014 reg date so youre not young either.

gently caress you bitch. dont drag people down with your misery greg

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

but doing the easy thing makes you WEAK

I've been doing the harder thing forever and it's been poo poo. I need a break!

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
A good lesson is if you're angry at your job and work, just being openly genuinely angry at work is the best decision you can make.

You're either going to get fired which is what you really want but are too scared to make the change, or HR is going to try and give you leave and/or take work off your hands.

If youre not in the fired category, you are stuck in the same poo poo job but doing basically nothing all day.

Enjoy.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I have a brother who is a perpetual drag on me and has been toxic in the past. We were comfortably disassociated with each other for years but in the last few years his marriage blew up and I found myself having to manage his life for him. I got him an apartment and co-signed the lease because his ex had destroyed his credit, and the first thing he did was bring a new trashbag girlfriend in on a one-way flight to live with him off-lease. So as a co-signer I was on the hook for the rent if his landlord decided to kick him to the curb for violating the lease agreement. Then I spent 18 months driving him to/from his arranged drop-off/pick-up of his kid for shared custody because he never got a driver's license and couldn't afford a car. Eventually I demanded he get a driver's license and he acted like I was trying to betray him. I've always been the responsible one in my family and our mother immediately takes his side to imply that I am obligated to do these things for him in perpetuity.

I recently made the decision that I cannot and will not manage or live his life for him and that it's fine if I put distance between him and I. His rent is getting hiked past his ability to afford the place in August so he needs to find a new apartment further from the city, and I am not helping. I'm not going to move him, and I'm not going to continue to lend a car to him (now that he finally got a license) to arrange custody drop-off/pick-up. He's 18 months older than I am and it's time he gets his poo poo figured out.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's been a couple years now maybe so not that recent but not drinking alcohol is by far the best decision i made in decades, if only in terms of not feeling like death most of the time. i also lost 20 pounds not doing anything else

more recently i've begun weightlifting and muscles that were previously detectable only through incredibly sensitive quantum wave interferometry instruments can now be seen with the naked eye and to my everlasting shame i do occasionally flex in front of the mirror now. i'm also making progress on un-loving my Professor Farnsworth-style posture so on the off chance we all live another few decades hopefully I'll be minimally mobile and not in constant discomfort

this isn't as recent but getting proficient at a musical instrument is very rewarding for many different reasons

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mozi posted:

it's been a couple years now maybe so not that recent but not drinking alcohol is by far the best decision i made in decades, if only in terms of not feeling like death most of the time. i also lost 20 pounds not doing anything else

more recently i've begun weightlifting and muscles that were previously detectable only through incredibly sensitive quantum wave interferometry instruments can now be seen with the naked eye and to my everlasting shame i do occasionally flex in front of the mirror now. i'm also making progress on un-loving my Professor Farnsworth-style posture so on the off chance we all live another few decades hopefully I'll be minimally mobile and not in constant discomfort

this isn't as recent but getting proficient at a musical instrument is very rewarding for many different reasons

flexing in the mirror after starting to notice your muscles for the first time ftw

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

TK8325 posted:

Deuteronomy getting high on passion fruit and catnip:

Jupiter looking pretty next some drying marigolds:

My quality of life has officially improved :toot:

Saalkin posted:

This seeeeems like a bit of an exaggeration, but my quality of life did improve significantly once I learned the concept of toxic positivity, realized that openly disliking things didn't automatically make me a huge bitch, and stopped beating myself up over having negative emotions.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Started meditation and stuff.

Left my boyfriend bc he wouldn't get mental help and stop doing things like driving home after drinking.

I'm still really sad.

But things are better than they've been.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Getting an cheap air purifier. I never believed they did anything but my family has been killed by allergies this summer. Even leaving it on the first night it really helped our sleep.

Unsubscribing from the America mass shooting thread. It was doing a real number on my mood especially as the mass shootings became a daily thing.

Getting one of those nice utility wagons. It has alot of utility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

YeahTubaMike posted:

My quality of life has officially improved :toot:

This seeeeems like a bit of an exaggeration, but my quality of life did improve significantly once I learned the concept of toxic positivity, realized that openly disliking things didn't automatically make me a huge bitch, and stopped beating myself up over having negative emotions.

This is really important. Being angry is extremely fine.

But how you deal with that, because you cant just push it aside or CBT it into the aether....