Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Quit drinking entirely for a month, resumed at no more than one drink every other day. Doing fine. Learned the difference between "a cider would taste great" and "I am upset and I NEED a drink." If it's a nagging need that keeps coming to mind, that means it is absolutely positively the wrong time to satisfy that need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wee posted:

This is really important. Being angry is extremely fine.

But how you deal with that, because you cant just push it aside or CBT it into the aether....

Being angry is my main problem (you know, besides the harder to deal with stuff that causes that anger in the first place)

Got any tips on how to manage it? My current strategy of "push it down till a tiny inconvenience causes me to lose it" is poo poo and doesn't work.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Have you tried smoking weed about it

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Quit drinking entirely for a month, resumed at no more than one drink every other day. Doing fine. Learned the difference between "a cider would taste great" and "I am upset and I NEED a drink." If it's a nagging need that keeps coming to mind, that means it is absolutely positively the wrong time to satisfy that need.

I quit drinking for like 8 years and came back stronger than every.

Coming up to 10 years of drinking since and think I should stop again.

Ive stopped for a month, or 3 months or a week in that time.

Its really only on or off.

If you are or were a problem drinker there is unfortunately no half way.

Wee fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 16, 2023

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Konar posted:

Got any tips on how to manage it? My current strategy of "push it down till a tiny inconvenience causes me to lose it" is poo poo and doesn't work.

No, I dont.

Most of what your'e angry about probably doesn't deserve your energy, so stop giving it your anger. Step back, they dont deserve you. Look at it that way.

Being zen is real try that.

I dunno, I find being angry as a tool works, but as a body its a toxin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3JSbOt7CLo

Chalk it up to an overdeveloped sense of unbridled vengeance. Somebody fed me too much New Hope for breakfast...

Wee fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 16, 2023

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Moustache

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I drank what I thought was a reasonable amount until my wife said "you're starting to remind me of my [extremely alcoholic] dad" and that was enough for me to nope out of drinking more than once a month. I didn't have withdrawals or anything so I am sure I wasn't actually alcoholic but I don't want to be anything like Gary.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Icochet posted:

Moustache

oh yeah this too

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Wee posted:

No, I dont.

Most of what your'e angry about probably doesn't deserve your energy, so stop giving it your anger. Step back, they dont deserve you. Look at it that way.

Being zen is real try that.

I dunno, I find being angry as a tool works, but as a body its a toxin.

The last thing is true and important, and was actually what made me decide to start changing. I hate(d) myself, and was really, really angry about my life so far. Anger gave me the much-needed push towards the change, and now it's a fight against my old self and lovely. self-destructive habits. I have actually made an E/N thread about it some time ago, and the goons there helped me set some waypoints for my thoughts. And I've had weeks of relapse into eating unhealthy poo poo and not exercising. But now I know those days don't matter, because today I woke up at 7am, went to the gym and started hitting the cardio machines until my legs felt soft, then came to the office and started doing poo poo I'm paid to do and people ask me to, because I am needed here.

Doing and loving up is good. Being angry and motivated is good. Moving forward is what is important. I don't like where I am right now, I gotta move from there, so better bust my rear end and start doing it, because there's no way around it and there are no shortcuts.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

laserghost posted:

Doing and loving up is good. Being angry and motivated is good. Moving forward is what is important. I don't like where I am right now, I gotta move from there, so better bust my rear end and start doing it, because there's no way around it and there are no shortcuts.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Got divorced

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I started using a cream to shave my pubes and a good razor instead of totally dry with a disposable bic and my scrote is almost free of scabs now.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

kntfkr posted:

my scrote is almost free of scabs now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live?R74zOZIejKY

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Got a Ninja Foodi grill/air fryer. This thing is dope if you like to cook. Kitchen game changer, I use it for almost everything now.

Today I went to the dentist and got my teeth cleaned for the first time in like 6 years and thankfully my chompers are still in decent shape. I made a promise to myself to start going regularly.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Serious_Cyclone posted:

He's 18 months older than I am and it's time he gets his poo poo figured out.

Jfc would have expected like 10 years younger accident failson not older brother. Good work getting out from that, sounds crazy toxic

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Started working out to improve my mobility (I'm disabled).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Fired a therapist after two meetings. He talked a LOT more than he listened. Still felt guilty, because saying "no" always does. But I cut loose sooner than later!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lawman 0 posted:

I also massively cut down my drinking lately.

:hf:

I'm down from two liters of liquor a week to none. I've lost twenty pounds with zero other changes to my lifestyle lol.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I've lost and kept off 45 pounds over the last year.

Also ended a relationship with a horrible narcissist before it got too far off the ground, which doesn't feel great, but feels better than being in a lovely relationship.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I hired an ape to follow me unseen and then jump out and beat my rear end randomly 1-3 times a month. The fear makes every day last an eternity and thus life won't feel so short

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I hired an ape to follow me unseen and then jump out and beat my rear end randomly 1-3 times a month. The fear makes every day last an eternity and thus life won't feel so short

oh yeah. that's def what the ape is doing to your rear end. forsure

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I just hit my 1 year anniversary with my Tonal home gym and my physical health is the best it's ever been in. It's the best investment I ever made in my life.

Mental health is in shambles though. lol

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Haven't done it yet, but this is the year I leave my career in auto repair completely behind

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
got a job where I'm making decent money for the first time in a couple years a month ago. it involves a lot of travel to job sites so I got a steam deck to bring along to the hotel, pretty stoked about it

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

YeahTubaMike posted:

This seeeeems like a bit of an exaggeration, but my quality of life did improve significantly once I learned the concept of toxic positivity, realized that openly disliking things didn't automatically make me a huge bitch, and stopped beating myself up over having negative emotions.

This lesson helped me, too.

I feel like a related thing is holding back from asking people to stop making GBS threads on you. Growing a backbone changed my life for the better.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Having the bathroom redone.

Worth it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm incredibly glad I've never been into drinking because like yeah I've had my thing w/ benzos and I was dependent on prescribed amphetamines for a long time and I'm a pack a day smoker and I smoke too much weed but all of that pales in comparison to the destruction that alcoholism does to your body and your life

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been able to successfully gently caress my life up for the last 20 years without ruining it, but all the heavy drinkers I knew ruined their lives 15 years ago

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

This is how Peter Sellers actually died, they swapped out Cato for a gorilla as a gag but things got badly out of hand because the gorilla turned out to be a method actor.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I use messenger to talk to people I know in real life, Discord for shitposting about various things at my leisure (usually games) and this dead gay forum. Besides that I've just straight up cut out social media. If someone sends me a specific tweet or Tumblr post or whatever I *might* read it, but then I close the thing.

I didn't even engage people outside of shitposting but the whole thing was making me resentful of people. Cut that out and I'm doing a billion times better mentally and emotionally. It's really surprising how even a low energy casual user like me was getting brain poisoned. Social media bad.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you find yourself endlessly doomscrolling social media on your phone, go turn on greyscale mode. On iOS I think it's in the accessibility options. on Android you have to set it up as a Bedtime Mode thing, set your Bedtime mode to last from 12:00am-11:59pm and turn on greyscale during bedtime mode.

Color is one of the biggest subliminal manipulation techniques the modern web uses to keep users engaged and you'll be shocked at how hollow and empty it feels using your phone/social media in greyscale. Pulling out my phone on a smoke break or whatever where I'd usually scroll social media actually makes me feel a little bit physically repulsed now that I removed color form the equation, which in turn forced me to find more productive/good things to do to fill up that doomscrolling time, like drawing or writing or whatever. It's Good.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I drank a big glass of water. That will definitely improve my life a teeny bit!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

i stopped paying attention to the school busses when they put their stop signs out just drive right on by and haven’t hit any kids yet like what is the bus driver gonna do apprehend me after a high speed pursuit lmao

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Genesplicer posted:

I drank a big glass of water. That will definitely improve my life a teeny bit!

Good hydration is more important than you think. Well done.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Eating the bodies

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Chief McHeath posted:

i stopped paying attention to the school busses when they put their stop signs out just drive right on by and haven’t hit any kids yet like what is the bus driver gonna do apprehend me after a high speed pursuit lmao

if this isn't a joke post gently caress you scumbag

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Wow the SA forums: Where you will be personally attacked for not running over kids while you're driving in your car.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Wow the SA forums: Where you will be personally attacked for not running over kids while you're driving in your car.

R->C->P

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I stopped sleeping on my shoulders and surprise surprise my bilateral cubital tunnel syndrome is starting to alleviate. Still not much info on what sort of jacked thumb joint injury I have, but I'll take the improvement to my shoulders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

pencilhands posted:

For me it was getting a cat. I was initially reluctant to and now I can't believe I was ever without a pet.

Hard same, although by recent I mean August of last year.

E: my mom happened to pass away right at the same time, so my cat absolutely helped through the grieving process and she's been a joy for me ever since.

E2: cat tax -

Feeling grumpy that I'm paying attention to my online Chinese class instead of her.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 18, 2023