Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

BLDuck posted:

Well that escalated quickly...
Can't say the outlook for my career--copywriting--is great.
I'd take bets that within the next decade I'll just be editing lovely AI copy for 8 hours.
And now that the cat is out the bag, I don't see this pre-mentat tech slowing down.

Let's talk about pivots.

What career path do ya'll think will survive this disruptive wave?
Any white collar jobs you see as the next tech-bro?

Anything where you have to dynamically manipulate small objects in 3D space will be good for a while. I mean plugging in cables behind a PC moreso than arms on an assembly line. As an example I don't see AI getting good at walking around a business park unpacking, connecting, and installing printers any time soon. OSs could get significantly better at the installation and drivers side of things, but that's not the way things are moving now. And your current generation of employees is surprisingly no better with computers in the workplace than boomers, so you can't expect them to do all that themselves. It's hard to picture AI doing any kind of troubleshooting itself much better than the terrible built-in Windows Troubleshooters.

That's the lowest level of support. I could see AI doing a little bit of system administration like generating a LAMP stack with a few parameters, but for the most part you'll want humans for that. System and network administration need you to understand the organization you work for, so that when poo poo breaks you can fix it. For anything I can imagine AI setting up, I can't imagine it doing support or maintenance. Maybe like we now see with programmers, AI will enhance the job but not outright replace it unless a boss is torpedoing the company through idiocy or maliciousness.

Getting Adobe or AutoDesk software working with your MDM, dealing with licensing issues, and communicating to the user that no, this expensive PC without a graphics card will not run the AutoCAD you bought, isn't something an angry boss with an AI can accomplish like an angry boss with a computer janitor can.

So I think computer touchers are pretty safe for now.
I'm curious what AI in Project Management could be like. Probably either fantastic or poo poo compared to your current PMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU