Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Jaxyon posted:

Your big danger is the people hiring you thinking that ChatGPT can replace you. It's far better at making things "look" right than actual technical content being accurate.

IE it makes very good looking legal documents until you show them to a lawyer.

Exactly this.

While I won't say that there isn't any value in the AI ethics conversations that have been going around--because it's absolutely something that should be debated and established--I also think that the nature of that discourse has led to people grossly overestimating what the technology is actually capable of right now. Hell, even the fact that it gets referred to as AI is almost a misnomer, because it brings up all these sci-fi associations that are absolutely not within the realm of reality, and so you get people insisting that chatbots are sentient.

There's also a lot of people pushing that misunderstanding. I get exposed to more CNBC in the course of my job than I would really like, and there's a constant stream of chyrons and people talking about how AI is going to revolutionize so-and-so industry, and it's the exact same kind of language as when NFTs and blockchain were getting pushed. And they're incentivized to do this, because that's capitalism. But when credulous people go all-in on AI like this, it results in layoffs because they're management. And then it won't work, because the technology isn't there, it's just good at looking like it's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU