Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

From the developers of SQUAD, released into Early Access May 17, 2023 on Steam

:blaster: Goon co-op Discord to find fresh meat for the grinder :blastback:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256947506/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1684348975

Starship Troopers: Extermination is a pulse-pounding, base-building, objective-grabbing co-op first-person shooter. Join the Deep Space Vanguard, an elite Special Forces branch of the Mobile Infantry, in the fight against the Bug menace and claim victory for humanity!

The deep-space mining colony on Planet Valaka, designation PE-59, has been decimated by the Arachnids—and the Vanguard has been sent in to take it back. As soon as dropship hits dirt, your trusty Morita Assault Rifle, build tool, and fellow Vanguard Troopers are all that will keep you alive while exploring the hostile surface of Valaka.

Retake and rebuild bases, construct refineries, and complete a variety of other side objectives to wrest control of the map away from the Bug menace. A massive, detailed map with several unique zones adds to incredible replayability, and swarm-based combat with hundreds of enemy Bugs on screen delivers the sense of taking part in an overwhelming planetary struggle

Choose from the Hunter, Operator, and Bastion classes to best suit your playstyle and support the rest of your squad. Stay in contact with your teammates with the intuitive “Ping” system to call out points of interest, enemies, and more. As you progress, you’ll unlock new weapons, equipment, and perks for each class to become an elite warfighter of the Deep Space Vanguard! Additional customization choices to come as the game develops.

Increasing Bug threat levels during missions bring bigger and more dangerous enemies to the fight and you’re going to need to hunker down to stand a chance. Construct walls, towers, ammo stations, and more using resources acquired from planetside refineries to beat back the Bugs until Fleet can come and get you. At Early Access launch you’ll encounter Drone, Warrior, Gunner, Plasma Grenadier, and Tiger Elite enemy Bugs, with more to come!

Starship Troopers: Extermination is being built alongside the community. With a lower entry price at Early Access launch, we want to encourage Troopers to sign up with the Vanguard. We are boots on the ground with our community, ready to listen, as we take the game from Early Access to a full launch.

Official FAQ

Official Discord

Early access roadmap:

Is this game actually good?

It's extremely early access, so there's very little content with currently only a few map areas and mission types, and while they've been deploying hotfixes you'll need some jank tolerance. There are strong bones here however, and it's already fun as poo poo trying to hold your rickety rear end base together against piles of bugs before manically scrambling to the evac ships with 15 other people screaming in VOIP as the bugs swarm and the store brand Basil Poledouris knockoff orchestral soundtrack swells.

If development goes well this game could go places, and if development does not go well it will at the least be a fun diversion for a while until the limited content becomes stale.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
The co-op goons discord has been having fun with this. Had a good session last evening even, where most of us got our first game with all 16 players extracted.

Most people so far seem pretty chill, happy to spout off quotes from the movie and be over dramatic when getting overrun. It's fairly jank yes but so far the core game play loop seems entertaining enough.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
This game sounds pretty cool. Question, can you make a game with 15 of your buddies? Or do you make a squad of 4 and join in a queue? Can you join solo?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

I've played 3 or so matches and really enjoyed it! One guy jumped in with a soundboard from the movie and I actually loved him hitting contextually accurate quotes while we were playing, added some fun to it

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

This game sounds pretty cool. Question, can you make a game with 15 of your buddies? Or do you make a squad of 4 and join in a queue? Can you join solo?
You can have 15 other goons for the grinder in a party, yes. Joining solo is what most people do. The 'squads' of 4 in game is only for the use of team voice and occasionally suggesting each other go for the same objective.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Because a thread was made I am obligated to post some clips.

The good:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/167054916848844810/1108577446464323704/outofsight_is_a_cool_guy.mp4

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/517738683856846850/1108904801623871510/its_a_lot_of_bugs.mp4

Me, being bad:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/167054916848844810/1108577351031324702/Id_catch_a_grenediar_for_ya.mp4

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/167054916848844810/1108577492828180541/canister_deez_bugs.mp4

The EA:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/167054916848844810/1108577390638153758/stay_clear_of_the_lift_off_zone.mp4

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Also there has been at least one bad apple on voice so far, I didn't hear it because I was talking but when playing with goons apparently a pubbie I just barely didn't make it to save dropped a hard r at me. :shrug:

So far everyone's either having a blast with movie quotes or doing call outs on bugs so it was surprisingly left field.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

I hope the Verhoeven vibe that made the movie better than it deserved to be is preserved as implied.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have only had time to play a few matches, but they were all really fun. I normally don't buy Early Access titles, but I couldn't say no to a new Starship Troopers game. 16 player co-op is just a really neat and fun idea too.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This game looks a bit shaky but with the positive reviews I'll definitely try it out. It does make me laugh that the developers went from SQUAD to this. What a shift to go from full milsim to shooting bugs.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Can confirm as a Bastion trooper that it is good. My spiffy new Morita Mk3 SAW has the dumbest amount of normal recoil I ever saw this side of the planet, to a point where either I exclusively use it in Siege Mode or grab a rocket launcher from a secondary objective cache. And I abso-loving-lutely cannot wait to use the nuclear det packs (I get 'em at 11, Hunters get 'em at 20) to somehow kill myself, my fellow troopers, and a single bug that ventured too close.

5er posted:

I hope the Verhoeven vibe that made the movie better than it deserved to be is preserved as implied.

I do remember one of the wave start lines being. "Bugs incoming. ETA... Now." That, combined with the cheesy news intro about us assaulting a point and the fact that it seems like friendly fire is always on, even on Easy and it might skew towards the heavy violence side.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Also pro-tip I learned from another goon: you can replace your pistol with the rocket launcher, so you can have a full auto weapons and a rocket launcher

Or a grenade launcher and a rocket launcher :swanlake:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Also, feel free to drop by the co-op goons discord. We're chill folks. https://discord.gg/vSNn4Sk

ONLY GOOD BUG IS A DEAD BUG!

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 27, 2023

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

As with what another poster mentioned, I've run into exactly one rear end in a top hat whiner so far, everyone else in comms has been mostly chill and/or just there to shout lines from the movie.

5er posted:

this game is a straight up love letter to the movie, in addition to the in-game news briefings and voice lines sharing the exact same vibe as the Verhoeven film and the soundtrack being a spin on the film's original score, these are from the UI:

Every time you load into a mission your nameless trooper is randomly assigned a voice from a bucket of male and female VAs, perfectly in sync with the Mobile Infantry being completely disposable and interchangeable assets for an insane fascist regime.

And on the topic of fascist propaganda, yes, you can press F to pay respects.

it's a total meme game that also happens to be super fun

Purchase guarantees citizenship!

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I remember someone elsewhere said how there was a "bug" where you could get squished by the payloads. To which I hope it never gets patched out, that actually adds to the experience.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Played my first match and I like it! The bugs die faster than was implied in the trailer and you can definitely feel the SQUAD influence in the gunplay. There isn't really a lot of cohesion between teammates but it seems to be one of those games where it strikes a good balance between being mechanically complex and also being achievable by just kind of herding people from place to place. You don't need to have a ton of strategy because people will tend to spread out and build from the word go, and not bunch up too much.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Oof. ARK mode can be rough if there's a weak point in your defenses. We had one that sadly caused crashes for a couple people, but we went through the meat grinder long enough for the objective to finish, and a brutal extraction saw only four of us make it.

Which technically counts as a success. All KIA personnel will posthumously be granted citizenship. (upon completion of the required paperwork, signed and dated by the one receiving the benefits)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Does every kind of weapon attack count as friendly fire, like detonating mines and the splash damage hits people?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I take back what I say about the game being intuitive to teammates, it's amazing how hard some people seem to struggle with drawing squares. I've seen so many gaps in walls that had to be patched in with the lovely low walls because they were planned badly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

widespread posted:

I remember someone elsewhere said how there was a "bug" where you could get squished by the payloads. To which I hope it never gets patched out, that actually adds to the experience.

Its inconsistent if it happens, but I think youre suppose to take damage from getting hit.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Drakenel posted:

Oof. ARK mode can be rough if there's a weak point in your defenses. We had one that sadly caused crashes for a couple people, but we went through the meat grinder long enough for the objective to finish, and a brutal extraction saw only four of us make it.

Which technically counts as a success. All KIA personnel will posthumously be granted citizenship. (upon completion of the required paperwork, signed and dated by the one receiving the benefits)

I held the north as long as I could with my marksman rifle but there's only so much one Operator can do when there's an ADA compatible ramp directly over the wall. Also I'd like the marksman rifle way more if I could rip the drat scope off and put a holo sight on it.

Also not sure what they put in the pistol rounds but they're incredibly solid against the trash bugs and warriors (I think the waist high ones die to one hit regardless). Which is good because if you go with the heavy class and take the LMG the recoil when you're not in turret is so strong I'm surprised your character doesn't actually fall on their rear end. You can kind of manage it when mobile but I find it way easier just to rely on my sidearm. I really love the heavy pistol once you unlock it: normal pistol has "stagger" which makes the warriors stumble back, the heavy pistol has "stun" which makes them just sit down for a couple of seconds.

Game's fun. Needs more fleshing out but has some really solid bones. Also needs to take a page from DRG and make there be a general salute button where you start shouting propaganda at each other. I mean there's the salute for corpses, but it needs to be a general thing.

Oh and make it clear that people have to actually be IN the dropship for them to count. I've seen several matches where random players keep running out to kill more bugs so 2-3 more people die.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Alkydere posted:

Oh and make it clear that people have to actually be IN the dropship for them to count. I've seen several matches where random players keep running out to kill more bugs so 2-3 more people die.

bugs cure stupid

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah its best to just get into the dropship ASAP and stay there. If you die you won't get any experience, but I believe that is unintentional.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Does every kind of weapon attack count as friendly fire, like detonating mines and the splash damage hits people?

No. It seems like Grenade and Utility explosives all do not do friendly fire (except one, which is explicitly stated in the tool tip lol). Rocket Launchers and Grenade Launchers do damage the trooper wielding them if it explodes too close as well. Only bullets seem to friendly fire your allies, everything else is just self inflicted.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

:stare: There is a JUMP between Easy and Normal, holy gently caress. Goes from one objective to like three. Gotta gas up the ARC, help get ore mined, and set up a beacon for rocket launchers.

Died twice, still killed the most bugs on my squad.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Normal, fittingly enough, feels like the intended vibe for the game; bugs are actually dangerous and you need to work together against swarms since you can't just single-handedly mow down a dozen warriors running straight at you

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
This game is way more fun than it probably has any right to be. I have yet to die during extraction even the one time I got hung up on world geometry and fell way down off the platform the extraction shuttle was sitting on and had to run back up through a pack of bugs.

People farming bug kills at the end is kinda annoying, but it's not the end of the world. They could remove those bug kills from scoring and give a bonus for every second left on the extraction clock to help with this.

I'M DOING MY PART!

EDIT:

Wheeee posted:

Normal, fittingly enough, feels like the intended vibe for the game; bugs are actually dangerous and you need to work together against swarms since you can't just single-handedly mow down a dozen warriors running straight at you
Agreed. Doing normal and having to deal with a cluster of the sniper bugs mowing people down as they popped up over a ridge was cool, actually had to come up with some tactics to advance.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, are the bugs like in the movies it it takes 30 seconds of concentrated shooting by multiple soldiers just to take out one bug, unless you happen to be one of the leads in which you can kill droves at a time? :v:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

So, are the bugs like in the movies it it takes 30 seconds of concentrated shooting by multiple soldiers just to take out one bug, unless you happen to be one of the leads in which you can kill droves at a time? :v:

Nah, you got basic/Warrior bugs that don't take much bullet to kill. Then you start getting Gunner bugs that are snipers. And then Tiger Elite bugs that seem like the tanks of the bugs. And then Grenadiers exist to be big and poo poo on your base from afar. You're gonna be focus firing hordes. Preferably far ones, since close ones will tear up bases and be juuuuuust out of your firing angle to be annoying.

As an aside, your dropship can spawn 700 loving METERS AWAY. Team had to haul rear end to get there, and we STILL lost a trooper due to him clipping through the ramp.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

lol just had an extremely long mission spread out all across the map that, upon the last of us successfully boarding the evac ship after firing the ARC, for some reason ended as defeated

deep rockthe federation really needs to get some better equipment

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

this is fun, it really is like being in the 1997 film. looking forward to seeing how this one updates.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
is there some vsync setting im missing that I can turn off? my input lag is something else.

also just finished my first mission. pretty enjoyable and definitely a lot of early access jank.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Unlucky7 posted:

Widespread already answered this but the answer is "Both". 90% of the horde is trash, but the Horde is BIG. Then come the specials: The "Tiger" basically needs the 30 seconds of concentrated firepower from an entire squad to go down. In that time he's trashing defenses and biting players in half.

Edit:
Had a mission earlier where the dropship was just hanging over the edge of a bridge. The evac really can spawn almost anywhere.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 20, 2023

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

look the fleet has had to relax some of their requirements recently to hit recruitment targets

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I hope the devs invest their early access windfall by securing the rights to Klendathu Drop so it can play during extractions. That's my early access feedback thank you goodbye

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Wheeee posted:

look the fleet has had to relax some of their requirements recently to hit recruitment targets

I got the same location again on another run. I think the evac locations are fixed. There's just a lot of them for the RNG to choose from.

But yes, loving this game. I really hope we get some new weapons in to lead to varied playstyles. Would absolutely love the Bastion getting something like NC's Jackhammer from Planetside 2. Heck just split the current LMG into an LMG you can kind of use while not locked down and an HMG that demands being locked down.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I hope there's more stuff to build like quake wars or planetside 2 buildin ur own base (BYOB). If the servers can handle that.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Just realized I'm surprised they didn't include hopper bugs

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Well, there's always time for more stuff. I hope they just tighten the core gameplay a bit more. It's just on the edge of being addicting if they can nail down that loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

DoubleT2172 posted:

Just realized I'm surprised they didn't include hopper bugs

The temptation must be huge to not make them into a straight copy of DRG Grabbers