Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
As a KDR whore, I do not understand caring about KDR in a pve game. Who gives a poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

As a KDR whore, I do not understand caring about KDR in a pve game. Who gives a poo poo?

Right? Imagine getting a Starship Troopers game and even getting the Klendathu Drop theme remixed and an evac point and running past dudes on the ground you could pick up or turn around and do cool last stands over and NOT doing that

What the gently caress, why are you even playing then

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Bought this during the summer sale and I really like what's there so far, though it def. needs a lot more time in the oven. Kinda bummed none of the character models have faces (yet?) And everyone is restricted to a masked helmet character. Still, lotta fun so far.

But I agree with the above, if you're worried about dying/KDR and not trying to rescue downed teammates while facing overwhelming numbers of bugs, are you sure you wanna play this game?

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 17, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
IKR? Those clutch saves over the crescendo of the movie score were the BEST PART of the game, 16/16 and cheering in the dropship.

The last straw for me Sunday evening evac after another failed horde mode, playing a Bastion, popping the playpen on the only downed trooper I can reach, reviving them, ASKING for cover when I drop my walls, hearing silence, looking towards the dropship to see them jetting away and never looking back, asking them WTF? on voice chat and hearing "I'm not an operator, that's not my job".

I feel like I'm running into that kind of player more and more often and I don't understand what they're even doing in the game? Just ruined it for me. I mean, they also ruin the match as in we don't win, but good luck trying to explain that to them.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Game needs a Rasczak type class that only a sole high level player can play that can shoot troopers for not doing their job.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I mean if you want to walk away from the game til it's more developed then do that? I sure as hell am, I got my taste of it and I'll probably come back and play again in a few content patches.

Years or unpaid beta testing playing early access games has taught me that the fastest way to burn out on a game is to play it a ton when it's still kind of poo poo.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

CuddleCryptid posted:

I mean if you want to walk away from the game til it's more developed then do that?
Less the game than the player base. The game is still fun for me, but the randos have been a consistent pattern of worse lately. I have no idea if OWI can patch that, but I hope so.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The devs just released a community feedback bugfix and QoL patch and the bugfixes look fine but uh... this is somehow toted as a big QoL feature

- Removed player rank restrictions on difficulty levels to find matches after a set time.
Example: If you search Recruit Mode, it will search within Recruit Mode. If it fails to find matches within 75 seconds, it will expand to search Normal (Trooper) Mode. After 100 seconds, it will expand to Veteran.

If someone is queueing for Recruit I don't think they want to be put in a harder difficulty? The heck??

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Tbh if it's that or waiting 15 minutes for a match then I get it, but 75 seconds is way too fast.

I'm sure the playerbase has tanked since EA release because it always works that way, and they want to keep people in matches. But that is probably too aggressive.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Would be cool if they actually gave you the option as a pop up or something to expand your queue search to other difficulties after X amount of time.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

quote:

Notable Bug Fixes: nothing actually notable, but good to know they're working on bugs

Notable Quality of Life Improvements
Removed player rank restrictions on difficulty levels to find matches after a set time.
The party system will use the party leader’s rank to determine if the party can join a mode instead of the lowest party member’s level.
Removed Horde from Quick Play Options

Two of those three QoL changes aren't quality at all. Second is a legit good change. First and third are "Quality of OWI's dwindling player base" changes.

~800 players avg per hour across 6 regions, three difficulties, and three game modes means at any given time equals ... 14 players for the game mode you want in the region you want at the difficulty you want at any given time, except it ain't that evenly distributed so instead you have regions/diff/modes that are ghost towns with long match timers, and a few healthy sets of options that feel normal. No wonder they had to make those 'QoL' changes. God forbid they try any real game design changes, or any of a great number of changes that don't actually require coding.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

I haven't been playing this game for a while, since the changes that were being made were kind of rear end.

However, looks like we have a new 4-player Hive mode?
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1268750/view/3703705346683973169
quoted below

quote:

Troopers, gear up for an adrenaline-pumping descent into the very heart of Valaka in our most explosive update yet! Update 0.5.0 - Hives of Valaka will release on Steam on Thursday, October 12th!

We’ll have more information released in the coming week before launch, but here is a taste of what you can expect in this new update:

New Features

Hive Hunt Game Mode - Dive deep into the treacherous caverns of Valaka with your squad of four Troopers. Your mission? Deliver nukes straight to the heart of the Arachnid nests and blast those Bugs to smithereens!

Trooper Utilities and Class Perks - Choose from a fresh selection of class utilities and perks to customize your loadout for maximum Bug-blasting efficiency, and to give you an edge in the new Hive Hunt game mode.

New Reload Mechanic for the Twin MG - Coordination is key! Introducing a brand new reload mechanic for the Twin MG. Sync up with your squad mates to keep the lead flying and the Bugs dying.

New Weapons - Equip yourselves with cutting-edge firepower to take the fight to the Arachnids. The Armory is now stocked with a couple of powerful and game-changing additions that will leave the Bugs begging for mercy.

Improved Trooper Models - We've overhauled Trooper models to ensure you look as sharp as your aim. Get ready to stride into battle with confidence and style!

And More! - We've listened to your feedback and made a slew of other tweaks, improvements, and optimizations to make this the most immersive Starship Troopers experience yet!

Get ready to experience the heart-pounding action of Hive Hunt, Troopers! Suit up, grab your gear, and prepare to annihilate the Arachnid threat. Update 0.5.0 - Hive Hunt is on its way, so stay tuned and prepare for the drop!

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Thanks for posting that update. Not enough for me to come back just yet, hopefully they take the pile of money they got on launch and add a jungle planet, variety of maps and missions, etc.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
This is my workout game so I play it every night. IIRC they rolled back the most egregious ARC changes (the ones that made it too easy). I only play horde mode though, so ARC is a faint memory.

Still a very fun game.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

This is my workout game so I play it every night. IIRC they rolled back the most egregious ARC changes (the ones that made it too easy). I only play horde mode though, so ARC is a faint memory.

Still a very fun game.

They broke my baby boy grenade launcher though. Still salty about that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm playing for the first time since launch and I do like some of the changes, although it seems from a technical design side things have taken a hit. Bullets coming out of people's heads instead of their guns, UI issues, a lot of small things that shouldn't be there.

I'm honestly pretty hesitant to hear about the new mode without base building. They really haven't solidified the other modes yet, and branching off onto a new path might be thematically strong but I'd prefer they finish the base game before looking at putting in whole new modes.

Also I'd like it if I could get into a game that isn't 75% done for better or for worse.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Fishstick posted:

They broke my baby boy grenade launcher though. Still salty about that.

Still the best gun in the game that's not the morita. Massive stagger is still there, and you kill 3-4 bugs per clip easy.

But agreed. It needed some nerfing, but not that much.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Still the best gun in the game that's not the morita. Massive stagger is still there, and you kill 3-4 bugs per clip easy.

But agreed. It needed some nerfing, but not that much.

Is the Mortia good now? At launch the DRM was the only one that could kill a warrior in less than 3/4ths of a clip.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is the Mortia good now? At launch the DRM was the only one that could kill a warrior in less than 3/4ths of a clip.

I meant the DRM. They're all Moritas.

They also buffed the SAW some from launch. Much bigger clip, better kill power.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I meant the DRM. They're all Moritas.

They also buffed the SAW some from launch. Much bigger clip, better kill power.

Ah right, the Federation uses the same naming scheme as the US Army where every single gun, weapon, and package of salted crackers is "M####"

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

the base building is my fave part of the game but horde sucks and this new game mode wont even have it? ):

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

They are also changing the progression system, adding things like perks, utilities, and new weapons.

Every class now has some kind of shotgun and the Hunter gets a bolt action sniper.

Some of the new stuff includes repairing things from 15 m away, overcharging buildings that damage them but give them more health or damage based on what is buffed, deployable sentry guns, and long range reviving people by shouting at them.

Link here.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Well, there's Trig's ridiculous sniper rifle. Neat.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The spawn beacon for operator is going to be a big deal so long as if has a good number of charges, will really change the calculus on doing far off objectives plus dying and respawning with a full kit will become tactically viable.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

They need to get weak points into the game ASAP

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

GruntyThrst posted:

They need to get weak points into the game ASAP

Agreed. It would boost player retention.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Patch Notes for tomorrow.

They messed around with the XP system a bit more so you get xp for building and repairing structures, and when deploying deployables.

I'm not sure exactly how it works but gun turrets and sentries now need to be reloaded using an ammo box. I think they both do more damage to compensate.

In "Jesus Christ it took you this long to do it?" news on ARC missions the objective to gather gas doesn't appear until after a full load of ore is mined.

Quickplay is now gone and is being reworked somehow.

They've slightly increased the damage of the rifle and carbine while nerfing the splash radius of the grenade launcher by 50%.

Edit: And since I don't think anyone posted it here are the notes about Hive Mode.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 11, 2023

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
But the real question is

did they fix hold instead of tap for abilities?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Fishstick posted:

But the real question is

did they fix hold instead of tap for abilities?
They did! It's in the control menu, along with better options all around.

Played one round of Hive with an all friends group and none of us wanted to do it ever again. SST:E should not make itself that directly comparable to DGR because it loses in every facet by large margins.

Gameplay wise, Hive was visually boring and confusing. The number of bugs that get up in your face and make it hard to see was not fun at all.

All the other little tweaks and things and perks and weapons are just kind of boring. That's chrome you save for when the core gameplay loop is fun.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah hive was pretty unimpressive. Just trying to punch through the bugs takes a long time, which is a problem when there is a pretty short timer to complete the entire mission. We got one nuke down and was on our way to a second before we got overrun but we had used 75% of our timer by that point, so we had lost already anyways.

I'd much rather have an escalating threat using the same mechanic as the base game rather than a strict "15 minutes to death" timer.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Overall I think I like the recent update. It's so hard to tell though, since the servers are basically impossible to play on with rubber banding.

Not really a good look when you're trying to keep people playing your game.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

So few users that you have a lot of people playing in the US servers from half the globe away. Not really fixable without improving the game to the point you start raising the player numbers.

They gambled on novelty and minor tweaks, and it doesn't look it worked, again (from the charts, a temporary bump, no sustained climb like you would see in a game gaining momentum). They need to go back to the bread and butter of the game and make the most popular modes better than they are.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I'll write a post about my impressions so far.

Can't speak to Hive Mode as I haven't played it and I bought this game to play a PvE game that isn't just 4 players.

I also can't speak to the Hunter changes as I don't play Hunter that much and it would take me way too long to unlock what they have.

Getting xp for repairing, building, and reloading sentries is nice. Its not a lot but its way better than nothing.

The Bastian shotgun is awful. It takes 4-5 rounds at point blank range on Normal to kill a Warrior and it doesn't seam to have much of a spread, especially when you use the Bastian's ability and it becomes pin point accurate but has no range to it. Basically I felt like I could barely contribute to fights and would run out of ammo super fast compared to the SAW.

The Operator shotgun is incredible. It is only close range but will kill a Warrior on Normal or Hard with just 2 shots. The spread feels really nice and the single shell reloads help keep you in the fight. A+ and I don't think I'll use any other Operator weapon from now on.

The other things for Bastian I've seen or messed with is the portable sentry and the deployable walls. The sentry is great. Its like having another trooper around and as long as you are near something that refills your utilities you can place down a few of them They have plenty of ammo and last for a while. I haven't used the deployable walls but they seems great for making a choke point away from base.

For Operator I've used the revival shout and seen the speed stim dispenser used. I really want the shout to be good but I haven't seen much of a use for it. I was thinking it would be good if someone gets knocked down outside of base or is right outside the evac shuttle but the situation hasn't happened yet. The range on it seems to be pretty good though. I'm also not 100% on if if can go through walls. The speed stim looks like it would be more useful since it gives someone a stim that doubles their movement speed and last like 10 seconds. Not something I've used a lot but definitely handy.

I was worried reloading sentries and turrets would be a pain but its actually not. I like it.

All in all I think this was a good patch. Probably not enough to get a huge influx of people although I have seen a few low level players around.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Slyphic posted:

They gambled on novelty and minor tweaks, and it doesn't look it worked, again (from the charts, a temporary bump, no sustained climb like you would see in a game gaining momentum). They need to go back to the bread and butter of the game and make the most popular modes better than they are.
Still haven't bothered with the update yet, but this is was my thinking before.

Sorry to hear the update is only "okay".

I think part of the problem is it seems like they don't have any real direction and they're throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

When the game launched, it seemed like they nailed the tone and what the game was about. Since then, it's been.... .... ... off. The updates haven't been truly satisfying. The game doesn't need more modes; it needs more missions (for either of the two base modes). It needs more levels. It needs more development of the classes into something satisfying.

From the footage I've seen... Hive is neat conceptually, but 4 players isn't what most of us came here for. Starship Troopers is about being a faceless loving grunt among grunts thrown haplessly at the enemy. Should be more players in Hive mode where you defend a central arms cache while systematically wiping out main caves with nukes. Making decisions on whether to multi-push or play it safe and push one cave at a time. Each cave can have one of a handful of events where there's ambushes, poison spore emitting growth, all sorts of random poo poo to shake it up.

Or the game is, afterall, Early Access. Maybe the devs feel empowered to just test out whatever and see how it works. Maybe they're unsure of what to do after the base game they did at launch.

Also... I mean investing in 4 player is a bad plan because Helldivers 2 is almost assuredly going to be a better 4 player Starship Troopers game.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 17, 2023

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

New update: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1268750/view/3705959047641122403?l=english

Bastion auto shotgun got buffed
Hunter shotgun got more range

Magazine bandolier now applies to shotguns
Stims got nerfed
Warriors give 2xp per kill now

among other things.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

BeAuMaN posted:

New update: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1268750/view/3705959047641122403?l=english

Bastion auto shotgun got buffed
Hunter shotgun got more range

Magazine bandolier now applies to shotguns
Stims got nerfed
Warriors give 2xp per kill now

among other things.

I hope it fixes rubber banding.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Big new patch tomorrow.

New map and new enemies for that map.

Player rank level is 100 now and it unlocks extra slots for Utilities and Perks at certain levels.

Trooper appearance customization.

A new teamkiller system. If someone racks up a bunch of friendly fire over a certain period they get branded a traitor. They glow red, can no longer do friendly fire, and once killed by other players is booted and banned from the server. You do get a warning if you start racking up too much friendly fire so it shouldn't just be sprung on people.

A global text chat.

Some balance changes like the ability cooldowns for Bastian and Operators, turrets hold more ammo and ammo boxes restore 100 ammo now.

No mention about network issues but I'm pretty sure those are more down to having a lower player count so more Chinese players show up in American servers.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Bastions are gonna be killing bugs good tomorrow.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Good patch but the TKer should still be able to do team damage when marked. Extreme difficulty mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

The TK stuff is a solution for a problem I don't think I ever had in the game. I don't think it's going to matter to the hackers, and it's not anywhere near as common and impactful as deliberately bad base designs.

Devs scrambling to invent anything other than a basic rear end vote-kick system for some stupid reason. Griefing isn't a mechanical problem to be solved with game mechanics, it's a social problem to be solved with broad social tools.

I'm going to put some time in with the new map, got some friends lined up for a couple hours this Saturday evening.