Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I feel like I'm going to get tired of the gameplay without some additional spark, so hopefully they do flesh it out pretty well. The game is fun but at the same time the missions tend to bleed together a lot, and I feel like the defensive buildings need to be stronger. I think I'd prefer that the bugs crawl over the walls rather than breaking them, but regardless the end of missions are always an absolute clusterfuck of swarming bugs that you're relying on the rocket launcher holders to just carpet bomb around the objective to clear. Make the walls twice as strong and give the objective half as much health, that kind of thing.

I tend to play support roles in games like this because I am cursed with a logistics-minded brain but I tried heavy instead, not bad. However I will probably end up going back to support because reviving people takes *so* long and heavy weapons run out of ammo *so* fast.

Problem is you get into a mission with only support for some reason. Because of the self heals and revives I guess? Because it's sure not dropping ammo

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I feel like I'm going to get tired of the gameplay without some additional spark, so hopefully they do flesh it out pretty well. The game is fun but at the same time the missions tend to bleed together a lot, and I feel like the defensive buildings need to be stronger. I think I'd prefer that the bugs crawl over the walls rather than breaking them, but regardless the end of missions are always an absolute clusterfuck of swarming bugs that you're relying on the rocket launcher holders to just carpet bomb around the objective to clear. Make the walls twice as strong and give the objective half as much health, that kind of thing.

I tend to play support roles in games like this because I am cursed with a logistics-minded brain but I tried heavy instead, not bad. However I will probably end up going back to support because reviving people takes *so* long and heavy weapons run out of ammo *so* fast.

Problem is you get into a mission with only support for some reason. Because of the self heals and revives I guess? Because it's sure not dropping ammo

It's more that Operators have an ability to carry two canisters at once. Along with the heals, since anyone can revive. They just revive faster.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

widespread posted:

It's more that Operators have an ability to carry two canisters at once. Along with the heals, since anyone can revive. They just revive faster.

They revive faster but also they can self-revive if their drone is already out.

Imo part of the issue is that at least early on there's a huge amount of overlap between the jet trooper and operator in terms of weapons, and the revive stuff is more tempting than the jets. I'm sure as more things unlock the classes will diversify more.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Ground Floor.

Let's hope this isn't crap. Fun so far though, if a bit bare.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Imo part of the issue is that at least early on there's a huge amount of overlap between the jet trooper and operator in terms of weapons, and the revive stuff is more tempting than the jets. I'm sure as more things unlock the classes will diversify more.

I just want to try the Nuclear Det Pack. Even if its on a 30s fuse or something, I get it in three levels as Bastion.

Then again the Hunter does have more mobility... But also gets the pack at 20 instead of 11.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Operators need more team buffs. Like a skill or ammo station upgrade that provides big ammo capacity upgrades for people nearby. Or something similar for med station that provides a damage, accuracy, or movement speed buff via AE combat drugs. I'm not saying I want ubercharge heavy/medic, but something setting appropriate that offers better team synergy than just another source of ammo or health.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I gave it a shot since I was sure this was going to be once of those IP based games that comes out of nowhere and just immediately flops. To see it actually get a good response was shocking. I played three missions on normal and each time the resource collection portion was really boring. Is that the start to every mission?

I don't see why they can't just drop you into a more plain area with some resources and just let your team build on it while repairing between waves. Maybe spawn some optional objectives that people can leave the base's defense to go and do to unlock some extra special resources for better turrets or something. Maybe they'll do that in the future, but I refunded this since there really isn't any variety here. Putting in a Klendathu assault type thing where your group has to move together to get from point A to point B while being constantly attacked with no respawns would be cool. The brightside is that yes, this captures the feeling of the base attack scene from the movie. It's promising but there isn't anything that's keeping me playing.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Hell yea glad this game seems good so far, here's some required listening, put it in the OP and play it on repeat every game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlx_ahISyTw

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

As a person who has started with assault and stuck with it, jet packs rule and have saved my life so many times. It also lets you do some dumb poo poo, but they're gonna need a bit more unique weapon variety to take advantage of it. Also you no longer need to fear fall damage which is real nice.

Imo they're also best at going out beyond the base during sieges because you can use your jets to take building roofs and make your way towards far out grenadier bugs shelling your base.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Lister posted:

I gave it a shot since I was sure this was going to be once of those IP based games that comes out of nowhere and just immediately flops. To see it actually get a good response was shocking. I played three missions on normal and each time the resource collection portion was really boring. Is that the start to every mission?

I don't see why they can't just drop you into a more plain area with some resources and just let your team build on it while repairing between waves. Maybe spawn some optional objectives that people can leave the base's defense to go and do to unlock some extra special resources for better turrets or something. Maybe they'll do that in the future, but I refunded this since there really isn't any variety here. Putting in a Klendathu assault type thing where your group has to move together to get from point A to point B while being constantly attacked with no respawns would be cool. The brightside is that yes, this captures the feeling of the base attack scene from the movie. It's promising but there isn't anything that's keeping me playing.

Good news, once you hit rank 5 you can start playing the ARC mode and this is basically that. The initial mode is a good teaching tool but def gets a bit bland, ARC is the real meat and where the game's bones are shining through.

As is the initial release has demonstrated a solid enough core to earn some goodwill from me, if the devs can keep a solid release pace and just keep expanding and adding this game is gonna be really good.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Operators need more team buffs. Like a skill or ammo station upgrade that provides big ammo capacity upgrades for people nearby. Or something similar for med station that provides a damage, accuracy, or movement speed buff via AE combat drugs. I'm not saying I want ubercharge heavy/medic, but something setting appropriate that offers better team synergy than just another source of ammo or health.

Operators unlock the ammo drop far sooner than the Hunters and you immediately become every Bastion's best friend ever when you start carrying them.

Any time I see a Bastion deployed I'll run up and deploy an ammo box inside their bunker with a quick "Ammo for you!" in proximity chat.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
This game needs an EDF style quick chat wheel. With the singing bits too.

I’m at 2.1 hours now so this game and I are stuck together in sickness and in health. It scratches a very specific itch that hasn’t been scratched since the Source Engine/Garry’s Mod days: and that’s playing those cooperative custom game modes where you’re on a team that’s just slightly too big for real coordination, and there’s that element of chaos involved from having a….”diverse” range of skill levels. And just as importantly it’s very cool that I can mindlessly aim in a general bug ridden direction, and hold down mouse 1 and kill a few things. So basically Holdfast but with weapons that fire literal hundreds of times faster.

e: for anyone reading and still on the fence about the game, be warned that it feels very early access with not that much content yet.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the jankiness just makes the game vibe all the harder with the film's b-movie feel

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

This is my GOTY so far

I have not played that many games this year but still

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Maybe I should watch the movie because I haven’t done that yet either.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Please, please, Mr. Sky Marshal, we’re sick and tired of winning. Please let us have at least one loss. It’s no longer exciting to win.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

buglord posted:

what the gently caress

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

buglord posted:

Wheeee posted:

what the gently caress

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

buglord posted:

Do it now.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

You should watch the movie

Then get really high and watch the sequels for highlights like the psychic Admiral who's simultaneously a popular operatic singer.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

There are no sequels

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0NGlqZ2Reo
There. Now watch the movie and I recommend Starship Troopers: Invasion as well. Traitor of Mars didn't seem as good, but Doogie Howser is basically a psychic zombie at that point.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I mostly would want to see the other movies to hear if they ever explain to the soldiers exactly why they spent all their time in boot camp learning to throw knives through hands and fight mock skirmishes with each other when the bugs have neither hands nor guns.

Like by movie three do they finally kill off the bugs and realize they were trained to be stormtroopers?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Whew this game is fun. Had a crash at 2.1 hours.....which is a bit suspicious. but not really.
Almost lvl 5, looking forward to the new mission type. Might have been in a match with a bunch of you guys...or some other cum enthusiasts.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I mostly would want to see the other movies to hear if they ever explain to the soldiers exactly why they spent all their time in boot camp learning to throw knives through hands and fight mock skirmishes with each other when the bugs have neither hands nor guns.

Like by movie three do they finally kill off the bugs and realize they were trained to be stormtroopers?

I mean, I thought it was fairly clear the troopers fighting the bugs were sort of an afterthought to throw disposable assets at for the opportunity to make money on the planets they infest. I'd assume they were being trained to suppress insurrections and the general public. They clearly have no idea how to actually fight the bugs intelligently. Or don't care.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

CuddleCryptid posted:

Now you're just saying this game needs a high tier unlock of knife throwing for certain classes.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

BeAuMaN posted:

Now you're just saying this game needs a high tier unlock of knife throwing for certain classes.

I would say "Yes" but after bonking bugs to death with a barrel...I'd rather upgrade it to barrel throwing. Let's go full Donkey Kong!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Alkydere posted:

I would say "Yes" but after bonking bugs to death with a barrel...I'd rather upgrade it to barrel throwing. Let's go full Donkey Kong!

We definitely need to grab a recording of the barrel melee next time we play. It's so dumb and I love it in a 'I did not legitimately think this would work.' way.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I will back up what the other guy said, the second map mode is the real meat and potatoes. The first one isn't even that bad, but the second one has a bigger map and more of strategic bent. Definitely happy i spent the 30 bucks, i can see myself playing this alot.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
the rocket launcher is so overpowered it's hilarious
jetpack man can just sit on rooftops and gets instagibbed by the ranged bugs
the saw mg has so much stopping power it's great
game good

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Operator with Grenade launcher and Ammo station is the bees knees

Edit: I am a little disappointed with perks / builds, I'd like to see more active perks than just +1 ammo or +1 charge for stations or other similar boring stat boosts; more synergistic stuff. Instant reload when deploying bastion shield, or provde dmg reduction to nearby teammates if its active. AE damage for rocketeering away from bugs for Assault, short hop fast cooldown jets vs longjump jets; that kind of thing.

That being said, game Good

https://i.imgur.com/M0Jn2gj.mp4

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 21, 2023

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

jetpack man can just sit on rooftops and gets instagibbed by the ranged bugs
the saw mg has so much stopping power it's great
game good

the lack of explosive friendly fire means you can just body check a swarm of bugs and blast them all to gibs point blank, it's great

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is the game too demanding? I have an ancient PC and I'm super interested on this one.

My CPU is super old (i7 2600k) but I have a 1080Ti. 16Gb of RAM and SSDs, etc... So anything that relies heavily on CPU is bound to run bad.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Played a couple more rounds tonight, this game is utter chaos and I love it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

It is extremely strong, but there are a lot of mitigating factors. You don't spawn with it, you have to get them from missions that your team goes out of it's way to do, and especially on ARC they don't appear that often. Also, dying with one of the rocket launcher on you is one of the only times when dying is a real problem because the launcher disappears along with you, meaning that effort to collect it was wasted.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Guillermus posted:

Is the game too demanding? I have an ancient PC and I'm super interested on this one.

My CPU is super old (i7 2600k) but I have a 1080Ti. 16Gb of RAM and SSDs, etc... So anything that relies heavily on CPU is bound to run bad.

yea it seems pretty CPU heavy tbh

try it and refund if it runs like poo poo for you, Gabe’s got your back

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wheeee posted:

yea it seems pretty CPU heavy tbh

try it and refund if it runs like poo poo for you, Gabe’s got your back

Thanks! I'll try on monday and see if it can somehow run decently

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

The Liquor Snurf
Jul 22, 2021

I am the Liquor

Crouch makes a bigger difference than in any other game I've ever played before.

Even the Saw can be Hipfired somewhat reliably, instead of the screen shaking monstrosity it is stood up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Evil Kit posted:

Also pro-tip I learned from another goon: you can replace your pistol with the rocket launcher, so you can have a full auto weapons and a rocket launcher

Or a grenade launcher and a rocket launcher :swanlake:
I tried this out. I mean for patrol/running around it's a bit dicey, but for base defense and for clearing the way for exfil? You become a god parting the seas of bugs. Just need your trusty ammo replicator nearby.

So extra mags doesn't affect grenade launcher or rocket launcher. Does Extended Mags affect Grenade Launcher?

Also how about grenades. Chem looks useless, is Napalm good?

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 21, 2023