Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

The Liquor Snurf posted:

Crouch makes a bigger difference than in any other game I've ever played before.

Even the Saw can be Hipfired somewhat reliably, instead of the screen shaking monstrosity it is stood up

screen shake in general is very annoying and should be toned down/altered quite a bit or make an option to turn it off entirely. Especially from near explosions. Has to be a lot more refined and distinct curve and not this huge rear end slowmotion movement offset over 50% of screenspace

BeAuMaN posted:

Also how about grenades. Chem looks useless, is Napalm good?

napalm feels like it has the most visible effect if it actually did something in the entirety of wonky rear end grenade system, as it sets bugs on fire and damages them. My favorite for that sole reason.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

BeAuMaN posted:

I tried this out. I mean for patrol/running around it's a bit dicey, but for base defense and for clearing the way for exfil? You become a god parting the seas of bugs. Just need your trusty ammo replicator nearby.

So extra mags doesn't affect grenade launcher or rocket launcher. Does Extended Mags affect Grenade Launcher?

Extra mags absolutely affects the rocket launcher. You have 15 rockets instead of 12.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Alkydere posted:

Extra mags absolutely affects the rocket launcher. You have 15 rockets instead of 12.
Huh, so then it just doesn't affect Grenade Launchers then.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

BeAuMaN posted:

I tried this out. I mean for patrol/running around it's a bit dicey, but for base defense and for clearing the way for exfil? You become a god parting the seas of bugs. Just need your trusty ammo replicator nearby.

So extra mags doesn't affect grenade launcher or rocket launcher. Does Extended Mags affect Grenade Launcher?

Extra mags does effect rocket launcher, the description is wrong. Magazine size does too, so you can load a magazine that clearly shows 3 rockets and fire 4 :v:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

BeAuMaN posted:

Ive been playing Veteran and I am extremely enjoying operator with Chem Nade, Ammo Factory, extended mags, grenade cooldown, and the PGL + Heavy Pistol. You have enough AE clearing that you don't really need a launcher and can leave it for others, the nade does great for holding areas, ammo factories for friendly bastions and feeding your grenade lust.

Chem is pretty drat good for base defense, or any kind of of defense really. With the improved grenade cooldown perk you can have a bug-killing cloud up almost indefinitely and it does gangbusters on those situations where bugs are piling on the arc or flooding in from one position. Toss it just outside a wall, near a refinery, on yourself while holding an open position, on the arc that's being pummeled while you repair, etc.

After a good dozen hours my biggesst complaints are mostly UI related. Orange for team indicators when the maps are 90% the same color is not my favorite choice, and nameplates going away after even medium distance makes it hard to get a quick outline of where someone on your team is since all you can see is pale orange class icons:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

How to win when your teammates won't play the objective, or, why you should play Bastion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMQQ5P_O5kk

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

BeAuMaN posted:

Napalm is much more effective than chem for basically the same purpose. Chuck it near a wall and watch them melt.

And yes Extended mags affects the grenade launcher AND the rocket launcher. 6 rounds and three rockets? Naw, try 9 and 4. Its free extra ammo.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I've unlocked gas nades on Operator and yeah they're great. Did a bug patrol mission where I got credit for about half the bugs despite being dead because of one value grenade. As mentioned great for clearing a wall segment for a minute so you can get in and repair it.

Wandered out of base alone to an objective and managed to kill 95% of a bug ambush by dumping a gas grenade between my player and the bugs. Just had to tap the last few bugs as they crawled out. Then died to the gunner behind the gas cloud I couldn't see. :v:

Gas grenade is way better than the basic grenade overall, much easier to use too. I imagine napalm is the same way

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I've been playing as an Assault for 16 levels and will eventually get around to playing the other two classes. Grenade perk + extra mags though I may consider swapping out extra mags for melee armor perk. I'm absolutely in love with the Scan beacons after having just unlocked them, you get 3 to put down, they have a significant AOE and last forever. And highlighted enemies take so much more damage that it's nuts, I wouldn't be surprised if it was +100% damage taken. Def gonna be my main utility from now on.

Combine the scan + chem nades and bugs will die trying to run through the gas it's pretty crazy.

Drakenel posted:

We definitely need to grab a recording of the barrel melee next time we play. It's so dumb and I love it in a 'I did not legitimately think this would work.' way.

You just had to ask!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/167054916848844810/1108577492828180541/canister_deez_bugs.mp4

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Well that's good to know about gas and napalm nades. I get gas nades next level.

GruntyThrst posted:

Extra mags does effect rocket launcher, the description is wrong. Magazine size does too, so you can load a magazine that clearly shows 3 rockets and fire 4 :v:

Drakenel posted:

And yes Extended mags affects the grenade launcher AND the rocket launcher. 6 rounds and three rockets? Naw, try 9 and 4. Its free extra ammo.
:sickos:

Need that extendo mag unlock to replace extra mags. With 9 shots of nade launcher that'll improve survivability a lot.

I also use the heavy pistol since stunning instead of just staggering seems incredibly useful.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Evil Kit posted:

And highlighted enemies take so much more damage that it's nuts, I wouldn't be surprised if it was +100% damage taken.
If it's the same as scan grenades, it is double damage:

I haven't tried scan grenades yet since landing a grenade to get a temporary blast of highlighting paint doesn't sound that great, but the beacons I've seen in action and they seem pretty boss.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Scan grenades are actually a solid early unlock - you can use them to see bugs through smoke/dust clouds that are pretty common when you get a swarm spawning on you at a refinery or other objective. They don't last super long but long enough to get through a wave or two.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Scan grenades are actually a solid early unlock - you can use them to see bugs through smoke/dust clouds that are pretty common when you get a swarm spawning on you at a refinery or other objective. They don't last super long but long enough to get through a wave or two.

Yeah, having tried them out now, they last uh.... 15 seconds? Which is pretty good with grenade regen. The way it's described I thought it would be a burst and then highlight, but it's basically a throwable beacon, but with shorter duration. It ends up seeing through smoke/dust clouds becomes useful for Operator because of all the nade launcher spam :v: Those huge clouds!

Chem nades unlocked going to try those after work.

So here's the question: On Normal, hitting warrior bugs with nade launcher. Not the ground, but hitting them: Sometimes they get deleted by eating a grenade launcher round, other times it takes 2 because they still have health. Has anyone figured out anything on damage yet? Are they not always being insta-killed because of randomized projectile damage? Or do they have weakpoints (i.e. maybe the nade hit the claw)? Or do they do something where the game measures the explosion point and the splash distance to determine damage taken, and hitting them on the claw causes less of the explosion to cover them, so they take less damage?

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 22, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So, the health drone will heal as well as revive? It heals on intervals? I don't understand it's uptime, the timer is duration, not cooldown?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jack B Nimble posted:

So, the health drone will heal as well as revive? It heals on intervals? I don't understand it's uptime, the timer is duration, not cooldown?

Playing with it and asking around I believe it's out for the length of the cooldown or three revives. It doesn't heal but it can seem like it is because it sprays green smoke everywhere during fights because people are getting downed around you.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Once it's used up, it comes back on a cool down?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Once it's used up, it comes back on a cool down?

Yeah, I think it's a three minute cooldown, but that starts when you take it out. So if you don't use the three charges in the time period then you can just pull it out again.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ooooooh, that's the cooldown starting as soon as I use it, gotcha, thank you.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

It's one of the things I think will get changed quite quickly in EA. Between the stim packs giving a full heal on use (their description says 30 HP compared to the 90 on the med station so I don't think it's intentional) and the fact you revive yourself with the drone if you get downed while it's already active, I've survived several escapes at the end of veteran ARC mode by just activating my drone and then running through the horde chugging stims. If the bugs hit you from behind they tend you knock you out of their range for a moment, and getting downed breaks aggro, so it works much better than it should.

I think evac in general is going to get a good amount of tweaking though, it's kind of sad seeing all the Hunters sprint away and never look back as soon as the dropship arrives while all the Bastions left behind get chewed up. Then stand in front of the doors farming bugs for another couple of minutes just to rub it in.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What I personally do Is run to the drop ship asap, but then turn and try to fight my way all the way back to the furthest person.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I said it once and I'll say it again. To those sitting on the ramps or outside trying to farm bugs, threaten to shoot them if they don't get in. And if they don't, make good on that threat before they can figure out where you are in the ship.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Scikar posted:

I think evac in general is going to get a good amount of tweaking though, it's kind of sad seeing all the Hunters sprint away and never look back as soon as the dropship arrives while all the Bastions left behind get chewed up. Then stand in front of the doors farming bugs for another couple of minutes just to rub it in.

Imo the people in the situation above that are loving up are the heavy weapons. The endgame is such a swarm of bugs that there really is no shooting your way out. You need to create distance and get to a better position before you can turn around and start helping others by clearing their way. Ideally hunters should be jumping to rooftops to shoot and operators should be following bastions as they LMG a hole in the swarm while on the move. If you hunker down and try to start clearing space in a circle around you then you're just going to get encircled yourself. Granted, the hunters should be on rooftops near other troopers and not shooting from the ramp, which is where improvement is needed.

People are getting better about making sure everyone makes it because they learned that you get XP for *total* extracted and not just you, but ultimately some people are just going to be out of position and die.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I don't mean Bastions bunker up in the base when the dropship is coming, most of the time they are going to be trying to run just like everyone else. But if the bugs target them, they don't exactly have a get out of jail free card. I didn't realise that the total making it counts for XP though, so maybe just that being more visible will get Hunters to be more willing to help the others out (knowing they can most likely break contact afterwards).

I think mostly I'm just curious what direction they go with and how it pans out. DRG quite cleverly solves things like this by having a button that literally makes your character say "leave no dwarf behind!" and people happily mash it all game. It's not really the Mobile Infantry vibe without someone becoming unlucky bug food though, but at the same time it's not entirely every man for himself either.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Like with most things in this game (other than advancing into grenadiers), if you are evacing together in a group it's not actually that rough.

Getting to the boat unmolested because you can hop a bunch of terrain/run faster than everyone else isn't very helpful. Hopping up to high ground and shooting poo poo off your slower teammates as they pass under you and then catching up with them again is.

My latest approach to evac as an operator is to spam grenade launcher at hordes and plant a path of scan beacons to make it easier for other people to help pick stuff off while praying medibot saves me and anyone else unlucky enough to get cut off in the parade.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Playing with it and asking around I believe it's out for the length of the cooldown or three revives. It doesn't heal but it can seem like it is because it sprays green smoke everywhere during fights because people are getting downed around you.
It absolutely does heal, but it's not instant or constant. The other reason to not have it out all the time is that when your bring it out it insta-revives anyone in the area without counting it against your 3 revives. I typically don't have it running until someone dies or I know I'm about to get into poo poo and want to be able to self revive.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Scikar posted:

I didn't realise that the total making it counts for XP though, so maybe just that being more visible will get Hunters to be more willing to help the others out (knowing they can most likely break contact afterwards)

afaik getting everyone out gives you just as much or more xp than the mission bonus. I think ACS had a base of 450 xp (normal), and then getting out all 16 gave out 500xp.

Part of what could improve this is showing what xp was missed out. If they didn't get the bonus for getting the whole team out, then it should show 0/500xp. Or if there's a reduced bonus for losing one, then 400/500 or something like that.

Also once everyone is in the exit craft and once it counts the total that exited, I don't think it matters if you drop off the side of the exit craft (i.e. by standing too close to the bay door)

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Chem grenades seem to have a slowdown effect as well as DoT so they are very good.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

GruntyThrst posted:

Chem grenades seem to have a slowdown effect as well as DoT so they are very good.
Yeah I noticed that too. Not sure if that's a different slow effect or a stagger effect.

Having unlocked all the grenades and trying them more, at least for Operator, grenade ranking goes:

Chem -> Scan -> Napalm -> Frag

Chem not only has damage over time but also slow. Bugs generally pretend it isn't there.
Scan gives everyone double damage; duration is 15 seconds or something. Bugs generally pretend it isn't there.
Napalm is the most visible, however I find it unreliable. It's supposed to be area denial, but the way it spreads the "ring" of napalm is unpredictable, and it's small ring. Unless it's a really tight choke point bugs will go around it. Sometimes the flames spread in a way where they'll go between them. Whatever damage fire does to bugs isn't super compelling compared to say Chem. Another issue is Napalm is supposed to last 60 seconds... either it doesn't last 60 seconds, or if the individual napalm fires set a bug on fire then they snuff out.
Frag's damage seems kinda mediocre; 3s Fuse is a pain in the rear end for bugs.

The other issue is the time it takes to arm and throw the grenades. Frag grenades, on top of the 3s fuse, have to deal with that. You can't just whip it out if you see close mob of bugs rushing towards you. This makes grenades mostly useful on defense with the walls, or for throwing out on a planned escape.

Other random things:
Melee doesn't seem to interrupt reload.
Both resource canisters and ammo fabricators (likely med stations too) are destroyable by friendly fire.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 23, 2023

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Frag is still better than the "High Explosive" sticky grenade the Bastion gets.

Mainly because frag clears a large area if you get a good grenade while the HighEx is for sticking onto a single high-value target. Basically the Tiger since the Gunner will murder you if you try to get near it.

Also it suffers from the same "takes about five years to throw" issue that the frag does.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Alkydere posted:

Mainly because frag clears a large area if you get a good grenade while the HighEx is for sticking onto a single high-value target. Basically the Tiger since the Gunner will murder you if you try to get near it.

Also it suffers from the same "takes about five years to throw" issue that the frag does.

Assaults eventually get the HiEx as well, I think it's for tigers and grenediars yeah. Shame to hear it's a smaller explosion.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'll have to see what Bastion's options are. Done maxing Operator.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

What do people typically run for weapons on Hunter? The scoped battle rifle? I've been shying away from the carbine but the assault rifle is so pitiful that it really can't protect you at all from warrior bugs unless they're far away. It's not bad for being in cities where you can jet to higher terrain but for objectives on flat terrain it just doesn't have any stopping power. Is it just a matter of you shouldn't be on the frontline to begin with, instead should be doing overwatch?

I'm trying to push the class a bit because I just run operator like everyone else and want to diversify.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 23, 2023

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Alkydere posted:

Hopefully we'll see Tanker bugs (and perhaps some of the beefier threats from the recent RTS game) in the future to get some "Dizzy" moments out of the sticky bomb.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I've been bouncing between carbine and DMR, either works imo on Normal as you're gonna ditch your sidearm for a Rocket Launcher asap and that's your real workhorse weapon.

DMR in a vacuum feels better, but as soon as you get scan beacons the carbine feels a lot better to use. Much better for holding a group of bugs off you when you're stuck on the same plane and a faster reload + x2 damage really makes the carbine feel great. DMR is better when you can hold the high ground and for dealing with gunners and grenediars at range before you get a rocket launcher.

But seriously, Scan Beacons are amazing and you can put them in some dangerous places since you have a jet pack.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I Love scan grenades, they have a meta benefit in that they'll get attention on your target in the middle of chaos. Bugs on the loose in a breached wall section and you're the only one at ground zero? Huck a scanner, gunfire will begin raining in from off screen.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Gonna be honest Scan grenades seem like a waste when the beacons exist. I'd rather an area denial grenade (chem preferred since napalm is so finicky) and scan beacons. The latter lasts so long you'll probably be out of ammo by the time they expire.

Also grenade perk rules imo, I wish all grenades had the perk provided CD by default tbh. Make a more interesting perk around it instead.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Anyone else getting a bug where Bastion loves to lose the loadout between game restarts?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

BeAuMaN posted:

Anyone else getting a bug where Bastion loves to lose the loadout between game restarts?

it's all the classes, not just bastion no? I have to re-choose my loadout every time I load up as Assault. Dunno about Operator I suppose.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Evil Kit posted:

it's all the classes, not just bastion no? I have to re-choose my loadout every time I load up as Assault. Dunno about Operator I suppose.
Operator never has this problem; seems to be the only one not affected reading up more on it.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

You don't get XP for troopers extracted if you're dead at the end of the round which needs to change.

Edit: to clarify, people who are dead don't get the bonus XP.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
So my group and I have moved on to mostly playing arc mode on hard, and have noticed that pubbies seem to have an irrational fear of gathering gas reinforced through groupthink, even though on that mode and difficulty the clock is ticking on danger levels and it's only a matter of time till 5 since exterminations pop up so fast and you just can't get them all.
We've let it play out a few times to see where it goes and it usually ends up with getting spawncamped in with grenadiers wiping the team and killing the arc, or otherwise an hour+ slog.
They seem to want a maze of walls across the entire build zone, rather than a compact base with 4 turrets and good sightlines where the whole team can shift firing arcs quickly