Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

It's not anything new, but in recent years it seems like even the pretense of accepting (nonwhite) asylum seekers/refugees has been dropped in the west.

Recently the US has essentially made it impossible to seek asylum in the country.

https://twitter.com/SecMayorkas/status/1656871849244884992

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

joe biden is bad and americans are demons

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Thought this was gonna be a shitpost thread but it's real.

Biden has unironically been as awful if not worse than trump on this but since the liberals believe he's this paragon of virtue - there is drat near no opposition to it besides the already dwindled left in america. And of course, the right continues to operate on vibes and screams that he's just letting in everyone and giving them all the welfare that white people can't get anymore.

It's loving awful and people's reaction to Ukrainian refugees compared to Syrian or Yemeni refugees proves that it's only going to get more popular to close the door to non whites in the west.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

under joey b's immigration policies we had some family friends who have had the mom of their kid of on constant dialysis deported by ice multiple times. the dad is a citizen and veteran but he can't get the mom her green card due to a previous history of getting arrested by racist cops for nothing. the dad recently passed away and now the mom and her kid are basically hosed. she just got deported again and will probably knowingly walk into a concentration camp just to try to get back to her kid.

basically gently caress joe biden and everyone who has ever supported him for any reason

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
for every asylum seeker fleeing to the US a random American should be thrown into the ocean and their home handed over

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
every person who works for the department of homeland security in any capacity should be killed

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/SecMayorkas/status/1656871852218646528

just slipping in "thousands of troops and contractors" because in USA 2023 the military's official and privatized wings are blurring ever more

The future is Blackwater grunts murdering desperate people at national borders

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

speng31b posted:

joe biden is bad and americans are demons

Yeah just seems like a worsening of already horrific possibilities.

I don’t think it’s limited to the US though. The UK is trying to send asylum seekers to Rwanda.

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-61782866.amp

Also it came out recently that Croatian border guards had a special group for documenting the things they were doing to migrants.

https://www.lighthousereports.com/investigation/inside-croatias-secret-whatsapp-group/

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

my bony fealty posted:

https://twitter.com/SecMayorkas/status/1656871852218646528

just slipping in "thousands of troops and contractors" because in USA 2023 the military's official and privatized wings are blurring ever more

Something unmentioned in all this is that they recently classified anyone who dealt with the cartels as a criminal. So if you had to pay a mule or were forced to pay you’re now no longer eligible for asylum.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I have a feeling in the next few years we're going to see pieces of the UN declaration of human rights dealing with refugees go away.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I have a feeling in the next few years we're going to see pieces of the UN declaration of human rights dealing with refugees go away.

I don't know if it will be that formal. The West will still want to be able to use "refugee crisis" as an excuse to meddle in other countries' business, they'll just come up with more elaborate bullshit to explain away their own refugee problems.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Also not exclusive to the west, I somehow have memory holed the CAA in India, and the rohingyas fleeing from persecution.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/8/25/its-a-nightmare-every-day-crackdown-on-rohingyas-in-india

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

redneck nazgul posted:

I don't know if it will be that formal. The West will still want to be able to use "refugee crisis" as an excuse to meddle in other countries' business, they'll just come up with more elaborate bullshit to explain away their own refugee problems.

I think they'll just vote them away, or you'll just slowly see them vanish without them putting out a notice. It's not that many people care or notice anyways, lol.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
it's very funny because the usa, europe, and even china are all facing serious demographic crises with respect to a rapidly aging population that requires a ton of young workers to support programs like old age pensions. in the us iirc it's going to be something like 1 worker for every 3 elderly people.

a much more open immigration policy alone isn't enough but it's going to be a lot worse without it.

and this has been known for at least 30 years. it's been easier to address and less costly than climate change but they kicked the can down the road so much you end up with poo poo like macron pushing through incredibly unpopular legislation so that there will be enough working people down the road.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

its all so exceedingly grim, the massive and unnecessary suffering we put people through for the crime of wanting a better life

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

its all so exceedingly grim, the massive and unnecessary suffering we put people through for the crime of wanting a better life

yeah, a lot of american politicians should probably stand trial for crimes against humanity and be punished accordingly

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

:kamala:

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

are we still running literal child concentration camps or did that one picture of aoc crying fix all that

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

speng31b posted:

yeah, a lot of american politicians should probably stand trial for crimes against humanity and be punished accordingly

yeah. causing the destruction of people's homes and families therby forcing people to seek out a new home and then setting up a trap for them at the border to continue their immiseration is incredibly evil

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

are we still running literal child concentration camps

yes, and an 8 year old girl recently died in custody

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

my bony fealty posted:

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
America may just be moving beyond a 50 year stagnation and finally hitting a full-on decline. The supreme court is packed and its not even an issue on the floor.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
It's insanely hosed how these people's labor and baseline level of humanity are exploited by capital for pennies on the dollar. Obviously this isn't exclusive to this country, but still. Infuriates me to no end when I hear some liberal talk about "well someone needs to pick the food and do the dirty work" as a pro-migrant argument

really queer Christmas posted:

It's loving awful and people's reaction to Ukrainian refugees compared to Syrian or Yemeni refugees proves that it's only going to get more popular to close the door to non whites in the west.

Yeah I dont see this going anywhere pleasant in the future.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

The American immigration system is bad enough even for legal immigrants. The USCIS bureaucracy is slow, arbitrary and punishing. I went through the green card process myself and at one point received a "your work authorization is immediately revoked, you need to get out within 2 weeks" deportation notice for a mistake that the USCIS processing office made. What's worse is when you look into it this type of situation is not a rare occurrence at all!

Obviously the situation is much much worse for asylum seekers and "illegal" immigrants. For example right now the US is openly warning of expanding the use of "expedited removal" (this is related to the Mayorkas tweet in the first post):

quote:

Expedited removal' explained: US will fast track deportations after Title 42 ends
May 11 2023

The U.S. government is set to expand a fast-track deportation process as part of its enforcement strategy along the U.S.-Mexico border now that Title 42 is no longer in place. The controversial pandemic-era health rule expired on Thursday after more than three years that allowed U.S. border officials to turn away more than 2.7 million migrants.

The fast-track process is known as expedited removal. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security says it will increase the use of expedited removal after Title 42 ends on Thursday. It enables U.S. immigration officials to rapidly deport migrants that they determine do not qualify for asylum or other forms of relief that would allow them to remain in the United States.
The people they deem ineligible for protection in the U.S. will now be removed from the country swiftly under expedited removal, a process that takes much less than the four years it takes on average to deport someone under the standard proceedings before an immigration judge. With expedited removal, people can be deported from the U.S. in a matter of days if they can be sent to Mexico or weeks if they are returned to other countries farther away.

The process is not without criticism. Migrant and legal advocates are concerned about the speed with which migrants will be deported from the country, claiming it may violate their rights to due process and unfairly send them back to danger.
There is no due process with expedited removal, a USCIS official can decide to deport someone without judicial review. It's bullshit.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

As someone in Australia I've gotten serious deja vu watching America demonise immigrants. The switch from Trump era "here's why immigrant concentration camps are good" to Biden era just pretending they don't exist mirrors what happened in Australia after the Howard government lost the 2007 election. Not that America started treating immigrants like poo poo recently. But the PR used to justify it seems to be about a decade behind what Australia has done.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

As someone in Australia I've gotten serious deja vu watching America demonise immigrants. The switch from Trump era "here's why immigrant concentration camps are good" to Biden era just pretending they don't exist mirrors what happened in Australia after the Howard government lost the 2007 election. Not that America started treating immigrants like poo poo recently. But the PR used to justify it seems to be about a decade behind what Australia has done.

but then you guys developed a culture of political responsibility and basic human empathy and started treating people like people, right

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
they could just like do an immigration bill maybe but idk I'm not political scientist

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
lol they used Stephen Miller to take the heat for introducing the new policies and then did nothing to reverse them

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

State Dept is evil and hosed up. They essentially have blanket immunity to reject any visa requests. Are you an american person or business who needs foreigners to come here, well gently caress you! Want to be with your partner, gently caress you! They did lose a recent case in 3rd district appeals court where they rejected an American's husband because his tattoos looked like gang tattoos and they lied about it. That took like 5 or so years to get through the courts. https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/us-must-face-lawsuit-over-denying-visa-alleged-gang-member-court-2022-10-05/. Otherwise no one else wants to risk their visa work for a court trial. It's a rigged system.

Biden also looked the other way as USCIS processing times got twice as bad as Trump. 90 day fiancee is horseshit. It takes about 2 years to get a fiancee here even though the admin just started reacting 6 months ago.

guidoanselmi has issued a correction as of 22:12 on May 19, 2023

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

guidoanselmi posted:

State Dept is evil and hosed up. They essentially have blanket immunity to reject any visa requests. Are you an american person or business who needs foreigners to come here, well gently caress you! Want to be with your partner, gently caress you! They did lose a recent case in 3rd district appeals court where they rejected an American's husband because his tattoos looked like gang tattoos and they lied about it. That took like 5 or so years to get through the courts. https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/us-must-face-lawsuit-over-denying-visa-alleged-gang-member-court-2022-10-05/. Otherwise no one else wants to risk their visa work for a court trial. It's a rigged system.

You just reminded me that the government can come after you too if you served in the army in a nation we consider hostile, even if it was under mandatory conscription.

https://theintercept.com/2022/04/06/iran-terrorist-watchlist-travel-irgc/

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

There is so much abuse and exploitation that happens under the visa system too. Completely ignoring all the Americans who go overseas to find a child bride.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/teachers-face-deportation-years-after-garland-isd-visa-scam/248078/

https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinion/readers-respond/bs-ed-visas-teachers-20110615-story.html

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

but then you guys developed a culture of political responsibility and basic human empathy and started treating people like people, right

well back when Johnny Depp and Amber Heard were still together the government threatened to kill their dogs and forced them to film an ISIS style hostage video to get them to not do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2BDtdkyxFk

that kind of set the tone for where the country is today

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

How did the Soviet Union handle immigration? I have heard tons about people moving from the various Soviets but never from other countries.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Go home, whitey!

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

guidoanselmi posted:

Biden also looked the other way as USCIS processing times got twice as bad as Trump. 90 day fiancee is horseshit. It takes about 2 years to get a fiancee here even though the admin just started reacting 6 months ago.

USCIS processing times are a joke. Employment authorization documents (EADs) have to be renewed annually and you can't apply for a new one until 180 days before the expiration date. Nominally the processing time is 60-90 days, in practice the average wait time was over 8 months. You could file as early as possible and still not get the renewal before your authorization expired. Guess you just can't work! I guess it got so ridiculous that they implemented the 180 day automatic extension, which was then recently updated to 540 days:

quote:

USCIS Issues New Rule On Employment Authorization
May 3, 2022,04:19pm EDT

A new rule aims to prevent individuals from being forced to leave their jobs because of long delays in the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) processing of employment authorization documents (EADs). The rule is a welcomed temporary fix for those who faced lost employment.

What Does The New Rule Do? According to the USCIS regulation, “This rule temporarily amends existing Department of Homeland Security (DHS) regulations to provide that the automatic extension period applicable to expiring Employment Authorization Documents (Forms I-766 or EADs) for certain renewal applicants who have filed Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, will be increased from up to 180 days to up to 540 days from the expiration date stated on their EADs.
What Is the Impact Of The Rule On People With EAD Renewals? Attorneys and their clients are pleased with the USCIS action. “The rule is welcome news for many people with pending EAD renewals, or who will be filing renewals soon,” said Kevin Miner of Fragomen in an interview. “Current processing times are so slow that even when applicants file for renewal as far in advance as allowed, they still are at risk of having a gap in work authorization. For many of those applicants, extension of the automatic extension to 540 days will solve this problem. However, it doesn’t solve this problem for all EAD holders. H-4 EAD holders, for instance, are still limited to an automatic extension only until their existing H-4 I-94 expires, and since H-4 status renewal processing times are also incredibly long those individuals still run a significant risk of running out of work authorization even with this new rule.”
It's good that they provided this extension, but the basic situation is still that an application that should be approved within 90 days is taking well over a year for USCIS to process.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
im a no borders and 1-step path to citizenship guy. sorry border freaks but there's literally no reason to keep people out of the united states who have been forced out of their home countries by the united states

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i think denmark also has a extremely evil and vile immigration system as well where they actually made a law thats its good and ok to steal refugees belongings then deport them

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
borders are fascist they segregate people and keep them in a permanent state of exploitation and are maintained with violence

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

well back when Johnny Depp and Amber Heard were still together the government threatened to kill their dogs and forced them to film an ISIS style hostage video to get them to not do it

that kind of set the tone for where the country is today

Australia does a lot of hosed up poo poo around immigration but requiring dogs coming from countries with rabies to undergo 10 days of quarantine even if their owners are rich and famous is not one of them. They have a large and longstanding population of somewhat protected feral dogs and rabies could potentially devastate it.

IMO the Pacific Solution, where illegal migrants are detained outside of Australian territory so that Australian law does not apply, was the real change in tone, although it was hardly great before then. It began in 2001.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1658833668100505602