Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Death By The Blues posted:

That story is horrifying but Europe will not care, they will only allow in the ones who are "educated" rich and accustomed to "western values" and will tell them just stay in the rural parts of Eastern Europe and develop a new culture and identity there.
I think it's what you're getting at with the quotes but even being a high level professional often doesn't help you. My wife has been in the US almost long enough her visa could vote, went to grad school here for her masters and PhD and is a tenured prof at a big state university, she visited family last summer and ended up staying for longer than initially intended because she needed surgery and post care, her extended trip tripped some flags in immigration and when she came through the airport got whisked away into backrooms for several hours without a right to contact anyone. It was terrifying because I was picking her up and last I heard she was on her way through customs and then just radio silenece for 3 hrs, I was worried she had collapsed or something because she was still recovering from a major surgery and tried calling around the airport and absolutely couldn't get any information. The whole process was inhumane, apparently they were threatening to not let her through at all and it's just like why wouldn't you let her keep her husband in the loop or such you've just terrorized a family for seemingly no reason. Not that it would justify the treatment either way but she's not even from a country we would consider dangerous or hostile, it's a close US ally we make a big show of liking/supporting to piss off countries we don't like.

She's fortunately been here long enough she's on her final steps to getting citizenship (through work) so hopefully she'll never have to deal with that poo poo again but it's just exhausting. She's one of the "good" ones, she's been here legally the whole time, financially self sufficient with a stable career in a field we're short on people, owns property (to live in obviously), getting her citizenship through employment sponsorship, checks basically all the boxes economically, legally, demographically for an ideal immigrant candidate and she still gets treated like trash by the system. It's a wonder she puts up with at all to be here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU