Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Current Episode

About the Game

Dishonored is a 2012 action-adventure game developed by Arkane Studios. Set in a fictional steampunk-ish dystopia of Dunwall, the game follows Corvo Attano, Bodyguard to the Empress as he fights to clear his name of a crime he didn't commit.

Played in first person, Dishonored is Arkane's first game under the wing of publisher Bethesda Softworks. It takes the form of a stealth 'em up, taking inspiration from games like Thief where the use of lighting and shadows are often key to his success. Much of the game's dialogue and lore comes through incidental dialogue that NPCs might say in front of a hidden Corvo.

That being said, Dishonored is also a game about respecting the player's choices, at least from a gameplay perspective. Corvo can choose to take down his enemies subtley, giving away little, and has the option to spare or murder his foes, but equally he's given enough power to take a much louder approach, gleefully murdering his enemies in broad daylight.

The approach leads to stages that feel like playgrounds for the player to explore and encourage deeper and further exploration as the secrets of Dunwall reveal themselves.

When I played Dishonored years ago, I really managed to feel embedded within that world, the fun of the gameplay carrying me through to a deep level of investment in the series and the characters. Unsurprisingly this is something that Arkane wanted to evoke with their big return to the world of gaming following Dark Messiah of Might and Magic more than half a decade earlier.

So with that we come to our guinea pig uhh, star.

Yorkshire Tea has never played Dishonored and last I checked the most advanced PC game he'd played was Team Fortress 2, or that time I forced him to play Bioshock. But he is a huge fan of Metal Gear Solid and other stealth games, taking a huge degree of pride in beating the aforementioned game on the hardest difficulties.

How will he react to Dunwall? Will he choose stealth? Will he choose violence?

We can only watch and find out!

About the LP

This is a blind LP. Tea will play through the game with yours truly as his guide in the world of Dunwall. My own memory of the game is a little vague, so sometimes he will be left to his own devices, but fret not, I'll not let him stay stuck in one place for long.

Episodes will release on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 11pm BST, 6pm EST (or as close to that as I can manage) with cheeky Patreon early episodes for those who are really invested.

Art and banners, will, as ever, be handled by the amazing Bifauxnen.

Episodes

Links

Our Patreon! - In case you want to support our LPs and see episodes early! (Incidentally this is also the only place where I can actually time video releases, so if I need to delay posting a video here, it will show up on Patreon on its own.)

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Kangra posted:

Oh, this promises to be some fun already. Curious to see the ratio of people with removed body parts to people distracted by same.

(Also of note, the 'definitive edition' [includes DLC and pre-order content] is currently on a two-day sale for $5 at GoG, and the complete pack with Dishonored 2 is similarly discounted.)

I uhh, missed it because I'm a moron.

achtungnight posted:

Good luck with this game to our players, especially Tea. I will be watching. I hope if you like this game and have the ability, you will play the sequels too.

I'm a huge fan of the sequel personally so I do hope Tea has a good time and we can get to it.

anilEhilated posted:

Gotta love Geoff's sophisticated method of preventing Corvo from arriving in time, even if it didn't work.

Hey it almost bloody worked. Seriously I playtested the game before we started and not once did anything like this happen. (Or hide and seek bugging out)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

achtungnight posted:

You know, I have enjoyed another game where severed heads can appear in your inventory- Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. In that game, they're pretty much dead weight, though, only there to clue you in to a character's personal side quest. You can't really do anything specific with them. Maybe the developers of WotR should have played Dishonored more and gotten some better ideas. Corvo makes excellent use of severed heads as distractions, attractors, improvised weapons. They're not useless after all!

That was something that frustrated me about this game's murder vs stealth thing. Such a low threshold standard, so easy to get stuck, screw up trying to stay stealthy. You get caught up in a moment where a massacre becomes necessary to survive, you will lose out on the stealth ending. Lots of save-scumming was needed for this player to get the stealth ending, and in the final analysis, I didn't care to achieve it myself. I had LPs for that. May be more preferable for new players to go for a murder ending. But let the player decide!

Yeah my experience of the game was to save and reload a lot if I got caught. I feel like the options for getting out of danger if you fall into it are relatively limited in this game.

But also wrecking everyone when you're in danger is also part of the fun!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 04 - The Hound Pits Pub

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah like what have the rats done? They've eaten corpses and live people, but eh, people probably deserve it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

anilEhilated posted:

From the perspective of someone who did perfect stealth no-kill runs of the whole series...
...This is bloody hilarious.

The next few recordings had me struggling not to cackle for the entire thing.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

berryjon posted:

I wonder if, given Tea's... trajectory in this game, if you're planning on doing a second run to see the other side of things.

I don't think we'll do a second run but I will show Tea the ending he doesn't get since I've some old save files that I can appropriate for it.

EricFate posted:

I wonder if Tea will ever remember that there is a method available to easily distract the guards -- one that was demonstrated in one of the earliest tutorials, before the Overseer powers were even a thing. One that doesn't involve flinging a severed human head into the room.

Judging from his play so far.

No, no he will not.

Nor will I remind him because severed head strats are the new Dishonored hotness.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 11 - Weepers

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski posted:

Oh these games are nowhere near THAT bad.

I still enjoy how much of Bloodborne was lost on me because:

"Yes, I've been to St. Pauls Bloodborne. No, this is nowhere near as bad."

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Hey there's going to be probably a week's delay on the next set of episodes as Tea and I haven't been able to record for a little bit.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

I'm so sorry for the delay everyone. The Jubilee line has plotted against Tea and I but I hope we're back on our regularly scheduled programming now!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

tme posted:

I would hope so.

On another note, I am all caught up with the LP, nice work guys. Are you pre-recording and then releasing? I'm a new Patron, but missed my name in the credits.

Hey! We prerecord a lot and release. Getting your name in the credits will take a bit of time because that font is secretly a huge pain to work with (it's actually two fonts overlayed on each other) and I need an afternoon to sit down and adjust the format.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

berryjon posted:

So, with those Tesla Coils.... Command and Conquer: Red Alert: Dishonored (with Corvo as a hero unit that's a Commando equivalent) when?

And your conversation about the Outsider and how he appears to interesting people.... does this mean Corvo doesn't have any friends either?

Corvo has friends!

They're just a traumatised 13 year old and a heart wrapped in wires.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOlttqsXhzM

Pictures will be up shortly!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Some of it is definitely the controller.

A lot of it is Tea and his reaction to any panic situation.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM_Z-WsFAs4

Art will be up shortly!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Another break for a bit everyone. Tea has been dealing with interviews and university exams so hasn't been able to make it over in a little while!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2ILGlWRqqs

Art will be up shortly!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

I don't believe Tea has ever played Hitman, no.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.