Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Gotta love Geoff's sophisticated method of preventing Corvo from arriving in time, even if it didn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, you got me, reinstalling right now.

Severed heads - what can't they do?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"But I only killed fourteen people!"

Dunwall is doomed.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

achtungnight posted:

That was something that frustrated me about this game's murder vs stealth thing. Such a low threshold standard, so easy to get stuck, screw up trying to stay stealthy. You get caught up in a moment where a massacre becomes necessary to survive, you will lose out on the stealth ending. Lots of save-scumming was needed for this player to get the stealth ending, and in the final analysis, I didn't care to achieve it myself. I had LPs for that. May be more preferable for new players to go for a murder ending. But let the player decide!
Honestly, my current playthrough's MO is just "have fun with Corvo's abilities" and despite all the windblasting, whale oil tank juggling, and turning extremely lethal security devices against enemies, not to mention all the explosions, I'm somehow still low chaos. You just need to be a bit more careful - I'm really looking forward to what Tea can cook up once he gets access to Corvo' full arsenal. If I had a complaint, it would be that Corvo is a bit too good at combat, making it easy to overlook the game's many, many alternative solutions and pathways.

e: I'm also firmly convinced that the high chaos final level is a lot more fun.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 26, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

resurgam40 posted:

And drat, is this game good at giving you people who deserve it.
Having a setting that evokes late British Empire (colonial power, brutal capitalism, a powerful nobility completely detached from realities of life) tends to do that.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 26, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You definitely can murder the loyalists. It results in a game over, though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Combine similarity Tea mentions is not accidental - Dishonored's visual design director, Viktor Antonov, worked in the same capacity on Half-life 2 (and apparently also... Redneck Rampage?).

And yes, that is Geoff you're supposed to save.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 30, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Dishonored has some oddly high-profile voice talent involved in it and here we meet our what I think is the most obvious example: Granny Rags? Susan Sarandon.

Anyway, reclaiming Dunwall for the rats is a noble goal.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 1, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
From the perspective of someone who did perfect stealth no-kill runs of the whole series...
...This is bloody hilarious.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 3, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's rats for you: no sense of long-term planning.

e: There actually is another way past the too-quickly-closing door, but it involves the bane of gamers everywhere: looking up.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 6, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Geoff isn't surviving the night, is he.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

It's not MY fault, it's just that when stealth fails these games make it very difficult (if possible at all) to get it back again.
Not really, you just chain blink backwards - the guards have trouble keeping up.

That being said, I firmly believe that the mark of a great stealth game is that it gets even more fun once you mess up and things start spiraling out of control. Dishonored is great about that, so is MGSV.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think the logic behind Geoff's death is that if they find his unconscious body next to Campbell's, they'll execute him just to be sure. Oh well, he had it coming since video 1.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There are no innocents in Dunwall. Or at least that's what Corvo keeps telling himself.
It doesn't help him sleep.

e:
Tea, after getting a civilian killed: I feel really bad about this.
Tea, about ten seconds later: <casts Devouring Swarm>

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 17, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Assassin's Code: original unabridged updated revised convenient edition (TM): It's just a bunch of suggestions, really!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's a second part to vertical navigation that Nat and Tea are missing and that is the Agility passive power, which about triples your jump height.

e: There's also a lot of vertical paths you can access by just climbing furniture or architecture. Most of those levels are very well designed and reward thorough exploration, which sadly doesn't really work for the format of blind LP.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 4, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It should be noted that the non-lethal ways of disposing of the targets can get rather horrific, although with this one in particular - Slackjaw sends the Pendletons to work in their own stone mines after disfiguring their faces and cutting out their tongues - it feels pretty drat deserved.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 7, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The concept of "jumping towards the platform" is sure to revolutionize gameplay.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The part with Tea climbing the tower over and over fully deserves a Yakety Sax accompaniment.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's a bit of a shame Tea doesn't really experiment with his tools. Considering his playstyle seems to involve a lot of running away after being discovered, I'd imagine he would have plenty of fun with springrazors.

Also "I was trying to do it the humane way! With explosives!"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, we certainly know where Tea is on the fight or flight scale.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this is my favorite mission in the game. The scenario is quite literally The Masque of Red Death... and you get to be the reaper.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Soo... Given his stealth style, has Tea ever played any of the Hitman games? Because that could be quite a revelation for him.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was laughing throughout that whole fight in front of the Tower.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just -ZAP- gotta -ZAP- get down these -ZAP- stairs -SIZZLE-

Something about this game is melting down Tea's brain and it is amazing.

e: Shame we didn't get to siege Burrows' panic room, that's one of the few actually challenging parts of the game especially if you're trying to ghost it.

e: Honestly kinda surprised you managed this long without a Top Gear reference.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 17, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It isn't. Tea did the low chaos solution, you just grab the record from his room and play it from the top of the tower. He just forgot he rewired the wall.

e: Unless there's an alternative low chaos solution I'm unaware of?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that whole fight was really weird. After 4+ playthroughs, I didn't even know he could bend time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This mission is honestly the best reason for going High Chaos - on Low, you get a perfectly orderly set of defenses that is actually really simple to sneak past once you get through the initial set of defenses. The infighting makes for a much more interesting setup.

It's a shame this mission area is so small, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I like how you added tension to the otherwise very bland and simple finale by actually waiting for the empress to drop. Shame you decided not to do the DLC, playing as Daud is really fun.

Anyway, thanks for a completely hilarious LP!

e: VVV A possible issue with that is that the second game's story directly follows the DLC.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Sep 7, 2023