Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I played this game when it first came out and found it high-quality. I particularly liked the performance of Chloe Moretz as Emily, I was just becoming her fan at the time after my then-wife got me a DVD of the movie Kick-rear end for my birthday, Chloe was in that too. Enough about her, though, she's moved on from both roles.

At the time I played the game, I disliked how it motivated the player to choose stealth over murder by relegating what I thought were the best story developments behind stealth. I too am a fan of the Metal Gear Solid series, but I've never been great at stealth. This game's stealth is harder than MGS also, in my opinion. Over time, I forgave the game for its writing issues, the "murder" story is good in its own way.

I also appreciated the gameplay, graphics, sound, editing, and the overall atmosphere. The characters in particular were all very cool. Every villain is someone I as a player enjoyed taking down.

Good luck with this game to our players, especially Tea. I will be watching. I hope if you like this game and have the ability, you will play the sequels too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

Okay, you got me, reinstalling right now.

Severed heads - what can't they do?

You know, I have enjoyed another game where severed heads can appear in your inventory- Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. In that game, they're pretty much dead weight, though, only there to clue you in to a character's personal side quest. You can't really do anything specific with them. Maybe the developers of WotR should have played Dishonored more and gotten some better ideas. Corvo makes excellent use of severed heads as distractions, attractors, improvised weapons. They're not useless after all!

quote:

But I only killed fourteen people!"

Dunwall is doomed.

That was something that frustrated me about this game's murder vs stealth thing. Such a low threshold standard, so easy to get stuck, screw up trying to stay stealthy. You get caught up in a moment where a massacre becomes necessary to survive, you will lose out on the stealth ending. Lots of save-scumming was needed for this player to get the stealth ending, and in the final analysis, I didn't care to achieve it myself. I had LPs for that. May be more preferable for new players to go for a murder ending. But let the player decide!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Natural 20 posted:

Yeah my experience of the game was to save and reload a lot if I got caught. I feel like the options for getting out of danger if you fall into it are relatively limited in this game.

But also wrecking everyone when you're in danger is also part of the fun!

Agreed. I have several cherished memories of getting caught sneaking around and then wrecking a large number of enemies that came after me from my days playing this game. I won't go into detail, trying to avoid spoilers, let's just say that my memories of slaughtering dozens of enemies and evading detection from this series are extremely treasured.

For games I have played with similar situations, only the Assassin's Creed and Metal Gear Solid series come close, and this game has a memorably different atmosphere from both of those in many ways. The Batman Arkham series is also comparable- but in those games, your player character is generally tasked with disabling every guard they can and is capable of doing that. The situation is different for Dishonored, your character is motivated to choose Ghost Stealth (undetected in general) over Predator Stealth (not detected but you disable a large number of enemies without getting seen) quite a bit and your tools are more limited than in Batman Arkham. I genuinely admire any player who completes a Ghost Run on Dishonored (my experience with the sequels is more limited, sorry to say).

Other less successful games have done stealth with skill- Manhunt for example, also Dead to Rights, Last of Us, Days Gone, and many more that I have enjoyed. In my humble opinion, Dishonored tops them all. Only the Assassin's Creed, Metal Gear Solid, and Batman Arkham series are able to top Dishonored. Hitman is a series I have enjoyed, but in my opinion when it comes to stealth, Dishonored easily tops Hitman. There may be other stealth games that top Dishonored or come close- I haven't played Thief or Sly Cooper and I only played the first Deus Ex game- but that is my review of this game's success at stealth.

Three key things this game does to succeed at stealth are as follows:

1- Make it challenging and rewarding. This increases replay value.

2. Make using it different from normal gameplay. There has already been a lot of commentary here on the differences between stealth & massacre style gameplay. I hope to talk more about those differences later, for now we're still early in the game and spoilers need to be kept low. Let me just say I have seen multiple LPs and walkthroughs of Dishonored cover both "Low Chaos" (lots of stealth, low number of enemies killed) & "High Chaos" (massacre lots of people, stealth is optional) runs with great detail. I don't think this LP is doing that, but the developers might consider it. We don't know yet how Tea will approach most of the game and Tea may be motivated to play it again after this LP. Maybe with Lower or Higher Chaos than the first time. I will let Tea, Natural 20, and the rest of their team decide whether they want to replay & record Dishonored again after their first LP is done.

3. Make it rewarding to go either way. Taking down enemies and bosses in this game is very different in Low vs. High Chaos runs. I can't provide more detail right now, again keeping spoilers low, but it is different and satisfying (mostly) to go either way. Tea and other new players who follow this LP will soon see how so, I hope.

anilEhilated- Yep. There is a lot of good British colonial fiction out there that depicts great villains and heroic confrontations with them. Ever read Joseph Conrad? Robert Louis Stevenson? Rudyard Kipling? Those are my top 3 authors for depicting the period. Jules Verne & Ernest Hemingway also address it well.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The Outsider. Definitely my favorite character in the game. :)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Alright, y’all, tone down the enthusiasm a bit. Congratulations to those with certain achievements. I don’t know if our new player can emulate you this round and would prefer he not be intimidated. I’m glad he has things to shoot for, but fun should take priority, right? Game exploration without spoilers too. I apologize for my part in stoking inappropriate discussion here. I hope I have kept my temper and will maintain it. We’ll see.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Granny Rags is another awesome character in the game, the best villain Susan Sarandon has on her resume after that evil queen she played in Disney's 'Enchanted". I think one role was good prep for the other. Maybe she can play more iconic villain roles at some point.

Careful with Granny Rags, Tea. She may be old, but she's no proper lady. Heh.

I agree with the plan to reclaim Dunwall for the rats. Another favorite game of mine with rats is the original Max Payne. Ever seen the rat easter eggs in that game's early levels? Check em out sometime. Gotta move on now, before I get more off topic. Keep having fun with the game!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Glad we’re enjoying the game regardless of Chaos, which currently seems high. Curious what you guys think of another challenge I remembered tonight. Mostly Flesh & Steel has the player complete the game using minimal occult powers. Probably not wise for the first time player or the LPer looking to show off the game. I completed it easily on my second playthrough however. Many of the powers have issues keeping them from greatness imho.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Let's not forget one of our allies is also a Pendleton. I wonder how Natural20 will change his opinion of Trevor based on the other two Pendletons he just defeated.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The Lady Boyle mission was fun for me because you can get a different target each time you play it and there are different ways to go after each of the three possibilities. I keep waiting for the Assassin’s Creed series to do something so creative and different. ;)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
This tower climb is among my favorite instances of the video game trope.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Bravo on getting this far. Hope you check out the Low Chaos executions of the various villains as well as the High Chaos ones, on your own time if necessary. They’re all fun!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
For interested players- breaking into the Regent’s panic room is necessary for the more challenging Low Chaos resolution to this quest. I ultimately found it the most satisfying part of the game’s Low Chaos content. Players wishing to experience it for themselves are encouraged on that path.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
You’re remembering the game better than I am. My bad. My apologies. I need to make time to actually watch these videos before I post anything about them. Thx for the reminder.

High Chaos is also challenging against the Lord Regent. Serious amount of guards surrounding him and lots of obstacles to overcome. Perhaps it is the more challenging experience. I’ll let the player decide.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Daud is my favorite character in the game. Kudos to Michael Madsen and the other artists who portrayed him. I will watch the video boss battle when I can.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Daud’s save/kill scene is worth watching on another playthrough- or your own play if you prefer. This LP is awesome with or without it, the whole game is cool. Just saying. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The reason I like Low Chaos is the simple final mission. It’s a relief after the complexity of previous missions’ stealth setups. I will also note that I have lost my focus and started killing people like crazy on the final mission because the Loyalists are ultimately our protagonist’s worst enemies. This has swung multiple playthroughs to a High Chaos ending. :(

Be careful, players!