Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Boco_T posted:

Wait did Warpath not make the cut!?!?!?

CarlCX posted:

and Warpath, on closer inspection, wasn't actually in that bad shape, he was just a kind of middling fighter who looked worse than he did because he fought in a singlet.

Agreed -- I dare say in the realm of regular people, Warpath is pretty in shape. He'd need at least another 40lbs to be knock on the doors here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

At the time, i thought there was no one clearer to take up the Tank mantle than Cabbage. He didn't seem to have the same degree of malice, but the entertainment proposition was quite similar. He for sure molded the unpredictable and comic template of heavyweight MMA.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LvK posted:

wrestling like a disrespectful shitkicker

Is that just acting and scripting, or is that being rougher/ dirtier?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ringo Roadagain posted:

He had an hour long match during the pandemic no crowds era that went an almost an hour with the first 30 minutes being nothing but a stare down.

Very Tank like, then
https://youtu.be/-QS1RqjvgTc

I can't say it's worth watching in full. This is a good summary:
https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/tank-abbott-scott-ferrozzo-backyard-brawl

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lewis' inconsistency is very Tank-like to me. He's had enough disappointing losses to temper his potential.
His "just stand up" ability is singular, and I feel like only completely shut down by DC (ignoring Spivac's much shorter ground control on a over the hill Lewis).

Just rewatched the fight against DC, and the training with Khabib really shows, imo. A lot of similar base-knocking tactics, tripodding your weight to keep the opponent weighed down -- it's not surprising that DC was able to keep Lewis down, just pleasant to watch the same formula that Khabib used.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Am I crazy or did Cabbage use a vampire/pitbull teeth mouthguard? And that was part of the marketing hype going into the Arlovski fight?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

feels like the kind of thing Tank would have posted had he been able.

I’m pretty sure Tank is literate and can tweet.
The typo on his book titles might disagree I suppose.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Saw this relevant meme

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

Derrick Lewis once knocked out Travis Browne, Ronda Rousey's soon-to-be-husband who'd been accused of domestic assault, and talked about womanbeaters as the lowest of the low. Tank Abbott, at the height of Rousey's popularity, responded to the UFC's claims of her ability to compete with men by offering to beat her up for free and force her to make him a sandwich. Can a Tank be a good person, or does their lifelong adherence to violence necessitate vice? If a Tank journeys too far into the light, can they return to the dark?

Is Derrick Lewis a better form of the Tank we knew back in the nineties? Or is the concept of a better Tank so inherently exclusory to the concept

At every vote, i keep going back to that tidbit that Tank's self insert character had a dog named Adolf. I like Lewis and ultimately don't want to compare him in terms of Tankness.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

ultimately, voted for lewis. you can be a lovely fighter but you don't have to be an (entirely) lovely person

This is the Tank tournament though, not the who deserves to break the Tank curse tournament.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think so.

Following through leads to the paradox where the runner up is the most Tank like.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

Are there any Tanks at the lower weight levels, or is there a certain "You Must Have This Much Mass" to properly qualify?

Jon Lineker has shown some mind boggling punching power. His inability to make weight (even if he could carry the power to 135) is a less romantic standout flaw, but he’s certainly made a lot out of his one skill.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

We should try to name the people that'll be pulled into Carl's jobber tournament.

Only one I can think of on this scale is Shannon Ritch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

Travis Fulton still excluded for being a godawful human?

His record is way too winning to be in the convo, imo.