Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
I'm a professional wrestling nerd who wandered into this thread because I saw Tank Abbott, so I'm judging the contestants against the slightly different standard of Abbott's WCW run. And if you didn't keep up with 2000s WCW, that run sucked for two main reasons. 1) Tank didn't care about the kind of theatricality you need to actually work in professional wrestling. 2) He was pushed way harder than he should have been, because the booker thought he was way cooler than he was and considered him top-level talent.

So, I voted for Jimmy Ambriz here. Tai is someone who seems like he knows how to play to a crowd, and he's still a big enough deal that he'd fit at the top of a card. But Jimmy? That man feels like a beefy midcard guy that someone will convince themselves could be in the main event because he's an established MMA guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Oh hey, I missed an entire vote. Not that it matters, because I would have voted for Lungu anyway. I was instantly charmed by Barnett and if he was kicking people out of personal spite I could see him advancing. But he doesn't seem like someone who likes to hurt people, he just likes doing spin kicks. That just doesn't seem like a very Tank thought process.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

I voted for Roy Nelson for one reason: as I understand it, part of being a Tank Abbott is being exceptionally devoted to walking forward and hitting people really hard. Butterbean became famous for winning strong man boxing competitions, and as an outsider I'm willing to say that everyone there is equally devoted to walking forward and hitting people really hard. Butterbean is exceptionally good at it, but he isn't exceptionally interested in it compared to his peers. Besides, the amount of submissions he got when he started MMA proper implies that he made an honest attempt at changing his style and didn't stick with pure force.

Then again, I was able to make that argument because I was already aware of Butterbean, so maybe rare Magic card has a point.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Also voted for Ambriz for one simple reason: being a violent weirdo who only throws haymakers is easy when you only fight people who are bad. If you're going for big techniqueless swings in fights that matter, that means more.

Besides, if Lungu wins CarlCX is going to have to talk more about all the no-name fighters he beat, and they deserve to write about something more interesting than that.