Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I was wondering who would be revealed as a competitor and was iffy if butterbean would be there. More to say about him when his time comes I guess. Will say I don't recognise everyone in those pictures but am curious of a few names are there

I feel like tai actually had a bit more technical skill than brawling to him? Which is weird to say when Jimmy has submission wins, but looking at his corner photo I feel like this elvis impersonator has more of the "gently caress it I'll figure it out" side to him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Liquid Communism posted:

Even if I didn't think Tai had too good a record, Jimmy is the pick here. No man with that little muscle definition and sporting a neon green mullet could not have a place in this fight.

Plus, tell me this isn't a Tank Abbot Moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Df3qn0vIIo

That was neither the fastest nor the most hilarious.

Jimmy looks like a gta3 character in this video

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I forgot to vote but am happy sentoryu won. Ivey trying to be goofy does not seem at all in the tank abbott spirit

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Dada doesn't really strike me as a tank abbott style guy for some reason

He's just some guy who wanted to fight.The mma wasteland is littered with failed tank abbotts who tried to make their hobby of violence into a professional career, dada barely lasted 3 fights (and it nearly killed him)

Would you consider chuck the successful tank?

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 25, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

that's kind of what i was trying to get at with my post too. dada fought, he wanted to fight. tank really seemed like he was there to hurt people

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

that's some great writing as usual, thanks for the answers :)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

maybe I don't fully understand the tank abbott style but barnett doesn't really strike me as a tank abbott kind of guy

taking someone down and beating them up in a kickboxing match, though...

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Crossover thread with cspam to determine if someone is tankie enough

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CarlCX posted:

Cabbage is entrenched in memory for one of the worst possible reasons: An impossibly solid chin. He was famous for being so ludicrously tough and addicted to brawling that he would take dozens of knockout punches to the face without dropping, all in the name of getting a chance to swing back and catch opponents who thought they had him where they wanted him.
Huh, I wonder whatever happened to kazuyuki fujita

CarlCX posted:

I would like to tell you that Aorigele got famous for his fighting. It wouldn't be inaccurate; he was a numerically successful fighter and had victories over famous fighters like Bob Sapp and Kazuyuki Fujita who, respectfully, extremely should not have been fighting anymore.

Oh :smith:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Do you have some links to decent butterbean tank-style fights because I have this one as roy all day. For some reason butterbean doesn't strike me as a tank abbott kind of guy, despite only really having seen his genki sudo fight.

Roy abandoning his bjj (except that time he owned kimbo) to brawl is extremely tank

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Genki sudo doing the wrestling bounce-off-the-ropes for momentum was extremely genki sudo

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CarlCX posted:

Many hours and a score of votes later, what clarity have we reached?

I really like this because it calls into question who is tank abbott? What is tank abbott? Butterbean v Roy Nelson may be the most philosophical tank matchup, I know I certainly don't associate them at all in the same "style" of fighter. Whether this is down to era or exposure or success outside of MMA I'm not really sure.

I feel like maybe it's almost a chase sherman or diaz reality philosophical kind of question. What is it to be tank? Or what is it to be a tank?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

While there are a few things working against Hunt, such as his skills and Christianity, his penchant for losing despite being a total badass is Tank to the core. The fact that he chose to fight out his contract, even though no one wanted him to, and actually won enough to stick around is one of my favourite MMA storylines. Smashing the jaw of a 7 foot tall Stefan Struve, with the matching x-ray, was probably my personal favourite moment of his.

stefan sutoruvu

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

this is an amazing last round matchup.

would hong man choi ever qualify as a tank? I only really remember him for being gently caress off huge, which I guess isn't fair to him.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Jan nortje dropping straight into the big man tournament. Who was in if he had stuck around the main tournament?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CarlCX posted:

How do you be Tank Abbott But Better when, should you become too much better, you are no longer bad enough to be Tank Abbott?

CarlCX posted:

the obvious number one: Mark Hunt

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What do you call the evolved tank though. The tank II

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Khizan posted:

Mark Hunt, imo.

:hai:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I like mark hunt as well because if you say his name fast enough you get probed in gbs

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

for me hunt was tank 2.0 but in his absence my balls are now hot and i'm voting lewis

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

Still think every so often about Lewis realizing he can just stand up to get out of a hold :allears:

Just Stand Up is an absurdly funny article to have exist

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

"That is the opposite of good technique"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Carl that's an excellent write-up on tank theory. I love the philosophical side of this tournament. Initially I thought hunt and Lewis were the only possible challengers but you've made a compelling argument for ambriz and the answer to the question "what is a tank?" being more than just a miserable little pile of punches

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CarlCX posted:

It was a coinflip in real life and it's an even harder task on the internet, the only real place left on Earth.

excuse me?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

With hunt out it's got to be lewis

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'm happy jimmy ambriz has found peace and I hope his reconnection with his ex goes well

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I think we all have a slightly different idea of what tank Abbott represents, and what this tournament was meant to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I can't really think of a better jobber at a high level than bob sapp, post when he actually tried. Maybe one of those boxing journeymen who fights like 25 times a year and goes 0-25, but that's a very different scenario