Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm heartily sorry to have missed this thread until now. It's a reminder to actually look at subforums instead of just posting in the same bookmarked threads.

I'm sad not to see Bob Sapp in the tournament. I can think of a few good reasons to disqualify him and a few to include him. I don't know why I like talking about him so much, I just find his career fascinating. It's easy to hate him for the poo poo he pulled, but now I see him as a desperate and largely unwitting tool of the gangsters running K-1.

It says a lot about Giant Silva that he's billed at 7'2", 380 lbs. and losing to him is considered an embarrassment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Did Arlovski get the idea from him?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I appreciate the response! I thought about it, and I think that even if he'd retired in 2008, he has a few factors against him. For one, he actually won a K-1 World Grand Prix. He only won thanks to blatant referee favoritism against bad opponents, but he did win. And he beat multiple world-class fighters, by cheating. He also has a good-looking physique, even if he gasses about as quickly as a Tank Abbott.

But the main problem with qualifying Sapp as a Tank is that he was--how do I put this? A coward. He had a Tankish killer instinct early on, but that vanished the moment Cro Cop broke his face. As soon as he realized that the other guy could actually hurt him, his bravado vanished. He still bull rushed people into the corner and threw rabbit punches, but that was less out of viciousness and more because he was almost totally unskilled. For a frighteningly strong, fast guy, he doesn't have a lot of highlight-reel KOs.

I used to hate Sapp for being a danger to more competent fighters, but in retrospect I think he was not such a bad guy. He was a desperate guy with no options, who played along with the extremely corrupt poo poo that K-1 had planned for him.

I wonder if Sapp could win a tournament of superheavyweights.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's too late now, but I'll make the case that Mark Hunt is a greater Tank than Tank. At first, I thought the comparison was insulting. But I think Mark Hunt is the guy we always want a Tank Abbott to be. Not only does he land devastating knockouts, he has enough gas in the tank that the fight isn't a write-off if it doesn't end in the first round, and he's well-rounded enough that the fight isn't a write-off if he's in someone's guard. This also didn't stop him from suffering scary knockouts as well as delivering them. Hunt also continued to learn and develop somewhat during his career, something I don't think Tank ever did.

(Which is not to say Tank was dumb. I think he actually smartened up after the fight with Oleg, and realized that not everyone in a dogi was a glorified daycare worker.)

I don't know how we track "generations" of MMA fighters; are they like consoles? We could say Hunt was Tank 2.0, but MMA continued giving us guys who were as good-bad as Tank while Hunt was a legit excellent fighter. He also fulfilled his moral responsibility to us as a celebrity athlete, by becoming insane after he retired.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm voting for Jimmy Ambriz. Not for longwinded intellectual reasons. I'm voting for him because he looks like they started with a very fit, sexy man and inflated him with a bicycle pump.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The belly is the aircraft carrier for the fists. In this way, Hunt beat Roy Nelson at his own game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Getting subbed by Minowa should earn you extra points in this tourney.

For me, Butterbean is too successful in another sport and too humdrum in MMA. I also never got the impression that he liked hurting people, it was just business and meant he didn't have to do cardio. But maybe I'm overrating that time he gave Johnny Knoxville brain damage as nicely as possible.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm going with Ambriz because he fights like Tank and is actually bad.

Does Phil Baroni belong in the tournament?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Tank Sinatra Knocked Him Cold

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Beeswax posted:

I disagree. Tank is the most Tank

Would you say that he is fight?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Hunt Was Robbed

CarlCX posted:

DERRICK "THE BLACK BEAST" LEWIS
6'3" / 265 lbs
Active at 26-11 (1)
Winning ratio: 68%
Victory method ratio: 81% KO, 4% SUB, 15% DEC
Won and defended the Legacy FC heavyweight championship, unsuccessfully challenged for the UFC heavyweight championship twice
Best win: Francis Ngannou
Worst loss: Matt Mitrione
Record against other Abbotts: Beat Roy Nelson, lost to Tai Tuivasa and Mark Hunt
I understand why SAS has a standing rule against using insulting nicknames for athletes. That said, "Fat Shitrione" will never fail to get a chuckle out of me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Did Hunt ever mock a fallen opponent? Perhaps the classy walk off is the greatest taunt.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Lewis looking to cut Tank's beard.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ChrisBTY posted:

Tank Abbott should not have been in this tournament.
You do not make a 'which one of these fruits in most like an apple' and put an apple in the goddamn tournament. That kills the point.
Just like Tank, apple would be defeated by grāpple

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Thank you, CarlCX, from the bottom of my fists.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Eat This Glob posted:

*bob sapp curls up and hits the canvas in preparation for the jobber tourney*
*K-1 referee examines the floor and gives Sapp a TKO victory*

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm not certain what makes an MMA jobber and how you distinguish high-profile jobbers from insane people with 0-20 records, but I s'pose we'll figure that out when the time comes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
True, but we're not putting Rickson Gracie in the Jobbers Tournament, are we?