Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Embrace the sports yelling. It is the perfect drivetime background noise. It's so important, yet it doesn't matter at all.

I can sometimes do this for about 15 minutes before I start wanting to strangle whoever's on the mic at that moment.

"YOU ARE EMOTIONALLY INVESTED IN A RICH gently caress'S PORTFOLIO. THAT'S ALL THIS IS. NO ONE BUT YOU AND OTHER RUBES CARE ABOUT THIS."

I didn't wanna strangle nobody when I listened to Weatherscan. Weatherscan loved you. Weatherscan just wanted you to have a safe and chill day :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

interwhat posted:

My 1998 Subaru Outback has a weather band on the radio it's loving sickkkkk

I just pulled my handcrank weather radio out of the closet to see if I could get a weather band on it. I cannot. :smith:

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I used to be a fan of all the Oakland teams, so it was even worse than that -- whenever the radio jocks deigned to talk about Oakland instead of SF, half the news was about the team owners trying to extract tax subsidies from the city and county to build their new stadiums, and outmaneuver the other team owners so they had sole control of the existing publicly-owned stadium site.

One time, the A's popular catcher Stephen Vogt spent like a week on the injured list because he took a fastball to the nuts. He was scheduled for a regular weekly interview segment, and on his return, even though he was obviously uncomfortable talking about it, the radio clowns kept steering the conversation back towards, "so, 90mph to the ol' family jewels... what was that like? heh heh heh"

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

istewart posted:

I used to be a fan of all the Oakland teams, so it was even worse than that -- whenever the radio jocks deigned to talk about Oakland instead of SF, half the news was about the team owners trying to extract tax subsidies from the city and county to build their new stadiums, and outmaneuver the other team owners so they had sole control of the existing publicly-owned stadium site.

tbf that is actual news

istewart posted:

One time, the A's popular catcher Stephen Vogt spent like a week on the injured list because he took a fastball to the nuts. He was scheduled for a regular weekly interview segment, and on his return, even though he was obviously uncomfortable talking about it, the radio clowns kept steering the conversation back towards, "so, 90mph to the ol' family jewels... what was that like? heh heh heh"

would have been cool if Stephen had junk punched one of them

"it was something like that"

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Some of the "HD Radio" alternate channels in my area are alright.

The Classic Rock station has "Deep Cuts" which seems to have fewer ads

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

olives black posted:

ok i'll bite, what's good on siriusxm

I'll also bite.

Howard stern has been lame as gently caress for a decade or so, so The Howard Stern Show is not good. Its turned into pretty much a morning zoo type show which is exactly the sort of poo poo Howard used to make fun of.

There are a lot of different Genres of music on there, but for the most part they are like top 60 rather than top 40. You hear a few extra songs that you might not hear on terrestrial radio, but on the channels that focus on a specific decade (70s on 7, 80s on 8, 90s on 9 for example) its a lot of the same stuff, but the top ~60 from (whatever year) type stuff. Just without commercials on the music stations. The personalities on the channels are good, but not spectacularly awesome. They're more or less the same as terrestrial radio on the music stations.

One thing I like is I ccan listen to the same channels across the country. Its handy when you go somewhere remote and you can't even pick up AM stations which has happened to me a few times. I don't know if streaming or whatever people do with their phones will solve that problem or not, maybe it can?

There are still channels that play new stuff if you're in to that, but me being an old coot I don't like much that was made after the year 2000.
My personal experience with it is that I've been exposed to a large amount of music that I never thought I would like until I got SXM and tried listening to some of it.
I'm from Canada near Toronto, so while there is a big variety of radio stations between here and Buffalo NY, I have no idea where I could find say, a station that plays Reggae for example.

I'm sure some goon is already seething mad and about to quote this post with their giant throbbing cock of knowledge and wisdom to tell me how this post sucks and how I'm an idiot for liking something that they don't like but whatever.

YMMV

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

olives black posted:

ok i'll bite, what's good on siriusxm

Limited to no DJ chatter, no commercials, special radio programs, lots of variety and genres, rotating exclusive channels, extra channels on the app that have even more music options, channels that are more than just music (comedy as has been mentioned, sports, news, traffic, etc.) and it’s always been great reception no matter where I am in the US. I’m not gonna say it’s all great because even SiriusXM can get repetitive on specific channels (but you’re gonna run into that no matter the method of how one listens to music) and the cost is also questionable. Still beats using phone data and battery life (unless you’re using USB), cutting out in rural areas of no phone service, or no/static/fringe stations out in the boondocks if you’re listening to terrestrial radio. I’ve taken multiple road trips and always have SiriusXM blaring crystal clear from point A to point B and back to point A. The extra channels on the app are also great to listen to when I’m working on a car or doing yard work or something.

As always, though, your mileage may vary.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

wesleywillis posted:

I'll also bite.

Howard stern has been lame as gently caress for a decade or so, so The Howard Stern Show is not good. Its turned into pretty much a morning zoo type show which is exactly the sort of poo poo Howard used to make fun of.

There are a lot of different Genres of music on there, but for the most part they are like top 60 rather than top 40. You hear a few extra songs that you might not hear on terrestrial radio, but on the channels that focus on a specific decade (70s on 7, 80s on 8, 90s on 9 for example) its a lot of the same stuff, but the top ~60 from (whatever year) type stuff. Just without commercials on the music stations. The personalities on the channels are good, but not spectacularly awesome. They're more or less the same as terrestrial radio on the music stations.

One thing I like is I ccan listen to the same channels across the country. Its handy when you go somewhere remote and you can't even pick up AM stations which has happened to me a few times. I don't know if streaming or whatever people do with their phones will solve that problem or not, maybe it can?

There are still channels that play new stuff if you're in to that, but me being an old coot I don't like much that was made after the year 2000.
My personal experience with it is that I've been exposed to a large amount of music that I never thought I would like until I got SXM and tried listening to some of it.
I'm from Canada near Toronto, so while there is a big variety of radio stations between here and Buffalo NY, I have no idea where I could find say, a station that plays Reggae for example.

I'm sure some goon is already seething mad and about to quote this post with their giant throbbing cock of knowledge and wisdom to tell me how this post sucks and how I'm an idiot for liking something that they don't like but whatever.

YMMV

You answered before me, but this post is good and cool :hfive:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
Reception is definitely another big kicker for SXM for me, we roadtrip up to Colorado a couple times a year and terrestrial radio and internet/phone reception isn't much of a guaranteed thing in the Jicarilla wilderness of northern NM

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

wesleywillis posted:

I'll also bite.

I canceled my Sirius sub when Howard went to 3 days a week and 40 weeks of vacation per year.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Who the hell is listening to Howard when you could be listening to Opie & Anthony Opie & Jim Jim & Sam :shucks:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
If I wanted to listen to smug dipshit New York comedians jerk each other off I'd listen to Cum Town The Adam Friedland Show :q:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just get some audiobooks

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

I canceled my Sirius sub when Howard went to 3 days a week and 40 weeks of vacation per year.

40 weeks of vacation out of 52 in a year? God drat.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Just get some audiobooks

yeah :unsmith:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

I was going to suggest something fun but you do you, comrade

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
It blows my mind that clear channel communication killed the radio industry so thoroughly and they just have rebranded into iheart and nobody seems to care

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

rotinaj posted:

It blows my mind that clear channel communication killed the radio industry so thoroughly and they just have rebranded into iheart and nobody seems to care

not much anyone can do about it aside from you-know-what :ussr:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
People could at least properly hold iheart in the low esteem they deserve

Instead you have dudes like robert evans, the behind the bastards guy, just kinda gamely shrugging as his podcast has trumpy gold ads thanks to iheart, and an entire radio industry that has been roto-rooted out from inside, iheart trying to make their own coachella happen and i have yet to hear a peep about anyone thinking iheart kinda sucks a lot

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

You Are A Elf posted:

I’ve been with SiriusXM (when they were simply XM and Sirius was a rival) since 2007 and I ain’t giving it up anytime soon.

I signed up for it and bought the original receiver at Circuit City lol

I worked at a listener-sponsored FM radio station in L.A., back in the 80s. Great fun! They are still there, still doing their left-wing stuff. One of the few voices that isn't far right on the radio.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Genesplicer posted:

I worked at a listener-sponsored FM radio station in L.A., back in the 80s. Great fun! They are still there, still doing their left-wing stuff. One of the few voices that isn't far right on the radio.

That's cool! Any fun stories you can tell us?

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

But without terrestrial how will you get the clues to find the 123.4 $5000 fugitive!? You fool. You utter buffoon!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I listen to Jim Rome. BITCH!!!!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
When i was a kid in the early to mid 90s, my local radio station was a top 40 station with a pre-right wing politics glenn beck

I won a contest as a kid and wound up becoming friends with him and his family. He was extremely nice to me as a kid and would include me in station events. I still have a bottle opener keychain he gave me.

Then he moved to a different radio station, found religion and kicked his cocaine habit, and became the right wing lunatic he is today

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

rotinaj posted:

40 weeks of vacation out of 52 in a year? God drat.

I'm exaggerating but yeah it was ridiculous so I felt it wasn't worth paying for anymore.

When he first went to Sirius, it was M-TH and the off weeks were pretty reasonable. Then as the original contract expired and new ones were made, he was on the air less and less.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

MrQwerty posted:

the first thing I did when I bought my truck was buy a new Pioneer head that has bluetooth, a mic, a hookup for a sat radio and a Sirius radio

i always listen to the comedy stations when I'm commuting, really takes the edge off of how lovely driving in Albuquerque is

Why do you need all that when Hot 95.1 exists. Also driving in abq only really sucks if you live across the river and work in the city or vice versa

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Smugworth posted:

Who the hell is listening to Howard when you could be listening to Opie & Anthony Opie & Jim Jim & Sam :shucks:

The Howard Stern thread has been around for almost as long as SA has. Just about all us stopped listening the show in 2008 but we still talk about it all the time.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Howard Stern def predates SA.

also SXM is cool, but goddamn they could stand to up the bitrate a little bit.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It still clings to the “be a huge pain in the rear end to cancel” philosophy though.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Genesplicer posted:

rotinaj posted:

When i was a kid in the early to mid 90s, my local radio station was a top 40 station with a pre-right wing politics glenn beck

I won a contest as a kid and wound up becoming friends with him and his family. He was extremely nice to me as a kid and would include me in station events. I still have a bottle opener keychain he gave me.

Then he moved to a different radio station, found religion and kicked his cocaine habit, and became the right wing lunatic he is today

It was the summer of 1984 and Elf was 4 years old. My sister won tickets on the radio (remember when the DJ would say “SEVENTH CALLER WINS!!!”?) to see Purple Rain. We went to go pick them up at the station and somehow would up in the live DJ booth. I distinctly remember saying “Hello, Tucson! I’m Elf and I’m on KRQ!”

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

also SXM is cool, but goddamn they could stand to up the bitrate a little bit.

When’s the last time you listened to it? It sounds absolutely fine on my stock 2017 Nissan stereo, but it definitely used to sound like a Napster 128 kbit/s mp3 from 1999 back in the day. The app stations are CD quality, at least.

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
Just get a drat streaming service for 10 bucks a month and literally play whatever you want whenever you want, literally every obscure poo poo you can think of there's a good chance it's on streaming or uploaded to YouTube. I recommend YouTube red and YouTube music for streaming.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I hacked my car radio to remove the AM radio functionality so I don't have to hear the supreme chud Rush Limbaugh anymore

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It still clings to the “be a huge pain in the rear end to cancel” philosophy though.

It is but if you hold out they’re desperate enough for subscribers that that they’ll give you a year for like a buck a month if you play hardball.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah but I don’t want another year of a thing I no longer want.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

One of the best parts about overnight road trips is scrolling the AM dial after dark to see what kinds of crazy they're airing on whatever low power local/regional stations and the larger clear-channels at two, three, four in the morning.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

rotinaj posted:

What happened with this? I started driving (and listening to radio) when iheartradio became a thing, at least until I got a car with an aux player so I could plug my phone in and avoid it entirely. Was radio ever good or was it always some flavor of top 40s depending on the genre station you were on, because that’s what I remember.

I did start listening to radio again in college because our university had a station with a lot of deep cuts and genres.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Chief McHeath posted:

One of the best parts about overnight road trips is scrolling the AM dial after dark to see what kinds of crazy they're airing on whatever low power local/regional stations and the larger clear-channels at two, three, four in the morning.

I did once catch a station that was on the fritz and was just looping some kind of test phrase followed by a long continuous beep.

Which reminds me, this kind of thing needs to come back:

https://youtu.be/jjeUuakHsLw

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

buglord posted:

What happened with this? I started driving (and listening to radio) when iheartradio became a thing, at least until I got a car with an aux player so I could plug my phone in and avoid it entirely. Was radio ever good or was it always some flavor of top 40s depending on the genre station you were on, because that’s what I remember.

It was already like that in the 90s, though maybe not as bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOFKU_hwj2o&t=78s

They at least still had real DJs and occasionally played some new stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

istewart posted:

point being, you can push back

:hai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f07cWSkfTE