Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fuuuuuuck. If it were anything other than AM radio I'd support preserving it too but god drat it's a wasteland without rival. If it weren't for coast to coast am and maybe leonard's losers a handful of times, I'd say I've never heard anything of value on am radio ever

buglord posted:

What happened with this? I started driving (and listening to radio) when iheartradio became a thing, at least until I got a car with an aux player so I could plug my phone in and avoid it entirely. Was radio ever good or was it always some flavor of top 40s depending on the genre station you were on, because that’s what I remember.

Maybe not good but it was definitely better. There was a lot more variety and you'd get a lot more regional hits and poo poo which was kinda neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
my city has a seriously well put-together independent radio station. "deep cuts" across all genres all day long. local music features, they put on fests. fuckin rules to have them.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Chief McHeath posted:

One of the best parts about overnight road trips is scrolling the AM dial after dark to see what kinds of crazy they're airing on whatever low power local/regional stations and the larger clear-channels at two, three, four in the morning.

Not gonna lie, I do that poo poo too.

Shortwave is even crazier.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Fuuuuuuck. If it were anything other than AM radio I'd support preserving it too but god drat it's a wasteland without rival. If it weren't for coast to coast am and maybe leonard's losers a handful of times, I'd say I've never heard anything of value on am radio ever

Maybe not good but it was definitely better. There was a lot more variety and you'd get a lot more regional hits and poo poo which was kinda neat.

I get why conservatives are into it, it's a vast wasteland of conservative and religious trash, but democrats? The average price of a new car is around $50k and I promise that absolutely no one in a $50k car in an emergency is going to be like "I wonder what information AM radio has about this situation."

Anyways, to weigh in on radio in general, you might be surprised what HD Radio has. One of my go-to stations is Pride Radio, a iHeartMedia subchannel which is just dance/pop with hardly any ads. But yeah, mostly SiriusXM and Spotify in the car, actually way more SiriusXM than I thought, the new Sirius radios are really good, I thought I was hallucinating that every time I changed the radio station a new song was starting on SiriusXM until I realized that is a feature now.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Three Olives posted:

I get why conservatives are into it, it's a vast wasteland of conservative and religious trash, but democrats? The average price of a new car is around $50k and I promise that absolutely no one in a $50k car in an emergency is going to be like "I wonder what information AM radio has about this situation."

It might actually have useful emergency info if we didn't live in hellworld.

Three Olives posted:

Anyways, to weigh in on radio in general, you might be surprised what HD Radio has. One of my go-to stations is Pride Radio, a iHeartMedia subchannel which is just dance/pop with hardly any ads. But yeah, mostly SiriusXM and Spotify in the car, actually way more SiriusXM than I thought, the new Sirius radios are really good, I thought I was hallucinating that every time I changed the radio station a new song was starting on SiriusXM until I realized that is a feature now.

That's kinda neat :)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Three Olives posted:

If radio emergency broadcasts are anything like on TV, it will just be loud static buzzing while some barely intelligible, extremely compressed voice says things like sound like "Murfle blurfle". It's the 21st century and emergency broadcasts still sound like a trans-oceanic shortwave broadcast from 1927.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

The_Franz posted:

If radio emergency broadcasts are anything like on TV, it will just be loud static buzzing while some barely intelligible, extremely compressed voice says things like sound like "Murfle blurfle". It's the 21st century and emergency broadcasts still sound like a trans-oceanic shortwave broadcast from 1927.

The loud static buzzing is to get your attention. It's also cool as hell. EAS ear destruction forever

https://youtu.be/TjBnDsTOGug

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

What happened with this? I started driving (and listening to radio) when iheartradio became a thing, at least until I got a car with an aux player so I could plug my phone in and avoid it entirely. Was radio ever good or was it always some flavor of top 40s depending on the genre station you were on, because that’s what I remember.

I did start listening to radio again in college because our university had a station with a lot of deep cuts and genres.

You know how all the radio stations that play top 40 all play the same songs, to the point that if you listen to the same station every day, you’ll hear the same songs over and over again?

That’s because none of the local stations aside from the few holdout independent stations have anything in them except for a computer. It's all being fed by computers and controlled remotely, with whatever local dj being one of like five people who actually work there.

Radio used to have people choosing songs to play, giving exposure to different acts and different bands, maybe local stuff, maybe just what the dj prefers. In the late 80s and 90s, clear channel started buying out radio stations and shuffling out anyone unique or creative in favor of easily controlled shitbox djs and managers who would do as they are told. That's why the late 90s still had some semblance of musical variety, but as the post-9/11 years went on, it died off and became more stagnant until the music industry wound up like it is today

You can’t have a thriving music scene if the pathway to becoming a big deal is gatekept by a risk averse corporation

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It sure seems like attaching the word "industry" to something makes it worse but what do I know. Someone should write something about this

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

rotinaj posted:

You know how all the radio stations that play top 40 all play the same songs, to the point that if you listen to the same station every day, you’ll hear the same songs over and over again?

That’s because none of the local stations aside from the few holdout independent stations have anything in them except for a computer. It's all being fed by computers and controlled remotely, with whatever local dj being one of like five people who actually work there.

Radio used to have people choosing songs to play, giving exposure to different acts and different bands, maybe local stuff, maybe just what the dj prefers. In the late 80s and 90s, clear channel started buying out radio stations and shuffling out anyone unique or creative in favor of easily controlled shitbox djs and managers who would do as they are told. That's why the late 90s still had some semblance of musical variety, but as the post-9/11 years went on, it died off and became more stagnant until the music industry wound up like it is today

You can’t have a thriving music scene if the pathway to becoming a big deal is gatekept by a risk averse corporation

Massive swaths of public frequency ranges being occupied with music determined solely by a corpo spreadsheet.

Old news to many, I'm sure. Good lord is it loving depressing though.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I miss 107.7 the end in Seattle, I think it’s still around but has been a hollow shell for a long time. Used to have fun DJs and contests, tons of unique versions of songs from their vault, and weren’t shy about putting the whole broadcast day into Spanish for Cinco De Mayo for fun.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

rotinaj posted:

Lol, "local DJ", voice-tracking killed that years ago, there is a good chance that your "local dj" has never set foot in your city.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Smugworth posted:

The Bonfire and Bennington with a dash of Weird Medicine once in awhile

I love bobby, but Bonfire is rough without soder.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

You Are A Elf posted:

It was the summer of 1984 and Elf was 4 years old. My sister won tickets on the radio (remember when the DJ would say “SEVENTH CALLER WINS!!!”?) to see Purple Rain. We went to go pick them up at the station and somehow would up in the live DJ booth. I distinctly remember saying “Hello, Tucson! I’m Elf and I’m on KRQ!”

When’s the last time you listened to it? It sounds absolutely fine on my stock 2017 Nissan stereo, but it definitely used to sound like a Napster 128 kbit/s mp3 from 1999 back in the day. The app stations are CD quality, at least.

i listened to it on a stock 2019 Jeep radio like a month ago. Definitely sounded like a 96k bitrate mp3. I've heard it's better on the app, tho

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

olives black posted:

If I wanted to listen to smug dipshit New York comedians jerk each other off I'd listen to Cum Town The Adam Friedland Show :q:

Aint nothing wrong with that bud.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

Lol, "local DJ", voice-tracking killed that years ago, there is a good chance that your "local dj" has never set foot in your city.

Probably, but i was unsure if they will sometimes have a token person in a major market or not

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

istewart posted:

point being, you can push back

oh my god, i think imma get a cb radio. try and probe me over the radio, mods

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Dubplate Fire posted:

Aint nothing wrong with that bud.

You can do a lot worse than Nick and Adam, but it's still smug New Yorker poo poo that I have even less tolerance for since they allowed a fuckwit like Eric Adams to become their mayor. Their city sucks just as much as any given shithole in the Midwest.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

rotinaj posted:

Probably, but i was unsure if they will sometimes have a token person in a major market or not

Major markets, yes, but they won't be just doing that market, they will be covering smaller markets from the major market. They will have nominal value in a major market to have a few local people, they aren't quite at the point of having like 4 people cover the entire US from a cabin in Montana.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

rotinaj posted:

This is why radio sucks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_Act_of_1996

Before this act passed, companies wete allowed to only own 1 television station and 1 radio station per market.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Bonzo posted:

This is why radio sucks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_Act_of_1996

Before this act passed, companies wete allowed to only own 1 television station and 1 radio station per market.

It's not just that there is a law, but that also people allow the law to exist.
If enough people just said, "stop it. I want interesting radio back." The law would be repealed.

But I don't think enough people want it. Like how many people in this thread would go back to the radio if it started playing interesting music.
I don't think I would. I have been using an mp3 player for over 15 years now.

At best I would look at their playlist and pick out the songs I like and add them to my mp3 player.

Also gradually the audience of the radio/mainstream culture / pop culture is shrinking from all the other micro cultures.
It's a death of a thousand cuts. Olives Black, you got cut a few times.

People who like country, have a death grip on pop culture. That's just going to take over.

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 23, 2023

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Testicle Radio lolololol

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

But I don't think enough people want it. Like how many people in this thread would go back to the radio if it started playing interesting music.

If it was good, maybe. I regularly listen to streaming radio stations that are basically pirate stations run out of someone's house in the Netherlands or wherever, and I've found more new-to-me music from the 70s to the 00s via them than I ever did via 'real' radio or Spotify types of services.

As a teenager I thought I just didn't like music because the stuff the big stations played 15x a day didn't really do anything for me. It turns out that there was a lot of good stuff back then, I just didn't know about it.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
It's not just that the radio has to play music you like, but also play music that you have to keep on liking.
The radio is kind of built to kick people out. (same with streaming and playlists)

There might be a song a person really likes, but it didn't catch on.
So for that person they have to go away from the radio to hear that song, and that is time away from the radio.

Or the radio plays a song a person doesn't like, and that forces people away from the radio.

Eventually the songs a person likes, that the radio doesn't play any more, or doesn't play that often, add up.
Where songs a person is apathetic about, or hate, start feeling like a waste of time.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Just stream KEXP. It's very good.

https://kexp.org/

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

My radio is youtube autoplay.

Hell yeah, stick it to them woke moralists jorp

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Or the radio plays a song a person doesn't like, and that forces people away from the radio.

I loving hate Radar Love

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

No Stairway? Denied!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

super sweet best pal posted:

I loving hate Radar Love

How do you feel about welcome to the jungle

Too bad, it plays 4 times per day anyway

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I'd rather listen to radar love while someone electroshocks my testicles than listen to welcome to the jungle

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'd rather listen to radar love while someone electroshocks my testicles than listen to welcome to the jungle

Well enjoy that gnr, because afterwards we got a rock block of 5 songs with no ads, starting with bad company by bad company off bad company, then a solid 30 minutes oif ads!

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

olives black posted:

That's cool! Any fun stories you can tell us?

I used to go in on Friday nights, mostly. (I set my own hours). That was when Mike Hodel hosted his show, "Hour 25". It was devoted to science fiction and he interviewed lots of authors and people who worked in the film industry. (Seeing as how the station was based in Los Angeles, right near Hollywood, there were lots of film people around.) If there was someone I really wanted to meet, I'd arrange to do my stuff when they were coming in so I could meet them. I got a lot of autographs over the years. Mostly authors.
When Harlan Ellison hosted the show, he called a Motherfucker on more than one occasion. I wear this as a badge of honor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hour_25

Once I went up with the engineer to do some work on the transmitter. It is a HUGE tower, and they broadcast at 100,000 watts. It is the most powerful transmitter in the Los Angeles area. The shack at the base of the tower is lit by fluorescent lights. The fun thing is, they are not plugged into anything. They are just duct-taped to the wall. The power of the transmitter is enough to make them glow. After we were there a few minutes, the engineer asked me "By the way, you don't have a pacemaker, do you?" I was 20 at the time and stated I did not. He said "Good, it might fritz out in this field, if you did..."

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 23, 2023

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
When I was growing up I never quite understood the criticism music stations got for playing the same songs multiple times an hour. It was always a relatively decent variety, with the most popular songs getting played multiple times in a day, of course. Nothing was really played to the point where I actually got sick of a song when it came on the radio, then that damned Sunscreen song came along. It seemed to me like it was the first song that seemed to get multiple plays an hour. I'm still shocked it never hit #1.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
KEXP is resoundingly good and I can listen to it natively on FM. It rules. Stream it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

It's not just that there is a law, but that also people allow the law to exist.
If enough people just said, "stop it. I want interesting radio back." The law would be repealed.

I don't think I would. I have been using an mp3 player for over 15 years now.

At best I would look at their playlist and pick out the songs I like and add them to my mp3 player.

Also gradually the audience of the radio/mainstream culture / pop culture is shrinking from all the other micro cultures.
It's a death of a thousand cuts. Olives Black, you got cut a few times.

People who like country, have a death grip on pop culture. That's just going to take over.

'96 was when Rush Limbaugh really ramped up the Clinton outrage and just ranted for hours. Rush was getting syndication deals left and right and any AM station that didn't carry him was leaving money on the table. So Clear Channel having exclusive rights (or similar) to air his show was huge. Thus began the Clear Channel era. Pretty soon the local morning and evening talk shows went away and we got hours of Michael Savage, Hannity , Rush, etc.

Radio stations had been getting computerized for a while before that, even smaller stations running on "auto-pilot". I mean, just switching to CDs and eventually digital media (and no carts) makes sense. Plus you have drunks and old people calling you non stop.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

My cousin was a dj for a local top 40 station in Michigan waaaaaay back in the 80s and when I would ride in the car with him he'd just do the talking djs would do before the lyrics started on a song (called hitting the post I think) as we listened to the radio. I thought it was a superpower at the time to finish an announcement or random thought in the 11 seconds before Loverboy began singing Workin for the Weekend

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

KEXP is resoundingly good and I can listen to it natively on FM. It rules. Stream it.

This is my go-to streaming station. BonePoolRadio is good too, though the music is a bit twee for me sometimes
https://bonepoolradio.com/

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Genesplicer posted:

I used to go in on Friday nights, mostly. (I set my own hours). That was when Mike Hodel hosted his show, "Hour 25". It was devoted to science fiction and he interviewed lots of authors and people who worked in the film industry. (Seeing as how the station was based in Los Angeles, right near Hollywood, there were lots of film people around.) If there was someone I really wanted to meet, I'd arrange to do my stuff when they were coming in so I could meet them. I got a lot of autographs over the years. Mostly authors.
When Harlan Ellison hosted the show, he called a Motherfucker on more than one occasion. I wear this as a badge of honor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hour_25

Once I went up with the engineer to do some work on the transmitter. It is a HUGE tower, and they broadcast at 100,000 watts. It is the most powerful transmitter in the Los Angeles area. The shack at the base of the tower is lit by fluorescent lights. The fun thing is, they are not plugged into anything. They are just duct-taped to the wall. The power of the transmitter is enough to make them glow. After we were there a few minutes, the engineer asked me "By the way, you don't have a pacemaker, do you?" I was 20 at the time and stated I did not. He said "Good, it might fritz out in this field, if you did..."

:science:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

olives black posted:

switching topics a bit I guess but god I loving miss Weatherscan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxtmUv8Ulig

many of my mornings when i was in college were having adderall, red bull and cigarettes for breakfast and having this on in the background while i crammed for class.

now i'm old and i just want it in my car on my way to work

Weatherstar 4000

Just plug in your city and it'll make a weather station for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Weatherstar 4000

Just plug in your city and it'll make a weather station for you

Oh my god I forgot about this, thank you!

Might be time to take that Raspberry Pi out of hibernation.