Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I heard they're asking for tips at self checkouts some places now. It's this psycho New-World Scamerica bullshit where digital manipulation at scale is essentially free so if enough dumb people actually tip at self-checkout it's economically viable for them to try regardless of how annoying it is for the 99% of other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
People say tipping has gotten out of hand, but if you can decline a homeless guy when he asks you for some change, you can hit the “No Tip” button on the tablet.

It’s really not a big deal.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Amarcarts posted:

I heard they're asking for tips at self checkouts some places now. It's this psycho New-World Scamerica bullshit where digital manipulation at scale is essentially free so if enough dumb people actually tip at self-checkout it's economically viable for them to try regardless of how annoying it is for the 99% of other people.

Source needed

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

make everyone work for tips imo. it's the only way to be fair.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Three Olives posted:

I don't know that it makes sense to pay waiters $50 an hour.

it does

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

https://patch.com/us/across-america/self-serve-checkouts-prompt-tips-who-gets-gratuity

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
How the hell do socially anxious people deal with tipping? I mean I'm not pathologically nervous, just unsmooth, and even thinking about US tipping culture makes me sweat.

I assume you just divert your eyes, tip more than you believe necessary and then hurry off?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

You tip 20% for table service or delivery and just ignore the line on the receipt if it's subway lol

It's not that hard

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

lilljonas posted:

How the hell do socially anxious people deal with tipping? I mean I'm not pathologically nervous, just unsmooth, and even thinking about US tipping culture makes me sweat.

I assume you just divert your eyes, tip more than you believe necessary and then hurry off?

You just add it on the receipt or leave it at the table or punch it into the card machine. There's no social interaction involved.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

AKA Pseudonym posted:

You just add it on the receipt or leave it at the table or punch it into the card machine. There's no social interaction involved.

Yeah I meant more the calculation of how much to give, to whom. I'm just assuming I'd constantly wonder if I was supposed to tip or not, if I tipped too little, too much, etc. Like from what I see there's some general consensus on some clear cut cases, such as eating at a non-chain restaurant, but after that everything goes out of the window and you don't find two people who agree on each other except on the point that everyone else tip the wrong way. Social anarchy.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

lilljonas posted:

If you're my mom you tip 5-10% and be on your way

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Just print out bible verses and give those out instead of money. Implement a bible verse button for those payment ipads.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I always tip 20% because I make more money than the people doing jobs which receive tips.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Tipping should go away. People need to make a fair income without resorting to discriminatory pay.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

No. 6 posted:

Tipping should go away. People need to make a fair income without resorting to discriminatory pay.

Would *you* be willing to pay $10 for a pizza instead of $8 plus $2 tip?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Bright Bart posted:

Would *you* be willing to pay $10 for a pizza instead of $8 plus $2 tip?

Yes

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lilljonas posted:

15-20% or 0 to 50% depending on how you feel the service was and then see how you get served next time

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

15-20% or 0 to 50% depending on how you feel the service was and then see how you get served next time

Yeah but even then you have entire groups of service providers where there's no clear consensus on whether to tip or not at all, right? Like I read arguments online on whether to tip your hairdresser? I mean some of the guides I've read are insane. Tip doormen? Tip furniture delivery men, but not delivery guys? Why tip a massage therapist but not a nurse?

This guide has maybe some of the dumbest poo poo I've read, but I'd be hard pressed to know if it is true because obviously SOME people would say that this is legit:

https://www.rd.com/article/how-much-to-tip/

"Some people have recommended tipping the salon owner in addition to the stylist or manicurist." Like what the holy hell dude, I tip the person giving the service and then knock on the boss's door and slide in a fiver? Insanity.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 23, 2023

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ya'll ever read Water Margin? It has some ideas about tipping.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

You will occasionally upset someone regardless of how much or little you tip and if you're neurotic reminding yourself that you tipped within the acceptable range only helps a bit.

lilljonas posted:

Like I read arguments online on whether to tip your hairdresser?

I think the argument is usually about whether to tip the person washing your hair seperately.

I tip my barber and she spends over an hour on my simple cut & beard trim while I drink complimentary coffee, trade jokes, and listen to music on a nice system. Whether she goes over the scheduled time to get every hair exactly the right length because I tip or I tip because I'm satisfied and she'd do it anyways doesn't matter much.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
We should keep tipping, but you should be required to tip progressively more if you have a higher income or higher net worth, and the amounts should be non-negotiable based on those variables. Instead of those tips being paid/collected at the restaurant/barber/etc, the system could be administered centrally, perhaps by the government, and to reduce the hassle of calculating and paying it after each meal out, it could be paid once a year. The government would collect the tips on behalf of the workers and then pay some of it to them directly as cash, and use the rest to invest in collective things that would make their lives better.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Tipping someone should take that money directly out of the head honcho's personal account

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Either my browser is cutting this article off half-way or the article doesn't even try to answer the question in its title. Was it too much effort to actually find out? Or did a freelancer meet the word count and stop abruptly?

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Set tip to whatever is the local standard (15%, 20%, etc.), automatically add it to the receipt, payment of the tip is not optional.

Simple.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Any bar I go to will automatically apply a 20% tip if you don't close your tab by the time you go home. Which is less than I would have tipped anyway, and also I don't have to stand in line and interact with the guy just to sign a receipt; a 20% tip should just be added on every single thing you ever do ever. Makes everything so much better. Everyone is happy.

lilljonas posted:

Yeah but even then you have entire groups of service providers where there's no clear consensus on whether to tip or not at all, right? Like I read arguments online on whether to tip your hairdresser? I mean some of the guides I've read are insane. Tip doormen? Tip furniture delivery men, but not delivery guys? Why tip a massage therapist but not a nurse?

This guide has maybe some of the dumbest poo poo I've read, but I'd be hard pressed to know if it is true because obviously SOME people would say that this is legit:

https://www.rd.com/article/how-much-to-tip/

"Some people have recommended tipping the salon owner in addition to the stylist or manicurist." Like what the holy hell dude, I tip the person giving the service and then knock on the boss's door and slide in a fiver? Insanity.

You tip everybody. I think tipping culture is loving broken and awful, but since we're in it, you should tip everyone. Small interactions like a cashier or a gas station attendant -- just hand them a dollar. More formal stuff, like a coat check guy or the guy who throws your luggage onto the plane -- give him a five. Anything beyond that I don't know though because I'm never in a position where I need to tip a lot -- like I've never had a fancy hotel with room service or anything like that.

Why would you not tip your hairdresser?

I've never heard of tipping the owner of a place :confused:

Haha it would seem weird to tip a nurse, but it seems like if I'm tipping anyone else for the things they do I should also be tipping the nurse or phlebotomist or whatever.

credburn fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 23, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I've seen maybe half an hour of CYE in total but I remember that you don't tip your pharmacist.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tipping gives me a sense of power and control over other people that I normally don't experience in my life due to the self-esteem issues stemming from my whole micropenis situation. I love tipping!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

credburn posted:

Any bar I go to will automatically apply a 20% tip if you don't close your tab by the time you go home. Which is less than I would have tipped anyway, and also I don't have to stand in line and interact with the guy just to sign a receipt; a 20% tip should just be added on every single thing you ever do ever. Makes everything so much better. Everyone is happy.

You tip everybody. I think tipping culture is loving broken and awful, but since we're in it, you should tip everyone. Small interactions like a cashier or a gas station attendant -- just hand them a dollar. More formal stuff, like a coat check guy or the guy who throws your luggage onto the plane -- give him a five. Anything beyond that I don't know though because I'm never in a position where I need to tip a lot -- like I've never had a fancy hotel with room service or anything like that.

Why would you not tip your hairdresser?

I've never heard of tipping the owner of a place :confused:

Haha it would seem weird to tip a nurse, but it seems like if I'm tipping anyone else for the things they do I should also be tipping the nurse or phlebotomist or whatever.

I generally tip nurses, doctors and hospital staff 40% of my medical bill each (before insurance of course!).

As for the luggage guy, I’ve tried to exit the plane and go on to the tarmac to tip them before, but apparently that’s frowned upon by the authorities :rolleyes: so these days I just tape a $20 bill to each piece of luggage.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

GABA ghoul posted:

Tipping gives me a sense of power and control over other people that I normally don't experience in my life due to the self-esteem issues stemming from my whole micropenis situation. I love tipping!

GBS is looking for new moderators in the feedback thread if you're interested

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Smugworth posted:

GBS is looking for new moderators in the feedback thread if you're interested

Thanks, but my job as a cop doesn't leave enough free time for something like that

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Here's a tip: Get outta the business!

:cawg:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sophy Wackles posted:

I generally tip nurses, doctors and hospital staff 40% of my medical bill each (before insurance of course!).

As for the luggage guy, I’ve tried to exit the plane and go on to the tarmac to tip them before, but apparently that’s frowned upon by the authorities :rolleyes: so these days I just tape a $20 bill to each piece of luggage.
I hope you also tipped the guy that refueled the plane as well as the de-icing crew, you monster.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Tipping was cool when I was a bartender because good weekends had me making my rent in one good weekend.

The poo poo part was the fact that everyone knew what nights would have you walking away with 300$+ a night, and which ones had you doing stocking chores and being a janitor for 8 bucks an hour if you weren't just sent home early, so politicking and sucking up to bosses was the name of the game for some people.

I definitely think the tipping pay loopholes should go away and the minimum should just be the minimum. It might push some restaurants over the edge (it's a real lovely industry to try to break into), but really you'd need to charge like 50c more a table to break even so who gives a poo poo?

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Sophy Wackles posted:

Is this normal in the US?

Healthcare professionals are underpaid everywhere and should get more, but I feel patients subsidising a gutted public sector sends the wrong message to political leaders (that they don’t need to invest more).

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Halisnacks posted:

The OP is joking because 40% before insurance contribution would be thousands of dollars for anything beyond a quick visit to the clinic.

In the UK where I practiced patients and family brought homemade baked goods for the nurses who would throw them away for fear of crazed poisoners, but nobody had the heart to tell people to stop.

Doctors where I am now get alcohol or chocolates.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lol if my girlfriend stopped getting tips her yearly income without compensating her for it would be halved at best

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

What we tippin on in the yeti today

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Didn't feudal barons and wealthy aristocrats tip their executioner profusely to get a swift death?

Capitalism at its finest!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Bright Bart posted:

The OP is joking because 40% before insurance contribution would be thousands of dollars for anything beyond a quick visit to the clinic.

In the UK where I practiced patients and family brought homemade baked goods for the nurses who would throw them away for fear of crazed poisoners, but nobody had the heart to tell people to stop.

Doctors where I am now get alcohol or chocolates.

Here in Germany it used to be very common to tip 5-10 bucks to your garbage collectors, cleaners, mail carrier, etc. for Christmas. The tradition has mostly died out though over the last two decades. Public employees are not allowed to take money anymore, fewer people are at home during daytime and everything is much more anonymous anyway. Feels like my mail carrier changes every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Halisnacks posted:

Healthcare professionals are underpaid everywhere and should get more, but I feel patients subsidising a gutted public sector sends the wrong message to political leaders (that they don’t need to invest more).

In :ussr: you had to bring your doctors and nurses chocolates, alcohol or flower to get something approaching a decent treatment.