Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Uniroincally might be the right play for the race?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Not being able to run though. Unironically, skip both bb and ck

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

don't really want to watch them take that team through Fork Tower, but thankfully that's an incentive and not an outright requirement (yet)

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Time to donate a ton of money for Omega and Shinryu to teach everyone a valuable lesson about not picking bad jobs for the run

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Nihilarian posted:

Not being able to run though. Unironically, skip both bb and ck

Honestly, Knight and Geomancer should be pretty good at mulching most random encounters until the later parts of the rift. At the very least, it'd be fun to see one runner try it and see how much they can catch up when everyone else spends a bunch of time grinding for levels at the end.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Capfalcon posted:

Jobs for The Run are out:

Knight
Berserker
Geomancer
Dragoon

That's... a list all right.

My very first FJF was a very similar team, just swap Samurai in for Dragoon. It was a loving grind, got Brave Blade like an idiot, and got to level 39 to beat NED. Eventually I just tossed money at everything, but The Run can't even do that! I feel like people will get impatient waiting for the last of the runners to finish up.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
It memory serves you can !Jump with Chicken Knife safely. Could be the best way for Geo to contribute to some later game fights.

Grinding out every random encounter for Brave Blade strats in a speed run is some "I ran the numbers, I had to burn the shield" level routing

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I registered onto the website and it's... not giving me my jobs?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
They'll go up when it starts, midnight JST on the line between the 27th/28th.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mandoric posted:

They'll go up when it starts, midnight JST on the line between the 27th/28th.

Right, I see.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Er, 17th/18th, sorry. Numbers are hard.

Front page should give you a countdown, and of course you'll actually get them one by one unless you just mash the "yes I got that crystal" button.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Pre-registered! I gotta say, I'm liking the new interface and options.

I went with Meteor-Upgrade-FifthJob-RISK because while I do want something stupid and risky, I'm not willing to put myself through No750's near-certitude of yet more Dragoons.

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
I decided to go with Volcano for my first run, and ended up getting an Elixir in the Wind Shrine while preparing for that run.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
:toxx: Hunting Rare Game: I will donate money for each run that defeats specific normal enemies before other specific bosses. Specifically, I'll donate $1 for each time one of the following enemies is beaten before the boss:

Garula before Living Flame
Jackanapes before Byblos
Prototype before Sol Cannon
Skull Eater before Archaeoaevis
Shield Dragon before Tyrannosaur
Exdeath's Soul before Stoker (the Island Shrine boss)
Stingray before Leviathan
King Behemoth before Azulmagia

Of course, you still need to beat the boss, too. I'm still brainstorming, so I might come up with other ideas or change this before the fiesta actually starts. I'm welcome to other folks' ideas too.

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
Movers before Omniscient
Exoray before Leviathan

CourtlyHades296 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 3, 2023

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I definitely thought of making people go all the way back out of the rift, but in practice I think it’d just be boring to do

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
I will be doing a :toxx: for full Bestiary completion. $1 per SNES/PS1/PR/GBA without Sealed Temple run, $3 per GBA with Sealed Temple run, with both having an extra $1 on top of that for doing it with Natural enabled, up to a maximum of $35.

CourtlyHades296 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 3, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

More power to those who want to do it but prowling the world 3 ocean for rare encounters was not a good time IMO.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

More power to those who want to do it but prowling the world 3 ocean for rare encounters was not a good time IMO.

that's what GBA is for

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

nrook posted:

:toxx: Hunting Rare Game: I will donate money for each run that defeats specific normal enemies before other specific bosses. Specifically, I'll donate $1 for each time one of the following enemies is beaten before the boss:

Garula before Living Flame

???

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I assume it is referring to the Garulas outside of Walse Tower rather than the boss, although they aren't rare

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Jose Valasquez posted:

I assume it is referring to the Garulas outside of Walse Tower rather than the boss, although they aren't rare

Rare? No. Hard to kill without L2 summons and/or L3 black magic? Yes. They have a tendency to run away before you can, which is good for a minimum level game but bad for the purpose of the challenge.

Likewise Jackanapes before Byblos means your only damage option is mythril hammers or the single shuriken from Karnak (no access to Doom Sickle) and Prototype before Sol Cannon means no chemist/samurai access, mostly.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 3, 2023

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

KataraniSword posted:

Likewise Jackanapes before Byblos means your only damage option is mythril hammers or the single shuriken from Karnak (no access to Doom Sickle) and Prototype before Sol Cannon means no chemist/samurai access, mostly.

They're level 20 :ssh:

Goblin Punch at level 9 might be a Garula solution

BLU solves so many problems

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The sheer audacity of making it to the library and learning level 5 death, only to turn around and leave without fighting the boss and instead walk all the way back to Walse to raid the basement.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I signed up and all the crystals just say 'locked' and I don't have anyway to unlock them to discover my first job. Any idea what's up? I selected 'regular run' did I gently caress up?

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

You can’t see your jobs until the fiesta officially starts which is usually around mid-June once The Run is over.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Ah ok, thank you.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Felt like I was on top of Normal runs the past few go-rounds, so dipping my toes into something more complex with a Volcano run w/ Berserker Risk this time around.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

So I've been pondering how the new rulesets impact the odds of rolling a given job combo, particularly for Volcano. I'm guessing the way it works under the hood is that Gilgabot actually rolls for the earth crystal first and works backwards. Otherwise, if you're doing a 750 or No750 run without dupes, it would be possible to end up in a situation where there's no available jobs left to assign. Besides avoiding that, this also has a small but noticeable effect on the probabilities involved. Rolling a wind job is slightly more likely than it would be if they got picked in the normal order, for instance. It's also good news for me, because calculating the exact odds for the normal order is an enormous pain in the rear end. I ran the numbers on a standard all jobs Volcano run, and let's just say I'm in no hurry to repeat the process with other modifiers included.

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
From the FAQ

Volcano Run

This type of run leans towards later available Jobs.
Job 1 will come from the Wind, Water, Fire, or Earth Crystal.
Job 2 will come from the Water, Fire, or Earth Crystal.
Job 3 will come from the Fire or Earth Crystal.
Job 4 will come from the Earth Crystal.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

You've misunderstood their problem there. They want to know how it is generated in the code, not "what is each run type".

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

:white101: that's a flail missing.

You asked for it.

There's a flail in the Wind Smilie!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Bregor posted:

Has anyone figured out linking your old Twitter handle/run history to the new Google sign-on?

https://twitter.com/ff5forfutures/status/1665179798740561921?s=46&t=qe_Y8YJnNikGLo_JUDPyAQ

Looks like it’s in the works :unsmith:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Successfully pre-registered, so let’s do this. Not having to gently caress with Twitter is a huge step forward.

Just need to figure out a way to avoid running out of steam in World 2, which has killed all my previous attempts.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

I don't really like the new names of the categories, but I feel like that boils down to, "past years worked just fine, why change the name now?"

It's still a fun charity event, and it gives me an excuse to look at what people are rolling with their new categories.

Naturally (NOT NATURAL), Meteor sounded like my speed with dupes, can't wait for dancer and 3 berserkers again.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah this new registration system is much more streamlined overall, always nice to not have to deal with twitter.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Any word on who the Runners are yet?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I wonder how many runs are going to be derailed by FFXVI releasing basically immediately after the fiesta starts.

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
It turns out the SNES repro of FFV I got has a B-button run function added to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I wonder how many runs are going to be derailed by FFXVI releasing basically immediately after the fiesta starts.

Hopefully not too many, because FFXVI will probably not be playable on phones or pocket portables.

Speaking of which, if anyone is interested in doing the fiesta but does not yet own a portable device to play FF5 on, why not scootch on over to the retro consoles thread and ask about what device might be right for you?