Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
They'll go up when it starts, midnight JST on the line between the 27th/28th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Er, 17th/18th, sorry. Numbers are hard.

Front page should give you a countdown, and of course you'll actually get them one by one unless you just mash the "yes I got that crystal" button.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Feldegast42 posted:

God that fight is gonna take hours, because the proc rate is low and rug wizard has regen.

I had poo poo for magic one run last year and sent a SAM with masher up solo (after rediscovering hippieshit.gif) and it was like ten minutes. It's a good length to be funny but not absurd.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

That's, uh, gonna be a little bit dull, but there's very little I'm not going to be able to carve through. Stats will be decent, no magic but I don't have barely anything that scales on magic. Another one of those maybe unironically do brave blade rolls, the only difficult-but-doable i think I'll see is getting enough Thundaga on Omega and Ragnarok's probably off the table unless I hit a breakpoint where drain sword and AFK?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
There's also FF3 Karateka, which was if my math's correct was the first way in the series to break 9999 in a single hit. (Honorable mention for second goes to Onion Knight, which needs even more levels and some undocumented rare-drop grinding; after that it's Break Damage Limit a decade-plus later.)

I don't think the full expectation was that players would turbogrind; remember, NED phase 2 is conceptually very like Cloud of Darkness, demanding partywide heals on pace with it doing its thing, just with the added complication that toned-down until the enrage but still full HP versions of Echidna/Ahriman/2HD are also there loving with you, and additionally remember that it's four entries, but also only four years, removed from the entry where you were straight expected to run from the bad random encounter rolls because that's how D&D worked. I'd be interested, though, to check out the at-the-time strategy guides as a picture of pre-internet "meta", maybe I'll throw them in my next proxy order.

e: there's also an interesting tangent with some intriguing arguments to be made that the original FF jobs are AD&D 1E Oriental Adventures', well, orientalist bullshit through a mirror; monks or ninja? those are normal things normal people do, they're just real good at hitting things with normal commonly-produced weapons if any weapon at all, maybe their special abilities are magic maybe they're just smoke bombs, probably end up numerically superior in a straigh-up fight at the end! knights, though? THOSE guys are exotic, they must have all these awesome one-of-a-kinds, come with special mystic powers and alignment-locked skill trees (PLD/DRK, especially including the early-dev-phase FF3 design of knight upgrading to paladin and magic swordsman upgrading to dark swordsman, but also taking into account that SoP three decades on is the closest FF has come to distinguishing sword-and-board "knight" from Galahad expy holy magic "paladin" for players since,) get the tearful reunion-duels with their shisho as they prove they've surpassed him, etc, etc.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 18, 2023

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
It never clicked for me until now that Mime is also a heavy armor job. Made Garula a lot easier than I was expecting.

E: Thoughts on how mime/freelancer/THF/MK will turn out, as of getting THF:

- A party of all Mimes is a very interesting tactical niche for offline FF. No offense, all defense, where every other heavy armor class gets some sort of mid- to heavy weapon. This only becomes more noticeable when Freelancer comes along; the Karnak 500 was probably my high mark of "huh that's kinda broken", with four fully-armored characters using four top-of-the-line back row OK weapons.
- !Mimic seens almost completely useless this game in battles that aren't Liquid Flame/Byblos; I will get exactly for actives, one of which can only be used once a battle, two of which have no cost, and one of which has a very small cost. It came in handy before Hi-Potions for focus-firing regular pots on someone who had gotten focused fired, but now I'm back to one-item fullheals, and by the time I'm much over 500 HP I will have Drain. It does mean that whichever character stays in Mime doesn't have to worry about not having dipped out yet, but eh.
- All the oddball weapons work out very well for me. I actually went and robbed a Sand Bear and the Javelin is serving me well, through midgame I'm going to have two with Death Sickles into three with Twin Lances.
- Fork Tower will be needed for Flare. Last couple tablets, eh, if the challenge is still open.
- I don't want to deal with NED's enrage, and with nothing that passes down a notable stamina stat I don't want to deal with Almagest. I can Break the Almagest part, but my only fast solution to another part is gonna be the lamp.
- Lategame the MK and especially the THF will be pretty poo poo. MK could take !Mug and a CK, but won't have the AGI boost, so down to Enhancer it is unless I need a very specific weapon on the freelancer; THF is stuck with without one of !Mug or !Spellblade, and will only have light armor.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 23, 2023

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Unreal_One posted:

MK is tied for second on agility, +14 vs thief's +16, so most of the time should have the same M as your freelancer or mime with CK. That said you probably want CK on your mime, a knight sword on free and enhancer on MK.

PR, so I get two (or do the extremely dumb thing of BB for free and CK for mime followed by a solid 500 or so fights without running.) I didn't think of MK's good AGI, but still, "never having worse M" beats "sometimes having worse M", and there's not really anything else that hot I can put on the Mime other than maybe Twin Lance.

... Hmm, the usual big problem with Twin Lance is usually that defense actually exists on later fights and it hurts two 61 attack hits a lot worse than one ~100 attack, I might have to do some experimenting with Flare as potential a way to give the second CK over to the MK.

For normal fights, they're normal fights and again PR so press □ and wait for win or !Flee, but hmm. Walking-around config might end up CKs/!Mug on the MK and THF, Twin Lance on Mime, Masamune or something on Freelancer. Excalibur's an option too for having a sword to cast on if I need to assume control.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 23, 2023

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I underestimated how good it would feel on trash to have three Twin Lance wielders, one of whom can !Mug.

Might go down and antimurder more statues until it's two, not gonna do all three though as the only other World 2 important skill is !Spellblade 4 on three characters (fourth can just mime) and I already have it on two.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
You can "safely" try to proc silence on him by sitting in back row and hitting yourself with a Mage Masher. He isn't damaging you with a Reflect Ring, if it procs it will reflect onto him and you can pull out a Drain Kiss/(does Dark Elixir work on him?/Goliath Tonic for safety/etc).

Not necessarily the best solution, but one that literally any job but MNK can handle him eventually with.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 7, 2023

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Phoenix Tower is such a lovely place to farm money if you've got !Mug. Nothing's particularly threatening and the drops/steals off everything are worth 2500-25000 gil each.

Sadly, I don't need to farm gil, so the 400k or so I got just from combat loot goes to waste.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
And, done. !Steal and !Spellblade are basically a free run to begin with, combining them a Mime and a Freelancer is just full autopilot other than being quick on the inputs for zerking Shinryu, stoning the Almagest part, and lamping the magic part.
I can't see a viable Omega, though, with no autohits, no stop spam, and no quickleak.

I didn't take Excalibur, Masamune, and Apollo Harp first/ignore the rest, but I should have. Even Apollo Harp was basically just for Leviathan and if I somehow didn't get a Dragon Spear out of my entirely !Mug-based autobattle cycle, but the Assassin Dagger only saw action because !Break on demand for NED was more important than anydamage the THF could've done. Regardless,

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Nocheez posted:

I'm in awe of these runs. I really struggled at the end game, but y'all are really running at the end boss with like 1000hp and I can't even imagine.

You can really strangle NED's damage.
Back is instakilled by the third cast of the Magic Lamp from a refresh, and bottom takes a few rounds to charge up Almagest and in the meantime is vulnerable to Break at a rate of (8 + Lv) * 0.2, or roughly for that comp (1 - 0.06)^15 = 60% that you'll get it before it fires.
That leaves the physical part, which you will always out-action-economy even if it kills a character every turn--one to Phoenix Down, two left to keep blasting--but from a theoretical high of 2821 damage against a 0-Defense target is actually doing more like 2000, halved from back row and then halved again from Protect for 500.
And the status part, which is pure RNG--it can fire Dead, Stone, Zombie, Berserk and end a run but it can also fire Darkness on the BLM/Mini on the MNK that's just there as an item-tosser/Silence on the THF/Poison on the RDM.

When doing it this way, you do have to count and spread your damage to avoid the enrage with one part left--at more "normal" levels you might decide you can keep up with a -ga spell a round and prefer to save the third lamp cast for right when back is left alone.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 26, 2023

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

SirSystemError posted:

Saw a similar thing with two Chicken Knives on a video I saw while doing some research for my current run. How's it work?

Quicksave when offered the choice, reload, pick the box you want, try to leave and the event triggers again and refreshes the boxes.

Next year I'm tempted to offer a challenge to go into NED with a full-power CK and BB. It's only 254 escapes followed by 750 consecutive wins, easy-peasy.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 29, 2023

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Time to make a huge mistake and try to blitz Onion.

E: PLD, MNK, BRD, NIN. Might be able to squeeze a Triple Crown out of this one, since I can bring a level 99 Monk's autohit 248~266 base damage kicks to bear against a stunlocked Omega.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 29, 2023

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Throwing anime reminds me of work, though. :(

Kick isn't 100%ing for me, I guess as part of the weird PR implementation that makes it also inherit weapon attack? Thanks for the reminder that I have a way around that.

(Relatedly, I'm not recording, but I just saw a kick glitch in action--got attacked during its charge, countered, then threw out a double kick.)

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
PLD, MNK, BRD, NIN finishing thoughts as I dive into the rift, where I'm already sure of every strat:

This is a very good roll, it comes with everything to triple crown without serious grind. But also, after run after run of ugh I got THF, I really wish I had gotten THF instead of MNK. WHM would have improved it quite a bit too, unusually even aside from avoiding frantic item micro for heals--rods and staves is a lack I've definitely felt, not so much for breaking as for niche onhits.

Given the three-calendar-day timer, I'm glad FF5 is the last of the short-and-sweet FFs, even though the more involved event choreography takes away from that a bit. But also, this lineup kind of suffers from it--
MNK, of course, the exponential scaler, kind of waddles in uselessness the whole way as 5's easily the lowest-level leveled endgame short of 8. PR change to make !Kick a single autoattack on all targets helps a bit when paired with Equip Sword and this will almost definitely be an Excalibur-holder in the endgame. If I ever do a conversion hack I'm definitely bringing in 4's elemental/status claws, both to give them a place and to remove how tied to MK that whole field of potential is.
Relatedly, the PLD/NIN dynamic where dual-wielding is supposed to feel Really Hype but it's just a slightly worse (twice as expensive to impossible for uniques) but fully passive DblGrip. I understand that the job that Just Swords Hard needs to get the really cool swords, and that a combination of the game flow and space in the item list on a cartridge probably smaller than this page of this thread with avatars/thumbnails included means there's little room for non-really-cool swords--but the result is that there is kiiiind of a Great Value MK option, but it's just PLD and only in the midgame and only LIT/ICE/FIR. Again on those conversion ideas, I'd probably convert a bunch of the knight swords to standard ones to compensate MK for losing its niche, then make DblGrip double A instead of M to give PLD a niche back (and make Brave Blade useful for something other than "I have literally no effect-overriders"--that's 110 A to spare even after Omega's defense.) Meanwhile, NIN's weapon selection should be opened up to staves and rods, both thematically and to lean on the potential benefits of dual-wielding; my ideal here is ie mainhand for raw damage but also offhand "keep this debuff refreshed" outside of offhanding a Mage Masher, like my weapon allocation is now fixed on BB/Thief Knife to my PLD's BB and my MNK's kick fuel (and better even without the double attack on NED) Excalibur--on NED the Thief Knife will just be Ragnarok.

Oh, relatedly, I have literally no effect-overriders except maybe boost, and boost would be overflowing the advantage away, so why not do something stupid

BRD is typically considered not a very fun walking-around job for normal playthroughs, like GEO because of its general garbage gear selection, but like GEO autobattle makes it one of the best. Set to Love Song and forget about random battles while still getting the gil and exp and drops.

... Which is good, because my single biggest stopper this run was nearly two hours fishing for Reflect Rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
And, that's a wrap.

Basically everything skippable was skipped, and I even went with Apollo Harp and the two knives rather than Excalibur (which turned out to save my bacon--Shinryu refused to zombie me so my "bounce atomic rays off zombies" plan shifted on the fly into "oh god I hope I can get 11 turns chucking shuriken/playing the harp".)

NED was a bag of dicks because Almagest was a guaranteed double kill with a -ga from the back immediately after usually making that triple, but eventually I got it into Dispel and a nonthreatening Grand Cross. Final setup was Hermes Sandals and shop armor on all since I didn't feel like playing with Necrophobia and didn't have access to anything else special, MNK pure Almagest insurance HP Up 30%; NIN backup DPS (~4k) after throwing my last fuma shuriken and even Sasuke's katana, Equip Swords, BB/Ragnarok; PLD two-fisting the other BB for around 7k; BRD singing the level song until getting pasted by Almagest and switching over to secondary heals, Equip Shield, Main Gauche/Aegis.