Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Lamuella posted:

OK, so two and a bit weeks into July here's where we are:

Mix of techniques on these. I gave up on speedpaints because the results, while quick, were too brash. Instead I did a zenithal on everything, a brown wash over the zenithal, and then a mixture of either acrylic paints or acrylic inks. Partway through the month I bought a bunch of dropper bottles for various projects and used them to mix up appropriate strengths of red, yellow, and blue ink in solution with matte medium and a little bit of airbrush flow improver. The result was a really workable glaze that I could mix to get green and orange (while using blue and red as well) for skintones. I tried doing the same with gold ink with slightly less success.

Still to go: two character minis, one zombi snake, and then Big Snake.

Zombie Snake. Still a couple of models to paint before I get to the big guy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I, with a rebel yell she QQd, Oath to paint Jago Sevatarion (GW/FW) in July!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

And with the big guy done, that's the oath completed. Will have to see if I can do a group shot

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lamuella posted:

And with the big guy done, that's the oath completed. Will have to see if I can do a group shot

"Never talk to me or my son or my son or my son or my son or my son or my son or my son or my son or my son again"

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
Oaths Complete!

So I was going to extend my oath and could have sworn I took a pic, but I can't find it anywhere, maybe accidentally deleted... Anyhow I added in a Zombie Beholder (Wizkids I think) to my rock monster, which I'm just gonna include... A bit of Gore but not a ton:

I did end up going in with the TAP speedpaints this time again (after dumping ~100 bux on the mega set I thought i'd better try), and actually was pretty happy with the results for the Beholder. Basically I used speedpaint for the basecoat, then layered with regular (older) TAP and Citadel paints, then used the speedpaint again for some washes, which actually was pretty happy with. I'll try some more speedpaint projects next month.

Also included my wizards from last month in the pics, as I spent a bunch of time working on them throughout the month.

gameraMan fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 29, 2023

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?

Leperflesh posted:

"Never talk to me or my son or my son or my son or my son or my son or my son or my son or my son or my son again"

Lol ... I so want to buy that set, I love me some lizard dudes...

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

gameraMan posted:

Lol ... I so want to buy that set, I love me some lizard dudes...

The snake dudes set is "Epic Encounters: Chambers of the Serpent Folk". And the big mini is "Epic Encounters: Temple of the Snake God". There's a deal for both on Amazon right now. https://www.amazon.com/Steam-Forged-Games-Encounters-Chambers/dp/B098BQWGP3

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Oath complete!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

good poo poo

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Finished up the two Blade Demons for Demonship

So that's Oath Complete!

Now to start on the terrain...

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Oath Complete!

...all the way down to the promised crap photos sadly. I'll try to take something better (or at least in focus) later in the week. In the meantime:

This guy broke my will. He is a limited edition cast resin figure from the Mordheim FB group. The cast was full of holes and didn't fit together well. But that would have been fine except that the wafer thin resin sword snapped while I was wrangling the ill fitting hand onto the arm. Which is why it is now a ridiculous fat sword that looks like he chopped the head of that giant wolf with a sausage. Perhaps he did. I tried to disguise it with GW's gore paint, but it still looks like a sausage. He was going to be Tilean anyway so I'll change his surname to di Salami.

The Oath thread did its job though, because it forced me to finish him, so I can now move on to the next processed goods welding member of my not-Mordheim warband.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oath Complete!

I packed up my lightbox and need to find it and set it up again, something I don't have time to do because I let this get to the wire. Oops!

I struggled getting any gore on these that I didn't feel made them look messy, so ultimately I just skipped it. On to next month!

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
August Oaths!

Thanks all who participated last month! After much (well a little) thought, I'm proposing a new theme...

Cooling Off !
Include something 'cold' in your model, whether it be ice and snow, or perhaps just an overall 'cool' color scheme.

I was gonna go with 'Scorching' this month but thought, heck people could use a break from the heat...

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?

Lamuella posted:

The snake dudes set is "Epic Encounters: Chambers of the Serpent Folk". And the big mini is "Epic Encounters: Temple of the Snake God". There's a deal for both on Amazon right now. https://www.amazon.com/Steam-Forged-Games-Encounters-Chambers/dp/B098BQWGP3

Thanks! So tempting...

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?

Beffer posted:

The Oath thread did its job though, because it forced me to finish him, so I can now move on to the next processed goods welding member of my not-Mordheim warband.

I am glad the Oath thread is still doing it's job :-)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

OK, time to keep this going while keeping my goals modest...

I, Cthulu Carl, oath to complete the floor segments for Demonship

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Though a great fan of Warhammer 40,000, I’ve always found myself WHFB-adjacent - nobody near me wanted to play it and the closest I got was reading WD and drooling over the Army Books and Golden Daemon entries. During Covid I’ve come to enjoy solo gaming and so I decided it was finally time to build that 3rd/4th Edition Fantasy army of my dreams, and who else but the most red army of the red period? The majority of my sculpts are early middlehammer-style figures by Fabelzel, who has done excellent work in mimicking the original designs of... the Chaos Dwarfs!

I oath to paint 1 unit per month for the three months of Sept, Aug, November from the following backlog:

12 (Chaos) Dwarf Thunderers (with Blunderbusses)
15 Chaos Dwarf Warriors with Halberds + Full Command
15 Chaos (Hob) Goblins + Full Command
10 (Hob) Goblin Wolfboys
5 Chaos (Bull) Centaurs

That means: all basecoats and basing at minimum, ideally including lots of highlighting/etc and a movement tray. As a bonus, I would like to paint:

1 Chaos (Dwarf) Champion/Lord
1 Chaos (Dwarf) Sorcerer
1 (Deathstrike Rocket) Bazuka

In completion, this will give me 1250pts of 4th Ed. Chaos Dwarfs, and 750pts for 3rd Edition. The 3rd Edition army list is a patching together of Chaos Allies, Dwarfs, and Orcs & Goblins rather than a discrete list, but I think it is quite appropriate for oldhammer, especially since I'm not entirely sure I'll ever get around to playing it!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Though a great fan of Warhammer 40,000, I’ve always found myself WHFB-adjacent - nobody near me wanted to play it and the closest I got was reading WD and drooling over the Army Books and Golden Daemon entries. During Covid I’ve come to enjoy solo gaming and so I decided it was finally time to build that 3rd/4th Edition Fantasy army of my dreams, and who else but the most red army of the red period? The majority of my sculpts are early middlehammer-style figures by Fabelzel, who has done excellent work in mimicking the original designs of... the Chaos Dwarfs!

I oath to paint 1 unit per month for the three months of Sept, Aug, November from the following backlog:

12 (Chaos) Dwarf Thunderers (with Blunderbusses)
15 Chaos Dwarf Warriors with Halberds + Full Command
15 Chaos (Hob) Goblins + Full Command
10 (Hob) Goblin Wolfboys
5 Chaos (Bull) Centaurs

That means: all basecoats and basing at minimum, ideally including lots of highlighting/etc and a movement tray. As a bonus, I would like to paint:

1 Chaos (Dwarf) Champion/Lord
1 Chaos (Dwarf) Sorcerer
1 (Deathstrike Rocket) Bazuka

In completion, this will give me 1250pts of 4th Ed. Chaos Dwarfs, and 750pts for 3rd Edition. The 3rd Edition army list is a patching together of Chaos Allies, Dwarfs, and Orcs & Goblins rather than a discrete list, but I think it is quite appropriate for oldhammer, especially since I'm not entirely sure I'll ever get around to playing it!

That is a hard core oath. Respect

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Beffer posted:

That is a hard core oath. Respect

Is it too ambitious? It's been a while since I painted 28mm figures but I thought that one unit per month of ~15 figures (i..e. three units out of that big list) would be a fairly reasonable goal?!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Southern Heel posted:

Is it too ambitious? It's been a while since I painted 28mm figures but I thought that one unit per month of ~15 figures (i..e. three units out of that big list) would be a fairly reasonable goal?!

No way to know until you try. Just bear in mind that it's one figure every two days.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Here are the two units of chaos dwarf infantry I am hoping to paint. You can see two different styles of sculpts in the blunderbuss unit, one is a freebie I found online, and the other is a sculptor that I subscribed to on Patreon: he many proxy models and so I’m thinking of replacing all the gunners with his style. Probably makes sense to do the Warriors first.!

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?

Southern Heel posted:

And a reminder that there's no penalty for failure! Just show us how far you got, and keep going next month :-)

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
August Oath!

Nozlur's Blue Dragon, going in with the Cold theme:

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I, Beffer, oath this empire swordsman from GW and a printed resin stuntie from Highland Minis

edit: now with time stamp!

Beffer fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 5, 2023

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath this Reaper Bones dragon for July. Going to take up the challenge and try to make it an icewing

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I moths oath these galactic crusaders and some of their tiny rad vehicles for August:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

X-post from the Minis Painting thread:

Southern Heel posted:

I did a test model for my oath - I tried to keep the layers and palette size small and I think it's mostly worked:

I have a couple of problems with it - - mostly that the blue and the red are too dark. The blue is just a case of starting lighter but I'm not sure about the red - I went with Vallejo Heavy Red > Vermillion > Flaming Orange but it is still quite dull. Any thoughts or opinions before I paint another 30 of these would be gladly appreciated...

The remainder of the Oath (minus the Bull Centaurs!):

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
Oathing for the following: Nine bases of Infantry and a Company Commander for O Group.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

Here are the two units of chaos dwarf infantry I am hoping to paint. You can see two different styles of sculpts in the blunderbuss unit, one is a freebie I found online, and the other is a sculptor that I subscribed to on Patreon: he many proxy models and so I’m thinking of replacing all the gunners with his style. Probably makes sense to do the Warriors first.!

5/15 warriors done!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

All basecoats down for my dwarfs, and a regiment tray painted

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?

Southern Heel posted:

All basecoats down for my dwarfs, and a regiment tray painted

These guys are super cool, thanks for the progress pics!

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Progress. First of 3 platoons painted.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I guess this is Oath Complete

Spent most of the month trying to figure out if I should mount the deck plates or try to magnetize them or something so they stay together. In the end, I just went with gluing them to some XPS foam, using Mod Podge covered masking tape to cover the edges, and also using a magnetic sheet on the bottom so I can stick it down for transport/storage, and also to set it on some 123 blocks to help keep it steady when in use.

The blood and vomit might be a little too much and the paint job itself too plain, but looks all right enough when it's got all the other terrain bits on it.

I need to revisit most of the terrain anyway because there's quite a bit of warping on the them.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

OATH COMPLETE

For a bonus round I'm working on some tank support and terrain.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Oath complete!

Complete with dodgy photography, in fact.

Here are my two new band members:

A slightly better photo of my pit fighter from last month. It's clear that the lighting is my main problem as these photos were taken with an iPhone with minimal attempt to steady the camera. It's not a good photo but an improvement on last time.

And the whole crew (more to come) emerging from the Tomb of my Retaining Wall

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Really excellent job there Beffer!

Hobgoblin Wolf Rider / Goblin Wulfboyz Wolves are basically done but for highlighting the saddles:

I went with contrast paints on these because they'll just end up being drybrushed anyway!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oath complete! I ended up phoning in the bases after realizing I need to scale up about 10-15% more, but this was a good exercise.

E: forgot to mention cold tones on these world eaters! I usually do warm whites, and this is just a better look.

moths fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 31, 2023

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath complete!

Going with some cold tones for this ice dragon!

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I, with a rebel yell she QQd, Oath to paint this 2nd edition marine (GW) in August!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Oath complete!