Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I, Muir, Oath the Jedi Hunters squad pack from Star Wars Shatterpoint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Muir posted:

I, Muir, Oath the Jedi Hunters squad pack from Star Wars Shatterpoint

Oath complete!

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I, with a rebel yell she QQd, Oath to paint these 3 Hobgoblin Sneaky Gits (GW) in January!

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

A painted Grell and the Gorger mawband that kept distracting me.

Technically he needs wash and a base still, but the grell is game night ready in my opinion.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
Some Recent Oaths Complete!

Finally got in the right mood and finished up some languishing figures, from maybe 3 months ago a couple of dudes, a plague doctor:

And a swordsman:

Who was going to be my original OSL experiment, given the torch. But then I did some actual research and learned best gotta go all in OSL from the start and not try to patch on later (those attempts on this fig have been painted over, except just a bit of reflection of the torch on the sword).

Next from December finished up my Tis the Season/Winter's Wolves

Feel like this guy hits both parts of the theme, the snow and fur part, plus making him a bit of a Santa Troll figure

And incomplete but progress made, bone devil from Nov and next OSL experiment Hag from Jan:

Thanks folks for keeping the thread going!

gameraMan fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 31, 2024

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Oath complete!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

They look great. I love the toenails! And I'm relieved you got your gobbos off those filthy round bases.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Beffer posted:

They look great. I love the toenails! And I'm relieved you got your gobbos off those filthy round bases.

For a good 10 minutes you freaked me out, as I was sure I never showed these minis online so you had to visit my apartment to see them on round bases.

Then I realised I put two of them on the painting handles with round bases attached for the oath photo...

I have to stop drinking.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I have to stop drinking.

Never the right answer

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Belated oath complete because I am bad with time.

Muir posted:

Oath complete!
These look very cool, well done on the black outfits!

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I, Tibalt, Oath to paint this Navy Breacher killteam and Gorger Mawpack warband in February

17 (at least) models is maybe a little ambitious, but the Gorgers are already partially done so we'll see.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I, Beffer, swear to paint these several beastie boys from GW this February

I'm setting myself up for failure here, as I'm very slow and I really struggle painting lots of the same thing. But I want them done, and I need the motivation. So here we are.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

SirFozzie posted:

I oath by March 1st, I will have at least 50 pages (Microsoft Word count, with minimal formatting) written for a D&D style Fantasy Setting.

OATH COMPLETE!

Now, if only I had oathed for a regular D&D game to run it in :(

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I, Muir, Oaff the last three Shatterpoint models I have unpainted from the first wave of releases, for this February. That is, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Luminara Unduli, and Bariss Offee.

Just in time for the next wave to start on February 23!

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
February Oathing!

Hey let's keep on rolling and painting thanks all for posting your figs!

Anyhow I think I'll suggest for Feb Patterns as a Prompt, either maybe something manmade like stripes or checkered patterns on clothing, or animal patterns like on a leopard.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?

SirFozzie posted:

OATH COMPLETE!

Now, if only I had oathed for a regular D&D game to run it in :(

Hey good on you but maybe some more info or a screenshot of something... want details! (Speaking as an old school D&D DM and writer of many scenarios...)

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?

Beffer posted:

I, Beffer, swear to paint these several beastie boys from GW this February

I'm setting myself up for failure here, as I'm very slow and I really struggle painting lots of the same thing. But I want them done, and I need the motivation. So here we are.

DO IT!!! (or at least, 'TRY to do it... :-) )

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

gameraMan posted:

Hey good on you but maybe some more info or a screenshot of something... want details! (Speaking as an old school D&D DM and writer of many scenarios...)

Part I: Before the Beginning
In the beginning, all was chaos. Everything was possible. Nothing was formed, but anything could happen and eventually did. The Mother formed in that formless chaos, and she beheld all of Creation, and pursed her lips.

“There is too much that could be, and not enough that is...” she said, the first words ever spoken, and with that, she went to work on setting creation to her liking. She worked the raw stuff of reality like a potter spins clay on his wheel, shaping it, giving it form. This work greatly tired her, and she needed to rest. But she knew that if she stopped working, the universe would lose its shape, and everything, including the Mother, would dissolve into chaos once more.

So, with a significant effort, the Mother brought the first Gods into existence. Being infused with the same creation shaping power as the Mother, they could take her place when the Great Work tired her and she needed to rest. All seemed well, and the Mother decided that she could take her rest.

However, the gods were all more interested in shaping the new-born world to their own interest, and conflicts started to form between gods, even those with aligning interest. This was abetted in secret by the Nameless, a bit of Creation that slipped out of the Mother’s hands, and desired nothing more than to return everything to the formless nothing that preceded the Mother’s appearance. The young races were quickly subsumed into the Godswars , and it was a time of great conflict and sorrow. Even the most benevolent of Gods ended up pushing their followers into great conflicts to satisfy their pride and desire to rework Creation according to their own view.

Soon, even then was not enough for the Gods, and they began to take an active role in the conflicts. It is said that the Gods themselves walked amongst the world to do battle, and due to their lack of interest in maintaining the world’s balance, the world suffered. Great cataclysms soon rent the land, the effects of which are still being felt today in some regions. Great legions of demons, the bits of the Nameless formed into a twisted parody of the young races, soon joined the great wars.

Finally, the situation was dire enough to require the Mother to return from her slumber, and she was greatly displeased to see the danger that her children-Gods had placed the world in. She acted quickly, barring the Gods from directly appearing in the world below, and made sure that they kept the new world stable.

They could assist their followers through granting a sliver of their abilities (now known as divine magic) to their followers, but no longer would Gods and Goddesses fight each other on the mortal plains, lest the world be affected.

(edit: This is about a 1/3d of the "Before the Beginning" section: In short, the Mother made Dragonkind to battle the Nameless, the Dragons eventually wanted to get on with their own thing instead of getting in skirmishes with the Nameless, tried launching a great crusade to strike in the heart of the Nameless's domain, but was corrupted into forgetting that a Gate works both ways, and ended up pulling something similar to the Mists of Eberron. Since then, the lands covered by the Nameless's corruption (Called the changeland) are constantly in flux. Only hardy groups of nomadic travellers can survive there.)

One thing that I'm trying to refine is the Trade Kingdoms of Maalen, who have a unique form of government. They have no Kings, just a council of Ten that makes all decisions. A Councilor serves a five year term, so there is an election every six months. Every citizen gets 1 vote, but people and trade companies can earn extra votes by paying 100 GP in extra taxes per extra vote, so needless to say, great amounts of money is spent literally trying to buy a Council seat.

The Council's vote system is unusual, as it cycles, waxing and waning in power due to its place in the cycle. The original thought was that someone who has spent five years in the Council's business should have the most say in the council's decisions, since they are best placed to understand the issue. This is combined with the belief that the closer one is to re-election, the better one must do the job (in order to keep the public's faith in them doing their job). So a newly voted council member only has 1 vote, but as the cycle of elections goes through, their vote power increases. After six months, their vote is worth 2, one year, 3, etcetera, until in the six months before their re-election, their vote is worth 10. (So, there's 45 votes, with councilors having voting power from 1-10 depending on their council seat position)

This leads to all kind of trade company shenanigans, as the most powerful councillors have the most incentive for short term fixes (to ensure their re-election), or to loot the treasury as best they can (legally and quasi-legally) on their way out. For the longest time, this usually meant making the great trading Houses happy by cracking down on the peasants and workers, but recently, the Council of Laborers pooled their money and actually won an election, so they have a small (but eventually growing) voice in Council Business. Needless to say, giving the worker rabble an actual say on how things are done is an abhorrent idea to the great Trade Houses, so they're trying desperately trying to co-opt, influence, or destroy the Laborers before they get a chance to grow any more powerful in how the Trade Kingdoms run)

Needless to say, it's a bit pointed to something LIKE Late Stage Capitalism where the government is literally for sale every six months, but I figure a bunch of players would never turn down a chance to stick it to The Man, or become The Man..

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 3, 2024

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

February Oath!

I moths, oath this Gorstane Mortevell box:

It's 20 Ghouls, 3 Crypt Horrors, and a Striogi Vampire.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Muir posted:

I, Muir, Oaff the last three Shatterpoint models I have unpainted from the first wave of releases, for this February. That is, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Luminara Unduli, and Bariss Offee.

Just in time for the next wave to start on February 23!

Not feeling like pushing myself too much right now, so I'm calling them done. I did do some decent highlighting and shading on the robe for Offee (far left model).

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
gameraMan Feb Oath!

Plan to finish up lightning hag from Jan (and OSL):

And as part of Pattern a bunch of fungi and an old school shambling mound (old school Ral Partha, prob '81)

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I, with a rebel yell she QQd, Oath to paint these 12 Chaos Warriors (GW) in February!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I, Beffer, must confess to be a despicable pathbreaker despite the leap year bonus day in February

Current progress is one base coat on skin of 4 of 9 models. Ah well.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Oath complete!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Is the banner freehand? Very cool

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Beffer posted:

Is the banner freehand? Very cool

Sadly not. It's a bunch of transfers combined.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
Feb Oath Complete!

Managed to remember Feb is a rather short month...

Anyhow fungi are completed with Pattern met, those being a combination of a couple of mushroom models plus all the little ones I made with green stuff. That was fun to work on.

Shambling mound I may pick up again later, fig not in great shape (many squashed details) as I played with it a lot when I was like 12 and most of those minis took rather a beating back then.

Got as far as I think I'll go with the Hag, not the best quality fig and kind of struggled with that. Kind of ok with the OSL from last month, think I'll try that again some other time.

Finally finishing up a bone demon from like December or earlier...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I got everything painted to a playable standard, but the bases are still a mess. The app doesn't let me upload to Imgur anymore, so that might have been all the fun I can have here.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
I pretty much use Imgur in a browser and don’t have upload issues, maybe give that a try? Also I’d be happy to post your pics myself if you send them to me

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?

Beffer posted:

I, Beffer, must confess to be a despicable pathbreaker despite the leap year bonus day in February

Current progress is one base coat on skin of 4 of 9 models. Ah well.

Progress shots are welcome and encouraged! And also finishing up a month or so later is kind of a theme this season…

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
March Oathing!

Hey folks let's keep rolling, I'm going to propose Something Old for this month, let's say something you've had in the backlog a looong time but didn't tackle for some reason.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Does the thing i failed to do last month count?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I forgot to post anything last month, which is goofy because I painted a shitload of terrain. Oh well!

I, Ashcans, oath these 3 converted Arco-flagellants for March

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?

Beffer posted:

Does the thing i failed to do last month count?

Hey I don't see why not!

I don't know if you've seen my own post history but I have had painting projects linger over months... Keep painting and keep posting!

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?

Ashcans posted:

I forgot to post anything last month, which is goofy because I painted a shitload of terrain. Oh well!

I, Ashcans, oath these 3 converted Arco-flagellants for March

Well definitely want to see your un-oathed oaths! (I think 'retroactive forgot to oath oath' will become a new thing)

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
March Oath!

So back maybe 15 years or so ago I started painting again when my son and his friends got into WH4K for a short time. But I was always more into fantasy stuff and started working on Warhammer fantasy figs (those I might use for a D&D game), a bunch of Lizardmen, and bought a couple bigger sets including Slann Mage-Priest, for which this is the chariot thingie with his translator skink dude or whatever. However I dropped off painting for a while (years) and then only picked up again doing D&D type figures (via cheap Reaper Bones figs) for a long time so my lizardmen have gathered a lot of dust. Time to break them out!

gameraMan fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 11, 2024

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

gameraMan posted:

March Oath!

So back maybe 15 years or so ago I started painting again when my son and his friends got into WH4K for a short time. But I was always more into fantasy stuff and started working on Warhammer fantasy figs (those I might use for a D&D game), a bunch of Lizardmen, and bought a couple bigger sets including Slann Mage-Priest, for which this is the chariot thingie with his translator skink dude or whatever. However I dropped off painting for a while (years) and then only picked up again doing D&D type figures (via cheap Reaper Bones figs) for a long time so my lizardmen have gathered a lot of dust. Time to break them out!

Fixed your image tags. All part of the great plan.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I, with a rebel yell she QQd, Oath to paint this Carnival of Chaos brother (GW) in March! Claiming Rescue Ranger as I got this far with the painting in 2021 and its about time I finished it.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Oath complete!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?

Beffer posted:

Fixed your image tags. All part of the great plan.

Oops thank you!!