Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I, Beffer, oath to paint this mummy which is a random print that I picked up with something else on a whim

Long time oath thread lurker, first time participating poster. I'm looking for some painting inspiration at the moment, so hopefully this will give me a kick up the arse, even if it's just one mini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Oath complete

I guess the motivation part worked. Now to start improving my painting and photography

Beffer fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 8, 2023

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I Beffer oath this GW grey seer

His tail broke when I hit him with a toothbrush after a Dettol bath. He's been sitting primed on my paint box for several months, but cometh the hour cometh the rat.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Oath complete!

Except I still haven't learned how to take decent photos. I will keep trying but for the moment...

Edit: I tried with my DSLR. At least the depth of field is OK and it's more or less in focus. Any bluriness is my dodgy painting at this point:

Edit2: now with the white balance fixed:

Beffer fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 30, 2023

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I, Beffer, oath to paint this pit fighter from Grimforge Miniatures (and probably to post a badly lit out of focus picture of it) in the month of July

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Oath Complete!

...all the way down to the promised crap photos sadly. I'll try to take something better (or at least in focus) later in the week. In the meantime:

This guy broke my will. He is a limited edition cast resin figure from the Mordheim FB group. The cast was full of holes and didn't fit together well. But that would have been fine except that the wafer thin resin sword snapped while I was wrangling the ill fitting hand onto the arm. Which is why it is now a ridiculous fat sword that looks like he chopped the head of that giant wolf with a sausage. Perhaps he did. I tried to disguise it with GW's gore paint, but it still looks like a sausage. He was going to be Tilean anyway so I'll change his surname to di Salami.

The Oath thread did its job though, because it forced me to finish him, so I can now move on to the next processed goods welding member of my not-Mordheim warband.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Though a great fan of Warhammer 40,000, I’ve always found myself WHFB-adjacent - nobody near me wanted to play it and the closest I got was reading WD and drooling over the Army Books and Golden Daemon entries. During Covid I’ve come to enjoy solo gaming and so I decided it was finally time to build that 3rd/4th Edition Fantasy army of my dreams, and who else but the most red army of the red period? The majority of my sculpts are early middlehammer-style figures by Fabelzel, who has done excellent work in mimicking the original designs of... the Chaos Dwarfs!

I oath to paint 1 unit per month for the three months of Sept, Aug, November from the following backlog:

12 (Chaos) Dwarf Thunderers (with Blunderbusses)
15 Chaos Dwarf Warriors with Halberds + Full Command
15 Chaos (Hob) Goblins + Full Command
10 (Hob) Goblin Wolfboys
5 Chaos (Bull) Centaurs

That means: all basecoats and basing at minimum, ideally including lots of highlighting/etc and a movement tray. As a bonus, I would like to paint:

1 Chaos (Dwarf) Champion/Lord
1 Chaos (Dwarf) Sorcerer
1 (Deathstrike Rocket) Bazuka

In completion, this will give me 1250pts of 4th Ed. Chaos Dwarfs, and 750pts for 3rd Edition. The 3rd Edition army list is a patching together of Chaos Allies, Dwarfs, and Orcs & Goblins rather than a discrete list, but I think it is quite appropriate for oldhammer, especially since I'm not entirely sure I'll ever get around to playing it!

That is a hard core oath. Respect

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I, Beffer, oath this empire swordsman from GW and a printed resin stuntie from Highland Minis

edit: now with time stamp!

Beffer fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 5, 2023

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Oath complete!

Complete with dodgy photography, in fact.

Here are my two new band members:

A slightly better photo of my pit fighter from last month. It's clear that the lighting is my main problem as these photos were taken with an iPhone with minimal attempt to steady the camera. It's not a good photo but an improvement on last time.

And the whole crew (more to come) emerging from the Tomb of my Retaining Wall

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Last day oathing
Extreme oathing

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I, Before, oath to paint three mooks from Archon Studios Woodhaven townsfolk in September!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Oath complete

Three dudes painted and photographed one even in focus!

I nearly killed myself trying to do eyes that I didn't hate. I don't love them, but after 18 (eighteen) painted eyes, I landed on these.
More fun was painting the silly striped trousers.

And this completes my warband who you can see emerging from the Lost Caves of Retaining Wall having proven, once and for all, that there are no trolls in these caves.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Bonus oath!

I didn't actually oath this for September, but as we're casually swearing...

I finished my warband (see post a couple above), and rolled the start of a new Five Leagues campaign. The first thing that happened was that the party was waylaid before even reaching town. The battle took place along a river. I don't (didn't) have river terrain and have in the past fudged it with printed out, scaled up river battle map images from inkarnate, but it was a bit poo poo. Years ago I saw a video of someone painting terrain on the back of transparent plastic, so I thought I'd have a September crack at it. And here it is:

Still a bit poo poo, but it was a fun and quick project. And cheap: the plastic was AU$10 for 10m2 and craft paint that I have enough of to last a lifetime. Thanks kids.

The trick is that you want to paint on the reverse side of the plastic so your minis aren't trampling all over it. So you have to paint backwards; foreground to background. It's hard to get your head around. And if you let it dry and try to blend over the top of it, that doesn't work as you don't see that when you turn it over to the playing side. See for reference the darker blue pools. One positive discovery was that I taped the plastic down to scrap cardboard to protect the surface of my table while I painted. I then realised I could draw what I wanted on the cardboard as a plan. This was very helpful, and if I do this again, I will take more time to do that properly.

Anyway a fun, cheap and quick project to add some (slightly less poo poo) terrain casually sworn.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Beautiful

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I, Beffer, oath to paint these three scratch built ruined buildings (but not my skirting boards)

Edit: adding a time stamped photo of primed ruins for posterity!

Edit2: adding a couple of Gobbo shootas

Beffer fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 8, 2023

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Oath complete

I like painting terrain. You don't have to be too meticulous and you can just have fun with it. especially scratch built pieces like these (with thanks or apologies to Devs and Dice who provided the instructions, templates and posters on YouTube)

And here are some close ups with the two bonus gobboes: a shoota and a netta! Also fun and quick to paint.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I, Beffer, swear to paint this GW beastman (bestigor?) and some scatter terrain from Archon Studios this November

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Oath complete!

My beastie boy looking down on a campsite I made along with the scatter bits I oathed.

Here he is in close up calculating the drop and whether he can land in the tent to break his fall. Sure, he's all about chaos, but he's not crazy.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
That face is fantastic

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I, Beffer, would like to oath a bridge made of sticks and rubbish, but the weather in Sydney is too good and I think I'll be at the beach so Oath Failed, before I even started!

Finishing the year as an oathbreaker but happy with my decision.

Edit! Scratch that. The weather has been great, but we've had some days that have been too hot to hang outside. So I've had some time to do some mucking around with sticks and bark and gravel and popsicles, and so...

I, Beffer, swear to paint this troll infested bridge, maybe

Beffer fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 17, 2023

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Oath complete!

So the weather has been a bit iffy. Sometimes beautiful but sometimes too hot to go to the beach and sometimes, like today, too wet.

So...
I'm sure there's a troll under this bridge.

There he is!

Scratch built and dodgy in all sorts of ways, but I really enjoy making and painting terrain. The process is so relaxed as you're constrained by your tools and materials, so don't have to strive for perfection. It feels like a great release for me, and a real counterpoint to my very slow painting process for minis (which I also enjoy but is very different).

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I, Beffer, oath to paint Aenur, Sword of Twilight for January!

Happy New Oathing, goons.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Double post, I guess:

Oath complete!

This was probably the quickest and easiest painted mini I've done. I can see now the appeal of the oldhammer style. When it's done well, it's strong faces, a good pose and not cluttered with a million details. It makes it fun and fast to paint. I'm glad because I had too much to drink over Christmas and ordered some more old metal from the troll trader.

Aenur got some paint because one of my war band in Five Leagues (from the Border Princes) died. Here he is meeting his new captain:

"What did you say your name was, sonny? Annie? Never heard of you. Welcome to the band, anyway. Try not to die too fast."

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

They look great. I love the toenails! And I'm relieved you got your gobbos off those filthy round bases.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I have to stop drinking.

Never the right answer

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I, Beffer, swear to paint these several beastie boys from GW this February

I'm setting myself up for failure here, as I'm very slow and I really struggle painting lots of the same thing. But I want them done, and I need the motivation. So here we are.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I, Beffer, must confess to be a despicable pathbreaker despite the leap year bonus day in February

Current progress is one base coat on skin of 4 of 9 models. Ah well.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Is the banner freehand? Very cool

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Does the thing i failed to do last month count?

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

gameraMan posted:

March Oath!

So back maybe 15 years or so ago I started painting again when my son and his friends got into WH4K for a short time. But I was always more into fantasy stuff and started working on Warhammer fantasy figs (those I might use for a D&D game), a bunch of Lizardmen, and bought a couple bigger sets including Slann Mage-Priest, for which this is the chariot thingie with his translator skink dude or whatever. However I dropped off painting for a while (years) and then only picked up again doing D&D type figures (via cheap Reaper Bones figs) for a long time so my lizardmen have gathered a lot of dust. Time to break them out!

Fixed your image tags. All part of the great plan.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Progress(?) report

I’ve currently managed to do four of the eight cowboys that I oathed in February. Done to a very ordinary standard.

I’ve decided that i hate all things chaos with all their fiddly “detail” and I have dedicated my (painting) life to sigmar and purity.

At least until i slap some acrylic on the remaining four at which time i will reassess and maybe paint some more orcs. Such is life.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I, Beffer, completely butchered this February oath but I am heartily sick of these beastie boys so they are done!

These guys nearly killed me. I am not made out for painting groups of the same thing. An oldhammer beastmen set would have been way better as they were all individually mutated, but these guys are about as chaotic as sand. On the other hand an oldhammer beastmen set would have cost about a bajillion dollars, so....

I did enjoy painting some of the individual detail, once I gotten through all the flesh, fur, horns leather, etc. Reading that back, it sounds like I was painting an 80s metal hair band. Maybe I was.

I apologise for the blurry photos, but I could not get the depth of field to cover the full crew, so between the two power photos you can almost see all of my cows in focus. Enjoy!

Onwards and upwards. I have a character or two to paint next, so that should be safely oathable. *famous last words*

And.....

I, Beffer, oath to paint this Victrix norseman posing as a Kislev (or is he Norscan?) refugee this month of April. Probably.

Beffer fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Oath complete

Barely. Still needs to be varnished but done in April (according to the time in American Samoa).

I'll try to take some better photos on the weekend, but this dodgy fella is done.