Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

starting this up for July.

I, Laumella, oath to paint up this Epic Encounter

Been in a bit of a slump painting wise, so thought I'd break it with an organised project with a defined aesthetic: 21 figures, ranging from snakemen grunts up to a massive snake monster with some interesting character pieces on the way. Many of the grunts are just getting a speedpaint, but I've done a zenithal that I'm going to enhance with a drybrush that should create some interesting light and shade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lamuella posted:

Been in a bit of a slump painting wise, so thought I'd break it with an organised project with a defined aesthetic: 21 figures, ranging from snakemen grunts up to a massive snake monster with some interesting character pieces on the way. Many of the grunts are just getting a speedpaint, but I've done a zenithal that I'm going to enhance with a drybrush that should create some interesting light and shade.

Speed paint test on one archer. Not entirely in love with the colours, or the speedpaint effect. Might instead try a brown wash across everything and then snakeman skintone and other details over the top. We'll see.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

gameraMan posted:

So you're using the Army Painter speedpaints too? Yea I'm a little iffy on how they work, trying to decide if i prefer my usual '20 layers of paint' approach...

I did one in speedpaints and was feeling a bit iffy. What I've done is to do a second one with a heavy brown wash over the zenithal, then picking out skin and cloth in regular acrylics. Both take about the same amount of time, and I think I like the look of the wash / acrylic better.

Speedpaint is on the left, acrylic on the right.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lamuella posted:

OK, so two and a bit weeks into July here's where we are:

Mix of techniques on these. I gave up on speedpaints because the results, while quick, were too brash. Instead I did a zenithal on everything, a brown wash over the zenithal, and then a mixture of either acrylic paints or acrylic inks. Partway through the month I bought a bunch of dropper bottles for various projects and used them to mix up appropriate strengths of red, yellow, and blue ink in solution with matte medium and a little bit of airbrush flow improver. The result was a really workable glaze that I could mix to get green and orange (while using blue and red as well) for skintones. I tried doing the same with gold ink with slightly less success.

Still to go: two character minis, one zombi snake, and then Big Snake.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lamuella posted:

OK, so two and a bit weeks into July here's where we are:

Mix of techniques on these. I gave up on speedpaints because the results, while quick, were too brash. Instead I did a zenithal on everything, a brown wash over the zenithal, and then a mixture of either acrylic paints or acrylic inks. Partway through the month I bought a bunch of dropper bottles for various projects and used them to mix up appropriate strengths of red, yellow, and blue ink in solution with matte medium and a little bit of airbrush flow improver. The result was a really workable glaze that I could mix to get green and orange (while using blue and red as well) for skintones. I tried doing the same with gold ink with slightly less success.

Still to go: two character minis, one zombi snake, and then Big Snake.

Zombie Snake. Still a couple of models to paint before I get to the big guy.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

And with the big guy done, that's the oath completed. Will have to see if I can do a group shot

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

gameraMan posted:

Lol ... I so want to buy that set, I love me some lizard dudes...

The snake dudes set is "Epic Encounters: Chambers of the Serpent Folk". And the big mini is "Epic Encounters: Temple of the Snake God". There's a deal for both on Amazon right now. https://www.amazon.com/Steam-Forged-Games-Encounters-Chambers/dp/B098BQWGP3

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Southern Heel posted:

Is it too ambitious? It's been a while since I painted 28mm figures but I thought that one unit per month of ~15 figures (i..e. three units out of that big list) would be a fairly reasonable goal?!

No way to know until you try. Just bear in mind that it's one figure every two days.