Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Though a great fan of Warhammer 40,000, I’ve always found myself WHFB-adjacent - nobody near me wanted to play it and the closest I got was reading WD and drooling over the Army Books and Golden Daemon entries. During Covid I’ve come to enjoy solo gaming and so I decided it was finally time to build that 3rd/4th Edition Fantasy army of my dreams, and who else but the most red army of the red period? The majority of my sculpts are early middlehammer-style figures by Fabelzel, who has done excellent work in mimicking the original designs of... the Chaos Dwarfs!

I oath to paint 1 unit per month for the three months of Sept, Aug, November from the following backlog:

12 (Chaos) Dwarf Thunderers (with Blunderbusses)
15 Chaos Dwarf Warriors with Halberds + Full Command
15 Chaos (Hob) Goblins + Full Command
10 (Hob) Goblin Wolfboys
5 Chaos (Bull) Centaurs

That means: all basecoats and basing at minimum, ideally including lots of highlighting/etc and a movement tray. As a bonus, I would like to paint:

1 Chaos (Dwarf) Champion/Lord
1 Chaos (Dwarf) Sorcerer
1 (Deathstrike Rocket) Bazuka

In completion, this will give me 1250pts of 4th Ed. Chaos Dwarfs, and 750pts for 3rd Edition. The 3rd Edition army list is a patching together of Chaos Allies, Dwarfs, and Orcs & Goblins rather than a discrete list, but I think it is quite appropriate for oldhammer, especially since I'm not entirely sure I'll ever get around to playing it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Beffer posted:

That is a hard core oath. Respect

Is it too ambitious? It's been a while since I painted 28mm figures but I thought that one unit per month of ~15 figures (i..e. three units out of that big list) would be a fairly reasonable goal?!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Here are the two units of chaos dwarf infantry I am hoping to paint. You can see two different styles of sculpts in the blunderbuss unit, one is a freebie I found online, and the other is a sculptor that I subscribed to on Patreon: he many proxy models and so I’m thinking of replacing all the gunners with his style. Probably makes sense to do the Warriors first.!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

X-post from the Minis Painting thread:

Southern Heel posted:

I did a test model for my oath - I tried to keep the layers and palette size small and I think it's mostly worked:

I have a couple of problems with it - - mostly that the blue and the red are too dark. The blue is just a case of starting lighter but I'm not sure about the red - I went with Vallejo Heavy Red > Vermillion > Flaming Orange but it is still quite dull. Any thoughts or opinions before I paint another 30 of these would be gladly appreciated...

The remainder of the Oath (minus the Bull Centaurs!):

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

Here are the two units of chaos dwarf infantry I am hoping to paint. You can see two different styles of sculpts in the blunderbuss unit, one is a freebie I found online, and the other is a sculptor that I subscribed to on Patreon: he many proxy models and so I’m thinking of replacing all the gunners with his style. Probably makes sense to do the Warriors first.!

5/15 warriors done!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

All basecoats down for my dwarfs, and a regiment tray painted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Really excellent job there Beffer!

Hobgoblin Wolf Rider / Goblin Wulfboyz Wolves are basically done but for highlighting the saddles:

I went with contrast paints on these because they'll just end up being drybrushed anyway!