Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
welcome to the outside; one of my best friends is an ex-con. hope you can adjust! poo poo's nutty

definitely look into the trades, a solid network of people can't be a bad thing nowadays. if that sounds like a good idea and if you've never done any serious work with your hands/some tools, picking up a little DIY project around the house might be a good idea. we've actually got a whole subforum for like, crafts and trades and DIY poo poo and stuff. SA has all kinds of subforums for different niches and poo poo.

idk about starting up in a trade at your age (it's not my field) but what you lack in youth you probably make up for in not loving around. I taught a few ex-cons at my job and they're much nicer to work with than dipshit 19 year olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

if we're recommending youtube channels:

https://www.youtube.com/@jonbois jon bois posts videos about lots of things, primarily sports. you don't have to be into sports to find him amusing/interesting; I hate watching pro sports and he's great. his newer videos mostly appear on https://www.youtube.com/@SecretBaseSBN, which is more sports stuff, but sometimes I just like to listen to two dudes tell me about weird hockey rules from the 70s

https://www.youtube.com/@kiwami-japan kiwami japan makes knives out of things that should not become knives

also since you said this:

harveys zoo zoos posted:

but the problem is i don't much know what i'm interested in in real life in the world. all i did inside was read books and try to survive.

if you enjoy reading (I know some prisoners don't really, they just do it to pass the time/learn some skills), there's a website called goodreads you might be interested in - you track/rate the books you've read, get recommendations for books, and so on. the internet is full of horseshit like this for whatever hobbies you have/get into. we also have a couple of subforums for books, one a little more highbrow and one a little more chill

also IDK how big these were in prison, but if you like books, e-readers are pretty cool - carry hundreds of books on you on a device with a backlit screen that lasts weeks on a single charge. lots of companies make them, I'm a big fan of mine. audiobooks are huge now too, which might be cooler for your mom than you, but if she hasn't had anyone to help her keep up on stuff she may have missed it. if she was ever a big reader but lost the ability to that might be kinda neat for her.

not really internet-related but: your local library checks out books and poo poo but they do a lot more nowadays. a lot of them are partnered with services to rent out e-books/audiobooks, and even podunk ones can have some cool poo poo. my hometown library has a few 3d-printers hanging out for people to use.

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 23, 2023

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

if you asked me to read a dusty tome of ancient goon in-jokes after getting out of prison, I'd see about figuring out how to go back

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

harveys zoo zoos posted:

the more i learn about the internet the less time i want to spend on it but so far you folks have been nice so i like it here.

this instinct will take you far