Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
hi harvey, i'm glad you're out and feeling good. welcome to the internet! have a million people sent you that bo burnham song?

for reference this is the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU

For further reference, Bo Burnham is one of the earlier internet celebrity success stories, he was popular on Youtube for writing silly parody songs when he was 16 and had tons of sucess but started having anxiety attacks on stage and quit his career for several years, only releasing this new work during the pandemic, at age 30. The arc of his life being that he was 'raised' by the internet and he now views as a dark thing which allows us to indulge our worst habits.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

MrQwerty posted:

this website originally began as a spinoff of Planet Quake and Planet Half-Life, two websites run by Gamespy 24 years ago about Quake and Half-Life; so in its origins, it is a videogame community. A lot of the old timers like myself came here from there, and the community grew from that when Lowtax started the forums after he left PQ and started his own website with Fragmaster from PHL.

this is SA lore I honestly didn't know

so you're telling me, we should actually be blaming Gamespy for 4chan?

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 24, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

harveys zoo zoos posted:

wow just think if you were a guard with a pocket full of cum rags running to the lady dorm hahahaha

the one public service an LEO ever offered

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 24, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

elmer chud posted:

No one actually thinks the OP is true right?

being cynical and thinking everyone on the internet is lying is out, appreciating wholesome sincerity is in, get on board or :getout:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

harveys zoo zoos posted:

oh i had to google search those. my cousin has a playstation that he let me play, i don't remember the game. are those things better than computers for games

OP, the current Nintendo system is called a Switch, it's like a super fancy game boy that can hook up to your tv. You can use it on the go because it has a tiny screen.

Anyway one of the most celebrated games for the Switch is the Zelda game from 2017, Breath of the Wild. It's known for being a large world you can explore as you please, you can fly through the sky and take things at your own pace. You start off with almost nothing in the middle of the map, and you can choose to fight Ganon right then with a stick and just 3 hearts, or you can explore to get stronger. You have the freedom to proceed how you like.

The sequel, Tears of the Kingdom, was just released May 12 and people are going nuts for it. It's wholesome and engaging.

Anyway my rec is you should pick up a Switch and both/either Zelda games.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 24, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
My man's a beans chili guy, I knew you were good folks

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Oh man so much good food out there OP I'm so excited for you

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The 'in a vacuum' part just a bit too internet culture for me to buy this at this very moment.

w-what

'in a vacuum' is not internet culture or SA poo poo, that poo poo's been said since the ~1600s when we discovered the science of vacuums

and white people have been talking to each other about white privilege for a while, but it is especially gonna come from a guy reading uk le guin and such while incarcerated.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
i lost my gang tags bc of a red text and need to begin again, a harvey gang tag would be great

edit: to clarify for harvey - the users here can, if they so choose, pay to add red text under another users avatar. someone bought a red text for me and it was a kinda hosed up one, and the mods were kind enough to fix my setup to this avatar/text combo which makes no sense so I love it, but yeah in the process all my gang tags were nuked.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 26, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Pink Mist posted:

The facebook/twitter style of website became more popular. The likes/followers/short posts/etc. are designed specifically to keep people clicking. And there’s also no paywall so posting is easier

Yeh, this is why we already had the weird content mill tweets, where people just post images of SA posts with spicy meta-commentary like 'lol I'm dying' and 'goons :rolleyes:'

People seeking their dopamine hits from stripmining forums content for their handful of Twitter followers is...well, welcome to the internet in 2023, OP.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 31, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I just realized OP got to miss ALL ten years of of GoT being the dominant pop culture entity

you lucky bastard

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Starship Troopers is weird bc it's a parody of the book from which it's based, basically thumbing it's nose at the original book, but you'd had to have read the book to get that, so a whole generation of 10 yo boys who saw it all they took away was BUGS, BLAM BLAM, OOH UNISEX SHOWERS

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yes congrats on the job! Sounds like a good gig and I hope it keeps you busy.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

harveys zoo zoos posted:

yes this is what i planned to do but i thought it would still be fun to get some suggestions. her name is priscilla or prissy or miss priss.

Oh she's gotta be Priscilla, Queen of the Desert for her full name

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Cynics begone. This is now the thread for Priscilla's nicknames.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
no regrets, it was a great thread. probably one of the funner times on the forums in recent history.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

was the cat real

this is the most important question of the thread

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

no regrets, it was a great thread. nobody reflect on the fact that if oz-enjoyer started a gofundme, many people would've been fleeced

the thing that would've made me immediately suspect and would've ruined the thread enjoyment is if money had come into it. doobie's dog house and lowtax have both ensured that SA gofundmes are a bad idea. as it is, it was just a nice thread about a chill guy picking up his life which those who posted in enjoyed.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 5, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I heard the phrase "in a vacuum" and immediately fingered the poster as a goon

I maintain this is the dumbest justification for why it's fake bc 'in a vacuum' is not a goon phrase

Other people have pointed out way more valid reasons, but it was fun to believe and play along.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

get the cat an account

This

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
This thread was fun but now no one's going to play along anymore, so unfortunately it's going to devolve. Thanks for the wholesome good time while it lasted, folks.