Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Well, read the thread from the beginning and I'm all caught up. A very good read, thanks Harvey!

My dayjob is in cybersecurity (trying to stop hackers) and you mentioned liking Mr. Robot so I'll say this: Usually the way hacking is portrayed in movies and TV is completely unrealistic and most of the time just silly. But the hacking in Mr. Robot is some of the most realistic ever shown on TV, which makes the show that much better.

Good to have you around, looking forward to more stories. Best of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A Terrible Person posted:

My ex-wife has been continually jokingly asking what I am going to do if one of you knows my address and decides to come
kill, cook, and eat me.

Um, bon appetit?

Stop trying to make this thread about you.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

harveys zoo zoos posted:

and a general internet question. my mom had dial-up internet for a very long time. are there still people who use that

Probably there are some holdouts somewhere but by and large, no. The internet has become so heavy that it'd be pretty much unusable. Websites consist of images, gifs (animated images), videos, javascript (code that makes the sites do fancy things), etc. This makes the average basic website several megabytes big, and that would just take way too long on dialup. Like 10-20 minutes for an average site.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

harveys zoo zoos posted:

okay. do you think i will be able to play games with my 25mb connection. i think cousin todd might upgrade our service though, he said something about that.

Should be okay for games. They'll just take a looooong rear end time to download, but playing them should be no problem.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

First of all, it's a magazine and not a clip and furthermore,

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

AcidCat posted:

OP you can see a lesson here already, certain topics are guaranteed to lead to lengthy argumentative derails, Star Wars being one of the prime topics to avoid.

Every time OP posts a question like that my jaded internet brain thinks: "this is too perfect of a question. OP must be doing this to get goons riled up for pages and pages"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

By the way Harvey, I don't know if you noticed or anyone told you already, but when people say OP in this thread, they mean you. It refers to the poster who opened the thread. Sorry if you already knew that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm pretty suspicious of OP being a gimmick account but it's been a good read. Thread seems to be winding down so we'll see if he is sincere or inevitably slips up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If Harvey is real I wish him all the best. Try not to kill anyone else.