Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

isaboo posted:

I'm posting this at Harvey's request.

This may get some hate, I don't know, but gently caress the haters.

I'm the voice of forums poster harveys zoo zoos.

I've known the real "Harvey" since I was 12 and he was 10 years old. His family moved away after his real Dad died, but we stayed in touch and would visit each other during our summer breaks from school. I wrote to him while he was incarcerated and visited when I could.

The crime he committed was similar to the one described in this thread - a murder done to avenge someone very close to him who suffered a great deal at the hands of someone the victim trusted. So in that respect, if you feel the murder of 'Harvey's' stepdad was justified, I can assure you that you'd find the real crime justified as well. He got the same kind of sentence described here, too.

When he was released he had a rough time. The halfway house he went to wasn't a good environment for him and made his attempt at integration back into society even more difficult than it would have been otherwise. We reconnected and I went to visit him at his mother's home.

There, he told me many of the same things that are in this thread and some things that aren't. I asked him a million questions about his life inside and he always answered truthfully and fully. His story is amazing and I asked him how he felt about sharing it. At first, we thought about me writing a fictional account of it based on his experiences. But, as some of you may be aware from the stories I've posted in GBS, I'm not a good writer. So, we thought of something else.

He's fascinated by technology and especially the internet. In our talks he asked things about how the world has changed, and asked how hard it would be for him to catch up. So, I had the idea to set SA loose on him, under my guidance. I've been here long enough to have a good idea how goons would respond. I expected some jokes, shitposting, and all the other SA-isms and warned him of those but I was confident goons would give him some great information and advice. There are so many different people here on SA, with so many varied interests, that I could see y'all coming out of niche subforums to expose Harvey to subjects I wouldn't have thought of.

Another motivation for this was to raise awareness of just how bad the American prison system is. Other people in the system have fared much worse than Harvey. It's a loving nightmare inside. Even if only a few people have learned something, it has been worth it.

He liked the idea but was hesitant at first so I had him poke around the forums to decide if it was a place he'd like to learn more about. After a couple of months of lurking, he was ready.

So I created the account and started the thread. We felt that letting y'all drive the thread, by asking questions, was a better way than just posting walls of text. I told him we'd bail soon if the thread wasn't supportive.

All of the questions harveys zoo zoos posted came from "Harvey".

Some of the answers came from me after research, but were driven by Harvey. Most of the answers, though, he either texted or told to me over the phone. For a lot of them he was right next to me, typing them on my computer.

Once the thread got mentioned on Twitter, Harvey got a bit nervous and almost decided to leave. But since the repsonse was overwhelmingly positive, he chilled out.

Cousin Todd does exist and helps Harvey out, but has never posted here. I just used that as an opportunity to explain how Harvey found SA. At first we never intended for me to say anything about my involvement, but at this point I thought we should.

Harvey's had his fill of SA for now, or at least in this thread. I think he wants to take a break from talking about this stuff and I can't say I blame him. And, he's starting his new job so he'll have less time to spend here.

Now he has his own, curated by goons encylopedia of modern internet life. I think I might organize the links and such by category in a self-hosted wiki for him. I've got a couple of ideas.

In case you're wondering, the "cyber prison for weirdos" and "cum town sounds like the prison shower" posts are 100% pure and unadulterated Harvey. The cum town one slayed me over the phone.

Most importantly the cat adoption is 100% real.

Harvey has a fantastic sense of humor despite his life, and that's one of the things that makes him a joy to be around. He's a genuinely humble person and full of hard-earned wisdom.

So now Harvey has a community of people that genuinely seem to care about his future and well being. He'll continue to post on his own, I'm sure. I don't know if he'll take over the harveys zoo zoos account or register one of his own later, but he did say he wants be a part of the community.

Y'all didn't disappoint us. Y'all are good people.

And as Harvey says every time we hang up after talking, "Be kind to yourself. Have a great day and a better tomorrow."

Thanks for being nice to my friend.

Now go get 'em, Harvey.

harveys zoo zoos posted:

this is all true.

and thank you, goons, for being nice and teaching me a few things. i really do appreciate it. i'll be seeing you around

oh and if any of you want to help people like me, look into donating to an ex-con support org. i won't suggest any, i'll leave that up to you. but i'd say one of the pet support groups, art and music support groups and stuff like that would be cool. i'm sure they're underfunded. or just a soup kitchen somewhere ex-cons frequent. i don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
im permabanned poster harveystomper58. i first started reading gbs when i was about 40. by 50 i got really obsessed with the concept of "prison" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like ""cum town sounds like the prison shower" and "curated by goons encylopedia of modern internet life. I think I might organize the links and such by category in a self-hosted wiki for him." in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of GBS humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" GBS to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to being a pathological liar. peace.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
bust con

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

isaboo posted:

I've never seen that thread before. I recognize the name Bust Rodd but I don't know what the deal with him is.

its you

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
it would have been cool as hell if a gofundme was started

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

isaboo posted:

lol, never change, goons. Like I said y'all don't disappoint, for better or for worse.

I wrote a bunch of stuff addressing various points made but realized it would just end with accusations of doubling down (and still will anyway). I get it, I've been here a long time.

Anyway, my friend "Harvey" is real, Miss Priss' adoption was real, the job is real, Cousin Todd is real (though that's not his name), and the stories about life inside are real (with a few embellishments and changes). The victim, the abuse, and the outcome are accurate but a couple of details were changed.

And ya know what, the advice and recommendations given were real, so thanks. The anime talk was wasted breath, but still appreciated.

Ain't this what it's all about, anyway?

Y'all can close the thread, gas it, nuke it from orbit, continue to dogpile, whatever. Harvey says he'll stick around so it's all good.

bruh

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
whitebeard bleeding from multiple wounds and dying after being betrayed by blackbeard shotung HARVEY IS REAL before he dies of wounds

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Endorph posted:

blackbeard stepping out of the shadows revealing that he can now post from two accounts at once

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

isaboo posted:

Yeah I don't know why he's fixated on that phrase, Harvey may or may not have said it, I can't remember. It's not a foreign language and the guy reads a lot but I get that an ex-con using those words could be suspicious to some folks.

Like I said he was following along while we were on the phone or right next to me. Sometimes I rephrased what he said, sometimes I didn't, sometimes he posted things himself.

Anyway, y'all can play amongst yourselves now. For those of you that enjoyed Harvey's story and gave good advice, thanks.

you broke kayfabe you cant start kayfabing again after you broke kayfabe you dumb bitch

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
bust rodd

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
bust todd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

And to think I was going to goodmine this thread

(gbs moderator stepping out of leviathans torture chamber as hellraiser 2 music swells in the background) and to think... i hesitated to goodmine the thread