Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Revolute posted:

Making my first post in 10 years to say welcome to the forums, Harvey!

I’ve seen some guys in prison make electric guitars and stuff like that. Did you ever have any musicians or particularly good singers around in there?

Hi superlurker
I read the thing on your profile that you said no one reads btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Vapor Moon posted:

Hi Harvey, a decade ago this song was insanely popular worldwide and was the first video on youtube to have 1Billion views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

Things got weird.
It holds up!!

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

The thing about most movies is that they exist within a specific context, and a window of time, even subjectivity aside. Something might have been an amazing movie for you when you saw it, but had you seen it 10 years later instead you might have hated it.

We tend to remember the movies as we experienced them in the time and context the first time, and if we're lucky we might get to keep that context internally on future watchings, but largely you'll go back and realize that it isn't as good as it felt originally.

So if I see someone who doesn't like starship troopers, a film that *largely at least* holds up fairly well, I feel inclined to chalk that up to having experienced it much later than most people.

But I challenge anyone to go back and actually watch movies they enjoyed 20 years ago with fresh eyes, perhaps with someone who hasn't seen it. It can be disheartening if it's something near and dear to you, but a lot of the stuff we grew up loving was only good because of the set and setting it was initially presented in.

This concludes my Ted talk: your favorite movie is probably bad, and why that's okay

This is interesting^

Perhaps the mark of a truly "great" movie is one that holds up 20 or 30 years later when you are, due to life experiences, a very different person in a very different place yrt the movie is still enthralling.

Examples: The Thing, Aliens 1 and 2, Terminator 1 and 2

all still absolutely worth watching

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Oh
On May 26 I think it was I decided Harvey was Bust Rodd after I looked up the thread he made about his convict brother who got out.

Lots of similarities. Here's that thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902146
I didn't post because I didn't want to get poo poo on

I knew it would come out in the end

I was very close

Spinz fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 5, 2023

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I thought cousin Todd was a little too on the nose though, and was surprised no one had said anything

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Stefan Prodan posted:

don't even know how I would handle it if harvey was bust rodd lmao

I thought it was fabulous revenge lol

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

no regrets, it was a great thread. nobody reflect on the fact that if oz-enjoyer started a gofundme, many people would've been fleeced

Naw, I would have posted and there would have been some scrutiny then

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I'm not gonna hold a grudge

It was obvious that you have a ton of inside knowledge about prison life, everything being salty on the outside rang immediately true for me for example

Did you get scared when it went so viral on Twitter? I would have been.

What prompted the reveal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

isaboo posted:

Yes I mentioned this but when it hit Twitter he got anxious. It was mostly good vibes there though so he calmed down.

He can say more about this if he wants, but he just didn't want to use this forum or format to talk about it any longer. I think he said something like "I don't know man, I think we should end this, how about making a post explaining and thanking people for their help."
I was posting to you not him :)