Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Welcome to the internet, Harvey. May your stay be a wholesome and productive one.

Most people here are nice and we have some seriously gifted creative types. I'm sure you'll find your place in our little community.

Since you watch a lot of TV, come chat with us in the TVIV subforum. You mentioned you like Succession, and we have a thread for it here.

Also, I would be remiss not to invite you to the best thread on this site, the sardine thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
:stonk:

How is this thread not gold yet

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

elmer chud posted:

No one actually thinks the OP is true right?

I don't know but prison, and especially a lengthy sentence like the OP got, is something none of us here can really relate to. I've heard wild stories from ex-cons I've known and popular media has some hosed up true prison tales too. But anyway I'm here for the ride and it's good so far.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 24, 2023

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Dude. Do not stop posting. Seriously.
You're good, my dawg.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
'zoo zoos crew'

'harveys road dogs'

Solid gang tag choices, imo. That is, if you want to be associated with an ex-con! No offense intended, Harvey!

isaboo fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 26, 2023

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yo Harvs, I've got another question to add to the pile for you.

I know a lot of prisoners paint, make sculptures with soap or toilet paper, etc and have sold their art for lots of cash. Did you do anything like that or know an inmate who did?

btw the zoo zoo I'm eating right now is an oatmeal cream pie

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Haverchuck posted:

during the early oughts I discovered hundreds of bands and artists that I would have never had a clue about by downloading music from peer-to-peer filesharing clients like napster and limewire. There was at least one that allowed you to search through other peoples libraries and had dedicated chat rooms for various musical genres.

soulseek still exists and is cool and good :)

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Harvey if you want a goofy fun space movie, I recommend 1984's The Ice Pirates.

Just watch out for Space Herpes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5gHZWxxVhk

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I wondered about making a poll to vote on what Harvey should watch next but there's just way too much stuff out there. We could stick to big ones like The Wire, Sopranos, GoT, LOST, etc but that'd still be a big poll. And a lot of those are huge time sinks.

Plus the Goku option might confuse Harvs.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Dick Fontaine posted:

Hey OP, I don’t know if anyone has told you yet but anime is bad. You should remember that if you want to keep living your best life. French cartoons are pretty cool though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQJGsn_UIuE

I don't know if Harvey will watch this, but I sure as gently caress will. Thanks!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm harveys zoo zoos

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm posting this at Harvey's request.

This may get some hate, I don't know, but gently caress the haters.

I'm the voice of forums poster harveys zoo zoos.

I've known the real "Harvey" since I was 12 and he was 10 years old. His family moved away after his real Dad died, but we stayed in touch and would visit each other during our summer breaks from school. I wrote to him while he was incarcerated and visited when I could.

The crime he committed was similar to the one described in this thread - a murder done to avenge someone very close to him who suffered a great deal at the hands of someone the victim trusted. So in that respect, if you feel the murder of 'Harvey's' stepdad was justified, I can assure you that you'd find the real crime justified as well. He got the same kind of sentence described here, too.

When he was released he had a rough time. The halfway house he went to wasn't a good environment for him and made his attempt at integration back into society even more difficult than it would have been otherwise. We reconnected and I went to visit him at his mother's home.

There, he told me many of the same things that are in this thread and some things that aren't. I asked him a million questions about his life inside and he always answered truthfully and fully. His story is amazing and I asked him how he felt about sharing it. At first, we thought about me writing a fictional account of it based on his experiences. But, as some of you may be aware from the stories I've posted in GBS, I'm not a good writer. So, we thought of something else.

He's fascinated by technology and especially the internet. In our talks he asked things about how the world has changed, and asked how hard it would be for him to catch up. So, I had the idea to set SA loose on him, under my guidance. I've been here long enough to have a good idea how goons would respond. I expected some jokes, shitposting, and all the other SA-isms and warned him of those but I was confident goons would give him some great information and advice. There are so many different people here on SA, with so many varied interests, that I could see y'all coming out of niche subforums to expose Harvey to subjects I wouldn't have thought of.

Another motivation for this was to raise awareness of just how bad the American prison system is. Other people in the system have fared much worse than Harvey. It's a loving nightmare inside. Even if only a few people have learned something, it has been worth it.

He liked the idea but was hesitant at first so I had him poke around the forums to decide if it was a place he'd like to learn more about. After a couple of months of lurking, he was ready.

So I created the account and started the thread. We felt that letting y'all drive the thread, by asking questions, was a better way than just posting walls of text. I told him we'd bail soon if the thread wasn't supportive.

All of the questions harveys zoo zoos posted came from "Harvey".

Some of the answers came from me after research, but were driven by Harvey. Most of the answers, though, he either texted or told to me over the phone. For a lot of them he was right next to me, typing them on my computer.

Once the thread got mentioned on Twitter, Harvey got a bit nervous and almost decided to leave. But since the repsonse was overwhelmingly positive, he chilled out.

Cousin Todd does exist and helps Harvey out, but has never posted here. I just used that as an opportunity to explain how Harvey found SA. At first we never intended for me to say anything about my involvement, but at this point I thought we should.

Harvey's had his fill of SA for now, or at least in this thread. I think he wants to take a break from talking about this stuff and I can't say I blame him. And, he's starting his new job so he'll have less time to spend here.

Now he has his own, curated by goons encylopedia of modern internet life. I think I might organize the links and such by category in a self-hosted wiki for him. I've got a couple of ideas.

In case you're wondering, the "cyber prison for weirdos" and "cum town sounds like the prison shower" posts are 100% pure and unadulterated Harvey. The cum town one slayed me over the phone.

Most importantly the cat adoption is 100% real.

Harvey has a fantastic sense of humor despite his life, and that's one of the things that makes him a joy to be around. He's a genuinely humble person and full of hard-earned wisdom.

So now Harvey has a community of people that genuinely seem to care about his future and well being. He'll continue to post on his own, I'm sure. I don't know if he'll take over the harveys zoo zoos account or register one of his own later, but he did say he wants be a part of the community.

Y'all didn't disappoint us. Y'all are good people.

And as Harvey says every time we hang up after talking, "Be kind to yourself. Have a great day and a better tomorrow."

Thanks for being nice to my friend.

Now go get 'em, Harvey.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Spinz posted:

Oh
On May 26 I think it was I decided Harvey was Bust Rodd after I looked up the thread he made about his convict brother who got out.

Lots of similarities. Here's that thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902146
I didn't post because I didn't want to get poo poo on

I knew it would come out in the end

I was very close

I've never seen that thread before. I recognize the name Bust Rodd but I don't know what the deal with him is.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Anyway, it was nice seeing most goons being nice to Harvey. :)

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
lol, never change, goons. Like I said y'all don't disappoint, for better or for worse.

I wrote a bunch of stuff addressing various points made but realized it would just end with accusations of doubling down (and still will anyway). I get it, I've been here a long time.

Anyway, my friend "Harvey" is real, Miss Priss' adoption was real, the job is real, Cousin Todd is real (though that's not his name), and the stories about life inside are real (with a few embellishments and changes). The victim, the abuse, and the outcome are accurate but a couple of details were changed.

And ya know what, the advice and recommendations given were real, so thanks. The anime talk was wasted breath, but still appreciated.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

no regrets, it was a great thread. probably one of the funner times on the forums in recent history.

Ain't this what it's all about, anyway?

Y'all can close the thread, gas it, nuke it from orbit, continue to dogpile, whatever. Harvey says he'll stick around so it's all good.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

lol these are great, thanks

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

free hubcaps posted:

Thing is you could have easily done this in a non-disingenuous way instead of indulging your creative writing talents, now whenever harvey posts people are going to be sus that it's not actually him.

He wanted an outlet to talk about things and this was the way he was most comfortable doing it so that's what we did.

But yeah, I don't know if he'll want to continue posting with the harveys zoo zoos account. When he told me about that term being used in prison I said it'd make a great username and that's how the ball got rolling.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I was wondering what the red text would be and how long it would take. What's the picture from?

cumpantry posted:

Passive aggressive bitch. User loses posting privileges for 12 hours.

I wish I could remember what that was about but I think it might have been something I posted about mangosteens in one of his threads. Or maybe that was prior to the mangosteen stuff, I don't know.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Isaboo is bigpeeler right?

5 golden manbabies amirite

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Spinz posted:

I'm not gonna hold a grudge

It was obvious that you have a ton of inside knowledge about prison life, everything being salty on the outside rang immediately true for me for example

Did you get scared when it went so viral on Twitter? I would have been.

What prompted the reveal?

Yes I mentioned this but when it hit Twitter he got anxious. It was mostly good vibes there though so he calmed down.

He can say more about this if he wants, but he just didn't want to use this forum or format to talk about it any longer. I think he said something like "I don't know man, I think we should end this, how about making a post explaining and thanking people for their help."

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

pandy fackler posted:

why did you cheerlead yourself in other threads like you weren't the author lol

lol, making a single joke in a thread about harvey being a mod at the height of his popularity is cheerleading. okay.

I told him it would be funny for someone to make a pitch for him to be a mod, given the history of mods on SA.

lol the best part about this is watching the thread vote go down down down

isaboo fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 5, 2023

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
lol yeah, after 20 years I'm chasing goon cred in tyool 2023

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

:gas: thread ban isaboo

lol I saw that before the edit

oh no! anyway,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah I don't know why he's fixated on that phrase, Harvey may or may not have said it, I can't remember. It's not a foreign language and the guy reads a lot but I get that an ex-con using those words could be suspicious to some folks.

Like I said he was following along while we were on the phone or right next to me. Sometimes I rephrased what he said, sometimes I didn't, sometimes he posted things himself.

Anyway, y'all can play amongst yourselves now. For those of you that enjoyed Harvey's story and gave good advice, thanks.

VVV or continue to be angry lol

isaboo fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 5, 2023