Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I’m only up to page 7 so forgive me if this is mentioned but you should check out this thing called internet piracy. Basically everything is free now. Don’t listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. Ask your cousin about BitTorrent, private trackers, seedboxes, and VPNs to get started. :yarr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I just realized that you may have missed out on the revelation that UFOs are real. In 2017 the US Navy admitted to chasing a bunch of them around Catalina Island in 2004 (plus at least two other incidences), and nobody knows what the gently caress they are or where they come from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFxZEm2wMl4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpeSpA3e56A

And if UFO stuff in general is of any interest to you, this new documentary about a case that occurred in Brazil in 1996 is loving bonkers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE7hVSlk7Zw

I guess what I’m getting at is that you should spend some time outside at night enjoying the stars now that you are afforded that luxury, because you might see some super weird poo poo.

Also, if you haven’t seen it, Breaking Bad is the best TV show of all time.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 27, 2023

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

"UFOs are real" is just objectively a dumb statement. Of course they are real, that just means there was something in the air they couldn't identify.

No even remotely reputable source anywhere actually thinks aliens are involved, which is the implication.

Just as a heads-up OP, if you want to talk about UFOs online you’ll meet a lot of simpletons like this poster. They’re called “debunkers” and they routinely pull vindictive, nonsensical arguments out of the ether in misguided attempts to “dunk” on those of us who have seen them IRL.

IRL means “in real life,” BTW. (They’re real.)

(And they’re from outer space.)

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

I legitimately can't tell if that's brain damage or trolling, but :discourse:

Look, I get it, you’re trying to backseat moderate this thread to stop people from tricking OP into believing nonsensical things because there’s a big stick up your butt and you like that stick right where it is. But there’s a big difference between trying to trick someone to believe that LOL means “lots of laughs” (which is spiteful and antisocial, not to mention completely irredeemable in the eyes of society) and letting someone know that the US gov’t has admitted that UFOs are real, they are from space, and that they are piloted by greasy brown 3’ tall monsters with big red eyes and they smell like cat piss (which is 100% fact you haven’t even watched the documentary yet), and which it seems you are jealous to have been left out of the memo on.

Well guess what? Jealousy’s a disease, and I hope you get well soon. ;-*

See what I mean, OP? Total party poopers.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Can I get one of our two Brazilian goons to back me up on the 100% completely factual cat piss alien story from 1996?? Plz tia. I’m being surrounded on all flanks by angry flat earthers in here.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Hey Harvey check out this cool video.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

XYZAB posted:

Hey Harvey check out this cool video.

Hey Harvey you should post a new thread in TV/IV with the title “Firefly deserved to get canceled” and then in the body of the thread post nothing but a link to that video I just showed you.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Please give context

And ruin the Rube Goldberg machine I’m painstakingly attempting to set in motion? :rolleyes:

e: :synpa:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Hey Harvey what kind of music are you into? You should go see a concert, there are a lot of sick bands out there putting on some insane live performances now. For example.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Hell yeah. I'm the goon who asked about music. And I'm glad to hear you like Sabbath. I hosted a stoner rock radio show for a while and this poo poo is right up my alley.

You might also enjoy:

Kadavar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHqF22EQc3A

Triggerfinger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKqxPx05AhA

Clutch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sj76eCy6ag

Mastodon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6WGNd8QR-U

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9qWYUH5x3k

Edit :q: :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC1FxMPmn2s

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 31, 2023

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

cumpantry posted:

harvey you should watch starship troopers

Also: The Fifth Element

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

big cummers ONLY posted:

I keep a doc with racist/sexist/etc poo poo my boss says, times they ask me to work without pay or do things outside of my job description, etc. I hope I will never have to use it... but I have. Dates and times and specifics have saved my job before. I'm lucky to have a job now where I haven't had to open that document a single time. It's the only job I've had in 15 years where it hasn't been useful

On this note, all cell phones now have pretty decent audio recording apps, either by default or available in their respective app stores. This can be to your benefit if you need to entrap some dumb bozo into talking poo poo when he should have kept his mouth shut record audio for any reason at all. Just be aware of whether your state has single party consent for recording or not, otherwise this could be unlawful.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Hey Harvey, if you get a phone call from someone claiming to be your grandson/granddaughter and they claim they've been kidnapped and the only way you're ever going to see them again is to send $5000 in iTunes gift cards to a foreign country, it's 100% legit.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
What was prison like when the dot com bubble burst?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Harvey, son, it's about time papa XYZAB took you on his knee and exlained to you the three main types of image files and their respective compression algorithms.

When you see an "image" on the internet, there's a high probability that it is one of three (3) filetypes: .JPEG (or .JPG), .GIF, and .PNG.

JPEG images were the standard image file type for pretty much the entire time you spent in the clink (from 1992 to present). Their main benefit is that, through the JPEG compression algorithm, a lossless (read: full quality) digital image, which takes up a LOT of storage space, can be compressed into a much smaller image by obfuscating and eliminating certain bytes of data that aren't necesarilly relevant for that image to be comprehended by the human eye. The higher the image is compressed, though, the more apparent become the visual "artifacts," in the form is blocky grid-like textures and a general sense of digital noise or degredation.

PNG images have been quietly replacing the more ubiquitous JPEG format for a decade or so, but there will likely be a use-case for both formats for quite some time to come, so expect to find both in relatively the same quantity for some time yet. PNG images offer the benefit of a transparency layer, which can allow portions of images to overlap each other on a website, or progressive fades to occur between visual elements, and there is no visual "noise" degredation or "artifacting" as you would expect to find in lmore highly-compressed/lower-bitrate JPEG images.

GIFs can also use transparency, but whereas the transparency layer in a PNG image exists on a spectrum of essentially 0 (fully transparent) to 100 (fully opaque), the transparency of a GIF image is either on or off, (0 or 100). There is no inbetween. In addition to this, whereas both JPEG and PNG images can have millions of colours, GIF images can only contain up to 256 colours. GIF images predate JPEG images by about five years, and hail from an era of computing where you were lucky if your display had more colours than green and black. But, because GIFs were coded to allow for simple animations, they still reign supreme in their little niche nearly 35 years later.

But the most important part about any of this, and what I want you to take with you from this post if you take from it anything at all, is that GIF is pronounced "JIFF," like the peanut butter brand "Jif", or like the G in "Giraffe." People who say "GIF" with a G like in "GOLF" don't realize that if you say it like that, you will be mistaken for saying "GIFT," which makes you sound like an idiot, because people who say it like "GIFT" are bottom-feeding mouth breathers.

Hope this helps.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

thanks for this harv, i've queued up a name change for that poster :thanks:

I thoroughly enjoy the lengths we’re all going to to make Harvey feel welcome here, don’t get me wrong. But don’t you think that exposing him to this much unmitigated power over others might be feeding his ego too much? That it all might be going straight to his head? Next thing you know he might kill a guy.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

Was it the constant sexual abuse that made you this insufferable, or is it a choice?

Again, jealousy is a disease. Get well soon.

You wish you were as hot as I was in grade 3. ;-*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
That’s a beautiful cat, Harvey. Just be aware that all-white cats are prone to going deaf, if she isn’t already. And deaf cats can turn into super loud, obnoxious, attention-demanding psychos, much like forums poster PlaysGamesWrong.

And no, I’m not trying to string you along as a gag this time after being thoroughly roasted by you last time. White cats and deafness go hand-in-hand.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
HAHAHA holy gently caress

EDIT: WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS EGG AVATAR???

ALSO :synpa:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
i wonder if forums poster PlaysGamesWrong feels like a stupid moron right about now for complaining about people rickrolling this guy or not

because lmao

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Cousin Todd posted:

"disco donut" is that anything?

:shibewow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Cousin Todd posted:

I'm sorry that your own family doesn't love you, and you feel the need to lash out at others as a way to cope with the constant rejection. I forgive you.

:w00t:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)